Hello from the Seattle area.

Soul Woods

Hello, 

I've been a lurker for a while, have enjoyed reading posts, and checking out pics the last few months while I've been getting my new shop off the ground!

I've been woodworking since I was a kid (family of engineers / woodworkers / machinists), dreamt of becoming an architect, and eventually went to school for design/engineering and found myself working in software industry for the last couple of decades. Semi-recently through a series of home projects over the last few years (time flies), I started getting really back into woodworking - pretty heavily by need at the time, but I always made it a point to make things "better" - usually both in design (functional & aesthetic) and quality (craftsmanship & materials)...of course that was always a balancing act with the needs of my wife and family. It was these "around the house", projects, finish carpentry turned furniture making, and a certain level of pride that got the old wheels turning in the head...and honestly, I just like building my ideas, and seeing people smile when they see completed work.

Now, more recently in the last few months, as my creative / business outlet, I opened up shop as a small custom furniture builder with tendencies leaning to mid-century to contemporary modern as a designer/builder. I love working with people and have found myself to have a pretty full plate for the time being. Hopefully, it keeps up and I can keep doing more of something that makes me happy, and in turn, I can keep getting opportunities to make others happy. 

As you can imagine being from an engineering / design background, I love woodworking on a lot of levels - tools (I'm a junky), wood (I'm a hoarder and a sucker for Walnut, amongst others), and the finishing side, and overall - design - both aesthetic and functional, etc...Being a lifelong learner, there really isn't a topic that I don't find interesting. 

I look forward to pulling up a chair and chatting now that I have a little bit more time, since I can actually see the shop floor now and hopefully I can provide some value here too! You can check out my website at http://www.soulwoods.com to see a little bit more about me, etc..

Cheers!

SW

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

Sincere thanks for the warm welcome, and my apologies for going dark. Shortly after I posted I got ridiculously busy and have been heads down - and just getting back to a place where I can take a breather.  It's not my style to start up a conversation, then disappear. 

On February 29, 2016 at 1:44 AM, sjk said:

Welcome to the forum!

Do you get your wood from Crosscut, Compton or somewhere else? 

Hi sjk, I get it from all over honestly, X-Cut, Issaquah Cedar, Hardwood Industries, private mills, and also reclamation. 

On February 29, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Chet K. said:

Welcome to the forums SW.  Thats a nice website you have.  Post some photos of your shop when you have a chance, we like rolling over other people stuff.

Hi Chet, will do. It's a lot of the normal stuff...Powermatic (just added a new jointer with a Byrd Shelix head - really liking that), Sawstop, Festool, Jet, Laguna for the power side, and a wide variety of hand tools - Sorby, Vertias, Stanley, Larson/Two Cherries, bunch of various Japanese saws, etc.. I think the thing that is kind of unique about the shop is that it has it's own photo bay as well (Kind of do it all!), for a lot of the stock - I've also moved it offsite to a climate / humidity controlled facility. 

Here are some images of recent projects, and I have about five in progress right now, including multiple tables. I'm rushing right now, because in addition, to these projects, I've been invited to do some of the local summer markets, and am trying to crank out a bunch of inventory to stock. 

end_table_01.jpg

end_table_02.jpgDSC_0920-Edit.jpgmudroom.pngDSC_0936-Edit.jpgDSC_0932.jpgdesk_web.jpgDSC_0756.jpg

I should also mention, that if you like the pics, I do post to Instagram quite a bit - if you do it. You can find me there at:

https://www.instagram.com/soulwoodsdesign/

• Like 1