Tornado v Earthquake

trialbyfire

I am from Texas and my wife is from California (don't worry I rescued her). If I hear the sirens go off I go outside to see if we need to get in the closet. She thinks I'm nuts, but I think she's nuts for thinking it's OK if the ground shakes.

Trying to figure out if this is just a that's what we grew up with thing or if there anyone out there that he up with one and would rather have the other?

Man, I don't know, they both suck.  But I've lived in Missouri all my life and we've had way more nasty tornadoes than earthquakes.  Although we do live right on the New Madrid fault so that could do us in at any time.  But tornadoes scare me way more for sure.  Probably because I've seen the mayhem first hand.  You can't really get a good feel for the unfathomable destructive power on TV.  Plus I think you're way more likely to get killed in a tornado.  I don't have any stats to back that up but I bet it's true.

I grew up in Tornado Alley and now live on the San Andreas Fault. I will take an earthquake any day of the week over a tornado.

The deciding factor for me is that an earthquake can't pick me up and throw me into Kansas 

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Man, I don't Probably because I've seen the mayhem first hand.  

I went to Joplin about two weeks after the major tornado in 2011 have destroyed the hospital I was born in. The wreckage was something I have only previously seen in war-torn countries

Neither one is good but now they can give you a fair warning on tornado's and be fairly accurate. Now on a earthquake they are still trying to figure out a warning.... Most of the warning on a earthquake say it might happen in your lifetime.............

Small town near me got a good portion wiped off the map around this time last year. Can't even recognize it. We have a tornado season here but the entire city is sorta sunk into a valley, and the tornados tend to go over it a bit instead of touching down. At least that is the most likely reason I've heard. The least likely is a Saint's bones protecting the city.

Anyway in the event of an earthquake, I'd probably lie down and nap. Seems like it would be soothing.

I'm sure there is some degree of being raised around some of Mother Nature's events that jades us to them or creates degrees of concern.  I can always tell when I am in a room full of imported Californians.  You get something in the 4-point range and some of them scream (east coast?), some run for doorways (mid-west?) and some run outside (Texas?).  I don't even notice and just go about my business unless someone bumps into me on their way to the toilet to throw up :D:D:D

P.s. I hope everyone knows I'm just poking fun.  But seriously, after multiple generations of land-surfing unless there's a big enough bang to rattle the windows in their frames or enough roll to knock something over, I don't really pay attention.

20 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I'm sure there is some degree of being raised around some of Mother Nature's events that jades us to them or creates degrees of concern.  I can always tell when I am in a room full of imported Californians.  You get something in the 4-point range and some of them scream (east coast?), some run for doorways (mid-west?) and some run outside (Texas?).  I don't even notice and just go about my business unless someone bumps into me on their way to the toilet to throw up :D:D:D

P.s. I hope everyone knows I'm just poking fun.  But seriously, after multiple generations of land-surfing unless there's a big enough bang to rattle the windows in their frames or enough roll to knock something over, I don't really pay attention.

4 pointer... we use a 4 pointer to shake our mojito's..

• Like 1

I grew up in California and lived through plenty of earthquakes - even big ones like the Loma Prieta.  And since moving to Connecticut we've had two hurricanes.  My thinking was always "at least there's not an earthquake season - with hurricanes/tornados you have to be ready at a certain time every year!"

I think it's pretty much what you're accustomed to...you get used to it and it doesn't seem so threatening.

I grew up on the east coast. We didn't have tornadoes or earth quakes with any regularity and they seemed like the most fearful of things that Mother Nature could throw at ya. But at the same time we would get hit by (or have a near miss) with hurricanes almost every year. We took them in stride. They could be very destructive, or not. They were a wonder to behold and as kids we went out when the eye came upon us and skittered back indoors when the winds kicked up again. That seems foolish now.

For  a while now I've lived in a seismically active area and we get some kind of tremors all the time and an actual quake that you can feel(or which wakes you up) a few times a year or more.  Even though the big one would be very bad, with the dam twenty miles up-stream, we don't think about it much.

So...since I have little experience with tornadoes those seem the most heinous of natural disaster threats.

In the end, all of these events just seem so arbitrary. That's what bugs ya.

• Like 1

I think, the fact that you do live in Texas and not Cal and that we have Whataburgers, nothing else matters.

My in-laws followed us back to Texas (it's cool they were just born in the wrong state) and the first place I took then was Whataburger. After 1 burger they had already said Whataburger was head and shoulders above In-and-out

I have lived in No.Cal for 40+ years and been in the shakes of a number of earthquakes including the afore mentioned Loma Prieta which was 8.9 and where as we didn't suffer any damage other then lose of power for a day or two, to see the damage in hard hit areas gets your attention, a completely pancaked section of double deck freeway that trapped a killed people and a portion of the Bay Bridge collapsing.  But normally we don't even feel anything until its well into the 5's.  If either earthquakes or tornados are strong enough its a bad day for the neighborhood.  The one upside to tornados and hurricanes is you usually get a warning,  Earthquakes on the other hand can hit while you are buck naked and sitting on the john.

Yeah you get a warning but there's still nothing you can do.  Go outside?  Downstairs?  If it's an F5, you're screwed either way, basement or not.  I used to love watching storms and would always hope to see big ones...until I saw what a tornado actually does.  Now that I have two little kids, they freak me out.  They're up there on my list of irrational fears right above sharks.

Is the Loma Prieta earthquake the one that hit during the World Series like 25 years ago or so?  I remember that...screwed up my baseball game.  Jerks.

28 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Is the Loma Prieta earthquake the one that hit during the World Series like 25 years ago or so?  I remember that...screwed up my baseball game.  Jerks.

Yep, but when it resumed we still, I mean the A's still won.:P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trialbyfire said:

My in-laws followed us back to Texas (it's cool they were just born in the wrong state) and the first place I took then was Whataburger. After 1 burger they had already said Whataburger was head and shoulders above In-and-out

Sorry to hear about the bad family genes.

9 hours ago, trialbyfire said:

I agree with their statement haha, had in and out burger one time but didn't think it was anything special but I love whataburger, of course neither are anywhere around me which sucks.

I live in Kansas and we have had tornados forever and I'm very used to them. But now, due to oil companies "fracking" in Oklahoma we are getting quite a few earthquakes and it is a whole new experience for me.

I'm used to "shaking a leg" when the clouds show up but, I'm not used to my "butt shaking" without any warning at all!