Plunge router recommendations

Andy Wright

I have the Bosch 1617 and I am pretty happy with it.  Everything on it seems to be user friendly.  I am still somewhat new to it and it is the only plunge router I have owned.  I didn't pay for it, it was a gift but because of the price and HP it was the one I was looking at to purchase.

I also have the Bosch 1617 and can vouch for it. I went ahead and bought the edge guide too. DC is not great but honestly, DC is not great on any router, including the Festool OF1400. I recently used the router and edge guide to make a bunch of mortises for a workbench. The Bosch 1617 had plenty of power and made nice clean cuts. I would rather spend the money on higher quality bits. 

Link to the edge guide

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1054-Deluxe-Extraction-Adapter/dp/B00005RHPP/ref=pd_sim_469_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PWFW4C3VE88YV9EKMT11

• Like 1

I stumbled onto Milwaukee's routers several years ago due to Lowe's blowing them out.  The quality difference between them and my other routers was pretty humbling.  My other routers with the exception of my Bosch Colt have all gone down the road but, more Mil's followed me home.  I love that you can swap the motors and bases with different motors.  If I need a lighter motor in a plunge base for an awkward cut I drop in a 5615.  If I need more oomph or variable speed, I drop in a 5616.

I cannot speak for the quality at this time (so sad the era we are in right now) but, the ones I bought years ago are used weekly and have done nothing but run.

routers.jpg

I've also run 5625's in the router table for the last 8 years without a hiccup.  Bearings are as tight and quiet as the day it went in.  I credit good dust collection with the long life because it sure isn't from me babying it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I've got a Bosch and a much older Makita. Both are huge heavy powerful machines. I am looking to get the small 1.25 hp Dewalt trim router with the plunge base soon. Other than the PC 7518 motor I'm not so happy with the current quality of Porter Cables machines.

All of my routers are 8+ years old. I haven't bought a Porter Cable tool in years which is sad. I have several handheld PC tools from the "Norm era", AKA the 90s and early 2000s - that still work great.

Unfortunately Delta and Porter Cable are no longer what they used to be

I also have the Dewalt combo router and love it. I havent used it as much since i got an OF1010 but its a great router no less, and my go-to for handheld 1/2" work. Imho the Bosch 1617 and family fall short of the Dewalt in multiple areas. Ive used them side by side and the Boschs owner and i agreed the Dewalt is better overall and comes with alot more stuff.

My only complaint is that the plunge base operates on just one spring loaded rod so you have to be sure that rod is over the workpiece or the plunge is less smooth. Easily avoided once you figure it out though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The responses are probably a good indicator of how personal a hand held router is.  Just because it is a tailed-tool doesn't mean there aren't some serious ergonomics involved.  My handheld routers are as much an extension of my arm as my hand planes.

Another Milwaukee fan here.  Most of mine are older but, the body-grip feature with the strap is great for free hand work.  I've actually come to prefer it to the d-handle style.  The plunge mechanisms work smoothly and predictably. 

The fact that the 5615 and 5616 motors can be swapped between bases is a big plus for me.  I have "dedicated" bases as opposed to dedicated routers; I just drop in the motor that I want.

I've got a bunch of routers. PC 690 in a fixed base, PC 450 PK that I use for inlay work with the whiteside inlay kit which doesn't get much use anymore. PC 7518 in my router table, the big swinging d*$% of the router table world, a Dewalt 611 in my CNC, Bosch 1617 in a fixed base that gets very little use, Festool OF 1400, which is my go to router for most small to medium plunging operations, and Festool OF 2200, which can't be compared to any other router out there. There are a bunch of people that truly fear using a plunge router, I used to be one because when you get a catch, you better be holding on. The OF 2200 is ergonomic, heavy duty, solid, comfortable and truly the most impressive portable tool I've ever held in my hands. 

Yes I'd say the OF 2200 is choice if you're doing big operations. Comes with a hefty price tag however.