Chatter marks.

avion2001

Looks like African mahogany? which has reversing grain and can be an absolute nightmare for tearout.  Without a drum sander or a shelix head in your planer you may be looking at a problem.  Hand planes, even with the sharpest blade and highest angle will still struggle with that reversing grain in African mahogany.  You could try scrapers...but that's gonna be a LOT of scraping.  Same story for a ROS.

sharper knives and lighter passes.  Brandon is correct, that is tear out, not chatter.   Only fix is light and sharp.   Some woods are tear out prone, so the goal is to get the tear out shallow enough that sanding or scraping will take care of it.  Sharp and shallow is your only hope.   

Tearout and you've got a sharp No.4 -- I'll assume std pitch -- and no drum sander... So you need to go from type 1 to type 2 shavings on that stock with the #4...

I'd go for a narrow 25d back bevel on the face side of the #4 iron to bring the effective angle of attack to around 70d... I can't find a good threat here on WTO, so I've found one on SMC: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?18403-Back-Bevel-for-Plane-Irons

Here's an article from LV: http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=57106

These days, folks associate a back-bevel with the ruler trick... That's not what were talking about here... We're talking about imparting a deliberate (and narrow -- say 1/32") bevel to the face side. This is done after final honing of the bevel-side... You've now got a 70d (assuming a 45d bedding angle) effective cutting angle... Take super-fine shavings... It'll take a while... The plane will be hard to push, so either get yourself a second iron, or grind-out the bevel when you're done...

Another trick... Wipe-down the area with naphtha... Keep it wet while you work...

Purchase a BU smoother...

Purchase a drum sander...

Purchase a scraper plane...

That's about all the tricks for now...

BTW: Don't use a scraper -- the dish you'll leave will be more obvious than the tearout.

Good luck...

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I think what I am going to do is tint some epoxy and fill it in. I am not to worried about it really, because it is a desk top and I plan on puting a hutch above it that will mostly cover up that area. But for in the future...is the consensus that a steaper angle plane or card scraper a better way to go when starting to smooth wood like this?

Coop, with a low angle plane you can micro bevel to achieve the high angle without an investment in a whole plane. The key is not that it is low angle in this instance, the key is that the bevel is up.With wood that tears out easily, I have a lot of difficulty with the low angle actually tugging out loose fibers if they are soft at all. I am not the most experienced.  I have done as HHH mentioned with a back bevel on a #4. Maybe it was in my mind but I think the low angle micro was easier to accomplish. 

Edited by C Shaffer
  • Like 1

I thought that's what a low angle plane was for, to tackle difficult wood. Now I'm confussed, but that happens often.

Planes are glorified chisels Ken! When you push your chisels bevel up (as in a low angle plane) you are doing serious damage to the wood, but when you push them  bevel down (as in standard angle planes), you're mostly pairing. Difficult woods are so because the grain changes direction all the time, seems to come from above sometimes, makes you feel like you hit a rock while planing. For those woods, bevel down planes present a lower risk of tear out.

• Like 1