New pole barn shop progress

estesbubba

Great looking shop.  It's almost identical to mine - overhang and all.  Did the same on the inside with the walls, very nearly the same setup as I have.  I did put hard deck down up in the attic space to use it as storage, and mine wasn't built with an overhanging eave all the way around so now I'm having to go back and add in gable end vents because I was dumb and didn't think of that problem.  Gets a little hot up there in the summer, 120ish at times... :unsure:

These styrofoam vent panels attach to the purlins and girts to allow air circulation behind them after the insulation is blown in. They keep the insulation from covering the vent openings but allow air to flow behind them.

IMG_0168.JPG

Great looking shop. It's almost identical to mine - overhang and all. Did the same on the inside with the walls, very nearly the same setup as I have. I did put hard deck down up in the attic space to use it as storage, and mine wasn't built with an overhanging eave all the way around so now I'm having to go back and add in gable end vents because I was dumb and didn't think of that problem. Gets a little hot up there in the summer, 120ish at times... :unsure:

No wall mounted AC?

Does the styrofoam only go around the vents to help them or the whole area?

Painting is done! The new pics probably don't look much different but I spent all day putting 2 coats on all the trim plus ceiling. Final tally is 10 gallons of primer and 9 gallons of paint. All I know is if a woodchuck sees his shadow in the shop then he must be drunk.

Actually shop construction is all done and I can move the rest of my stuff in! As much as I hate painting it's a good feeling I didn't cut corners during the construction to speed things up. I used screws for everything except the window trim.

Next is getting the cyclone installed and figuring out the ducting, but that's woodworking stuff now so I'm a happy camper!

post-8178-14185278460012_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14185278632837_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14185278744364_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14185278850078_thumb.jpg

On Sunday a friend from work came over and helped me get networking into the shop from the house. We put a wireless access point in the house and a wireless bridge in the shop. I have 2 wired Ethernet jacks on the West wall plus wireless access point in the ceiling. Since the building has a separate feed from the transformer I put a WeMo wifi light switch for the porch which I can control with an app. I need to tidy things up but its all working.

post-8178-14189926520286_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14189926649029_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14189926791176_thumb.jpg

I also picked up of the stuff for my DC ducting and more on the way. I'm using spiral pipe and they are custom making the 6,6,6 spiral laterals. Their prices are way better than anyone I found online. Now I have to figure how to lift 300 lbs. motor assembly 8' high.

post-8178-14189931704527_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Mike!  Where did you end up getting your ducting from?

It's a local business WSM Industries and the 6" spiral pipe is only $1.60/ft. Blast Gate Co is $2.71/ft and Penn St over $4/ft. I paid $35/each for 6, 6, 6 laterals and BGC & PS are $50 and I'm sure shipping is crazy high. 

I have 3 drops that I need to split with 6, 4, 4 laterals and the lady said it's cheaper to do a 6, 6, 6 with reducers. This will also be better as I'll use 6" blast gates instead of 4", and if I ever put 6" ports on machines, a lot easier.

I have a lot of shop projects I want to do but decided to transfer most stuff as-is for now. With the new saw I need to build an outfeed table and crosscut sled for now.

Problem with this site is you see all kinds of cool shop projects and I want to do them all. Problem is if I did them all I would die with the coolest shop that never had a project come out of it.

• Like 2