Finishing cherry

a1606myrsclm

I'm making a tambour clock as a Christmas present and was just going to shellac it. I put some mineral spirits on a piece, I think this is a good representation of what the shellac would look like and my wife doesn't think it is dark enough. I understand it will darken with age, but what are some other options I could use, should I stain it a little darker? I'm laminating 4 piece together, I also am hoping the lines will not be so noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct sir. It will definately darken with age. Just take a scrap piece and put it in the sun (if you are fortunate enough to have some this time of year)  for a couple of weeks or so and compare it to the underside. Staining cherry could very well get you banned from here;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, a1606myrsclm said:

I'm making a tambour clock as a Christmas present and was just going to shellac it. I put some mineral spirits on a piece, I think this is a good representation of what the shellac would look like and my wife doesn't think it is dark enough. I understand it will darken with age, but what are some other options I could use, should I stain it a little darker? I'm laminating 4 piece together, I also am hoping the lines will not be so noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the aging will affect how visible the lines are...I'm assuming you're using PVA glue (the normal, light colored kind)...the lines will be more/less visible based on how well you can line up straight grain that hides the joints, shouldn't change much with age,

Garnet shellac will give cherry a head start toward the dark look.

A few hours sitting in the sunlight will help even more, assuming you can find the sun this time of year. You could also take it to a tanning bed for some UV rays.

If you have some scrap to experiment with, I know a lye paste is used to darken the mulberry wood used in a lot of Japanese furniture. Might do the same for cherry.

• Like 1

Noticeable darkening happens pretty fast if it gets a little sun.

How much darker do you want it to be?  I have had cherry that had very definite light areas where something was laid on top of it and it was exposed to relatively short duration of sun.  It was unfinished at the time and I suspect that allows for quicker darkening.  That was exposure of an hour here and there at times when the roll up door was open over a week or so.  That was intense Florida sun though.

If you do go the stain route it can and in my opinion should be pretty subtle.  I think that if stain is used on woods like cherry or walnut it should be done in a way that it isn't obvious that it was stained at all.  It should just look like it was a darker piece than it actually was.  People can look down their nose at staining such woods, but if they can't tell it was stained there is no need to tell them :)

On the other hand a little patience in waiting for it to darken is a virtue.

flakes work well, they have instructions on the bag,, a common way is to take a jelly jar fill with flakes then fill with solvent which makes a approximate 2 lb cut. i have brushed it and wiped with rag but spraying is much better in my idea. it sands easily and will seal and smooth out the surface for the top coat..

the attached pic is cherry with 2 coats garnet shellac from flakes then lacquer top coat. it has gotten a more richer brown since it was delivered.

hutch beading detail.jpg

• Like 1