Ya know what grinds my gears?!?!?

Llama

Everyone's 'resolutions' they're posting on social media that every one knows is complete bull! Haha oh and people wanting something built and expect it to be cheaper than the made in China crap they can buy in the stores =) happy new year everyone! Be safe and always remember a cab ride home is a lot cheaper than a DUI or the cost of yours or some one else's life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Woodworking related only since this isn't the off topic forum?

The slide up and down caps on glue bottles these days that get stuck closed and then you go to pick the glue off and you get that glue sliver under your fingernail.  And then eventually if you reuse the bottle enough the tip breaks right off the cap from fighting with it constantly because the plastic is too thin.

I'm going with all the garbage that's sold in specialty furniture stores today. You can find quality, but man is there a lot of crap out there hiding behind a premium price tag and the hope that you grow bored of the style before the darn thing falls apart.

Case in point, my wife and I moved into our current home about 3-1/2 years ago. I was switching jobs, we were building a home and having our first kid all within about a month of each other. So, I had no time to build a dining room set. We dropped way too much on what at first glance looked like and was described as a "premium" dining room set. The POS is falling apart as I type this. What a load of crud.

THAT REALY GRINDS MY GEARS!!!

If I want crappy furniture that won't last 5 years, I'll go to wal-mart and pay 200 bucks for a set and throw it out in 3 years. But when your dropping large coin on something that is supposed to be high quality from a specialty furniture store...........AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  NOW I'm just getting irritated! 

Woodworking related only since this isn't the off topic forum?

The slide up and down caps on glue bottles these days that get stuck closed and then you go to pick the glue off and you get that glue sliver under your fingernail. And then eventually if you reuse the bottle enough the tip breaks right off the cap from fighting with it constantly because the plastic is too thin.

Preach it brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Freddie, the dining room set has been a bit of a sore spot for me. We got up-sold and were supposed to be getting high quality stuff and as you've probably realized I'm not impressed.

Needless to mention, a dining room set is on my list of projects for our house. If only me and my bride could settle on what style to build.

Posted Image

I hear ya Chet!

When my wife and I lived in Washington we bought a very nice dining table and chair set. Very expensive set. We figured it would be worth it because we'd have it for a long time. Well, about a month later the top developed a crack in the veneer. Called the store, and they sent a guy out with one of those wax crayon things. I called the store and demanded our money back. He said they would send out a new set. I agreed. Same problem! I called and got out money back. After being disappointed and giving up on buying nice things we bought a crappy set that looks like maple, although I have no idea what it is, for a few hundred bucks. And it has survived through two moves and we still have it. I'll build a set for the next house, which is thankfully coming up soon. It's still holding on strong.

I have been designing a curio cabinet for my wife in my head for a few days now, and she just brought it to my attention that she would rather buy one "that matches" the living room furniture I am currently making. She is fine with the TV stand. The end tables, and coffee table. But because the curio cabinet has glass, its a no go. 

You know what grinds my gears? My wife! lol

"You know what grinds my gears? My wife! lol"

Funny, you look so happy in your avatar?

Oh wait, I assume that's you and your wife in the avatar, not you and your mistress or something.

She is actually pretty great with most things. Sometimes she gets these ideas of how things will happen in her head and can't be persuaded otherwise…WOMEN! lol

In those instances, I have learned that it is easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission  :D

Painters pyramids: So overrated. Allows you to finish both sides of a piece at once they say...but the pyramids tips are still large enough to mar a finish if the piece moves even slightly (and it will). Could wait for one side to dry a bit before doing the other, but then there's little point in the pyramids.

Lacking enough surface areas in the shop. Basically you have stuff accumulating on the surface of one tool. But you need to use that tool, and then you move everything onto another tool surface. Repeat as you keep moving things around. I'm still trying to figure out how to best add a real assembly table to my limited space, that would help things out.

Finishes that look so wonderful while wet, but just looks "okay" once dried. (Building coats gets it there, but still...)

Posted Image

When a woodworking magazine says that a certain product/tool/technique is the best. I mean, they act like this new thing will cure cancer! So, we run out and buy it. Then next month they have a better thing. Never fails!

Posted Image

And how many articles can these guys write about dovetails?!?

• Like 1

What really chaps my backside is the fact that our society has no value for the skilled trades anymore. Due to past corruption we have regulated ourselves into a bidding war. Wether you realize it or not our government(people we have elected) have put into place a system that forces almost every purchase to go out for bid. Sounds good right? But when your final determination of which firm or individual gets the work is the price and not the quality, you leave yourself open for a lot of headaches. A lot of communities base the entire decision totally on low bid due to regulations. Then some bean counter turns in a computer generated report that shows how much money he has saved the taxpayers, even though the work will have to be redone in a couple of years. Unfortunately a lot of our companies are following suit. 

I guess what it comes down to it is what really grinds my gears is the fact that COMMON SENSE is being replaced by computers.

Sorry for my ranting, but you asked for it.   Happy New Year !!!!!

What really chaps my backside is the fact that our society has no value for the skilled trades anymore. Due to past corruption we have regulated ourselves into a bidding war. Wether you realize it or not our government(people we have elected) have put into place a system that forces almost every purchase to go out for bid. Sounds good right? But when your final determination of which firm or individual gets the work is the price and not the quality, you leave yourself open for a lot of headaches. A lot of communities base the entire decision totally on low bid due to regulations. Then some bean counter turns in a computer generated report that shows how much money he has saved the taxpayers, even though the work will have to be redone in a couple of years. Unfortunately a lot of our companies are following suit. 

I guess what it comes down to it is what really grinds my gears is the fact that COMMON SENSE is being replaced by computers.

Sorry for my ranting, but you asked for it.   Happy New Year !!!!!

Absolutely!  I think Mike Rowe's TED Talk hit that one well. (  http://www.ted.com/talks/mike_rowe_celebrates_dirty_jobs.html ) His points are valid for not only "Dirty Jobs" but all also trades.