Chest of drawers

shaneymack

Shane the drawer fronts look awesome.  Can't wait to see this thing fully assembled!

Can I make a small suggestion?  With the top two bookmatched drawers, try reversing one of them so that the grain from each drawer flows toward the middle (or away from the middle if you prefer that).  I think it would look sweet.

Shane the drawer fronts look awesome.  Can't wait to see this thing fully assembled!

Can I make a small suggestion?  With the top two bookmatched drawers, try reversing one of them so that the grain from each drawer flows toward the middle (or away from the middle if you prefer that).  I think it would look sweet.

Thanks Brian. That is a good suggestion. I didn't actually choose the way they are oriented, I got the wife to come in the shop and orient them as she wanted. I will try what you are suggesting and see what she thinks. If she is happy then its a go. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.....
  • Like 2

So i got the OF 1010 outfitted with the E7 bushing from Leigh to prepare to do a test box. 

20150909_174603_zpshwbynipc.jpg~original

I had kept some 1/2" poplar to do some tests. After about 30 minutes of reading the manual and doing everything it said i was ready to route. After the first test fit, the only adjustment i had to make was moving the finger assembly away from me by about 1/32" because the fit was a little tight. Here was the result.

20150909_185219_zpspc8grvtc.jpg~original

I can't believe how easy this jig is to use. Very little learning curve. If you can read a manual and follow very easy, step by step instructions, you can get nice fitting joints in no time. 

Here is the same corner after a couple swipes with the block plane.

20150909_201620_zpspnc5moql.jpg~original

20150909_201638_zpskuzqvfbo.jpg~original

Couple things I was a little disappointed with;

1- Dust collection. It was Ok. But just that, ok. Not good, not terrible, just ok. I was surprised, i was expecting it to be better. I guess I am spoiled from using  festools with almost 100% dust collection all the time. Here is a picture after 2 sides were done.

20150909_184915_zpsy4qcfdlc.jpg~original

2- Compatibility with the OF1010 Router. Its pretty bad. Because there is a square side to the base it catches on an indentation in the fingers when routing on the pin side. I had to keep lifting it over the bump. Pretty annoying. I will try to turn the router around so the round side faces back to see if it helps. I will just have to route backwards, but that will be better than having to lift it over the litre bump every time i enter a finger opening. 

So those are the only 2 complaints and one has nothing to do with the jig per se. All in all its a great purchase and I am very happy with it. I will do a test run of some half blinds tomorrow and if it goes as well as this did its onto the chest drawers!

• Like 1

That dovetail joint looks great.  I am waiting to hear your report on half blind dovetails with Leigh jig.

Thanks. I will report back in the next few days once i have tried the half blinds. Stay tuned.

You show off. You must have some kind of savant like skills!

Lol. Not at all Dave, Im nothing special. It is really easy to use. I was quite surprised. The instructions are very well written and if they are followed anyone can get the same result im sure. 

I was similarly disappointed with the dust collection. That whole dust collection assembly feels like it's in the way.

i used mine with a PC router so didn't have to deal with the flat side on the router - good to know, I won't swap to my festool.

results look terrific Shane, nice work. 

• Like 1

Looking great Shane!

About the problem with your router, maybe making your own sub base out of acrylic can solve the issue. I made a round sub base for my Dewalt router, bigger then the factory supplied one, really not a big deal.

Actually i think they sell an extended base for it. I will have to look into it. I should be at the festool dealer next week (uh oh) and i will ask when im there. In the meantime i will try it with the round side towards the jig and see if that helps. I will also try the monster OF 2200 and see how that goes.

Actually i think they sell an extended base for it. I will have to look into it. I should be at the festool dealer next week (uh oh) and i will ask when im there. In the meantime i will try it with the round side towards the jig and see if that helps. I will also try the monster OF 2200 and see how that goes.

Glad it went well Shane.  That test joint looks perfect.  Half blinds are a lot more finicky to set up, so take your time and don't get frustrated.

Also if you turn the router around be careful that you pay attention to the alignment of the bushing (see the manual).  The setting of the bushing can affect the tightness of the joint (because it's eccentric).  

Glad it went well Shane.  That test joint looks perfect.  Half blinds are a lot more finicky to set up, so take your time and don't get frustrated.

Also if you turn the router around be careful that you pay attention to the alignment of the bushing (see the manual).  The setting of the bushing can affect the tightness of the joint (because it's eccentric).  

Ya for sure Brian. I just have to turn the bushing 180 degress. I will give it a go and see if its better. As for half blinds, i actually thought they would be easier to do. Oh well, im ready for the challenge. :D

Ya for sure Brian. I just have to turn the bushing 180 degress. I will give it a go and see if its better. As for half blinds, i actually thought they would be easier to do. Oh well, im ready for the challenge.

:D

Actually with the microadjust mechanism on the festool router it might not be bad at all.  The reason I think it's harder is because the fit is determined by the depth of the bit (as opposed to the position of the finger scale like in TDTs).  My routers all have kind of poopy depth adjustment mechanisms.  With the festool it might be easy though cuz I know it has a great micro depth adjustment that I've seen Marc use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started gluing up some drawers today! Front of the drawers have half blinds; f66a8ddc2fa3fc79dc42cade935d98c1.jpg Rear has through dovetails; 8f0a18676a7b844e5a1725d086e917e0.jpg These pics are right out of the clamps. No clean up has been done at all hence the proud pins and glue squeeze out.... I am doing solid drawer bottoms so the central drawer slide will act as a stile to receive the panels. I dominoed it into the front of the drawer and screwed it in the back with a couple trim head screw. 376b7105469b24db0c29fb1f53d0f014.jpgd3c590cf4a7a1f7393969f06a6305414.jpg I have two drawers glued up and installed. Not final fit yet. b418b1714d1b64c6bb8705d4fb94c31a.jpg924b0fc01a8bab50d45d7482a84a7c31.jpg

Four drawers to go; 6637e455001a8867ecdf4d7960c92f91.jpg

The little time I have over the next few weeks will be finishing the glue ups and starting to work on the panels. I bought 8/4 poplar for the bottom panels to be able to resaw and bookmatch on either side of the central drawer slide/stile. Overkill yes, but so is solid wood drawer bottoms. Its for my little girl for forever so I am putting my heart and soul in this one.

Edited by shaneymack
  • Like 2