Music Cabinet

Isaac

Welcome to the forums Isaac..Thats a great looking cabinet..It doesnt look like your first one eather..Nice..Like the bug cage also.

7 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Welcome to the forum. That is a very nice cabinet. Any reason you didn't use the rift sawn walnut throughout,

A few thoughts on the design, the maple in the doors looks a bit heavy. Thinner white frame would give a bit better balance.

I Havent used much walnut..Is the rift sawn used on the draws and draw frunts ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Welcome to the forum. That is a very nice cabinet. Any reason you didn't use the rift sawn walnut throughout,

A few thoughts on the design, the maple in the doors looks a bit heavy. Thinner white frame would give a bit better balance. 

Thanks Brendon,

Its funny, even though I specifically fell for that rife sawn piece I used on the drawers when I saw it at the lumber yard, it never really occurred to me to use one for the drawers.. I'm wondering, would it look weird with the strong lines competing with each other at 90 degrees? I definitely see your point though, why rift sawn in one spot and not in the other.

I think you are right about the maple on the doors, I've never made panel cabinet doors before, so not knowing where else to start, I just matched my kitchen cabinets, I think they are 2.25" wide all around.

7 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Welcome to the forums Isaac..Thats a great looking cabinet..It doesnt look like your first one eather..Nice..Like the bug cage also.

Thanks Mat, I've done most of the skills before, a little routing here, some dowel joints there, etc. but this was the first time I pulled them together on one project. 

15 minutes ago, mat60 said:

I Havent used much walnut..Is the rift sawn used on the draws and draw frunts ?

Yup, rift sawn on the drawer front, but not the cabinet panel. I had selected the rift sawn piece knowing I'd have the two drawers side by side and have the grain continue, but honestly didn't really pay much attention to the grain of the walnut I used on the other parts, definitely something I will pay more attention to in the future.

16 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome to the party, Isaac! That is a great-looking cabinet, and you should be proud of it. I hope you signed and dated it for posterity. (ha! beat Steve to the punch!)

Has anyone mentioned you bear a striking resemblance to Shannon Rogers?

Ha! its never come up. My hair is quite red though and I honestly don't get to spend as much time with people who know who Shannon Rogers is to really say for sure... :)

Haven't signed it, but it is in the house, so I suppose I could do that tomorrow morning. Good idea.

1 minute ago, mat60 said:

The only Shannon Rogers I can find on google is on the walking dead..Im thinking thats not the one.

Ha yeah, i had to google him as well. Try "Shannon Rogers Woodworker". Once I saw him I recognized him, I've seen his videos before. I believe I watched an extensive one of him hand planing a massive board awhile back. That is not only a good woodworking challenge but a good physical challenge!

Welcome to the forum Isaac. I really really enjoy the look of that rift swan piece of walnut. It almost mimics the look of zebrawood. I think the piece looks great. Is there stuff that could be done differently yes but that's what building and learning is all about. I hope to see more from you in the future, keep up the good work.

• Like 1