Chest of drawers

shaneymack

I have been lurking lately and have been following this thread as I am also building a chest of drawers.  I am making it all out of mahogany and I am almost finished.  One more hand cut dovetail drawers and I will have all the drawers done.

Just curious, why no journal?  Gang here would love to see your work.

Edited by TIODS

Just curious, why no journal?  Gang here would love to see your work.

Well, that is a good question.  

I stay busy with my day job and when I have a free moment, I end up woking on my projects.  I am in the planning phase of a dedicated workshop (24 X 36); I am building the chest of drawers; doing a end-grain cutting board for my wife; building 3 (THREE, sheesh) Rogowski boxes for my daughters and wife; aaaand, I am also working on a sculpted chair on the side.  Having two daughters means you can't built just one of anything.  My day job is surgery.  Leaves me little time for posting journals and pics but I promise, I will do some journals and pics.  I am good at documenting my builds.  

I stay busy with my day job and when I have a free moment, I end up woking on my projects.  I am in the planning phase of a dedicated workshop (24 X 36); I am building the chest of drawers; doing a end-grain cutting board for my wife; building 3 (THREE, sheesh) Rogowski boxes for my daughters and wife; aaaand, I am also working on a sculpted chair on the side.  Having two daughters means you can't built just one of anything.  My day job is surgery.  Leaves me little time for posting journals and pics but I promise, I will do some journals and pics.  I am good at documenting my builds.  

Look forward to seeing them!  Sounds like you got a lot going on!

I look forward to seeing some of your stuff. Sounds awesome! I love seeing other woodworkers work and process and shop and tools etc. Always something to learn by seeing how someone else does things.

I'm thinking of some sort of joke about whether or not you cut to the line or take it in surgery. It's not there yet. Will report back when funny.

Next step was sanding the legs. Rotex 90 made quick work of it. 78c507648f8660b7ae8706848f694076.jpg Once i had them sanded to 120 I brought them over to the router table to add a profile. 9b9e2bb4006e6a7f0cf848d9842e15e7.jpg Here are the legs rounded over. bb894abd4732b75f39af4eb28372c720.jpge68cad5205a46c5352753ced274ae0c1.jpg Back to the rotex to sand up to 180 grit and blend the round overs. ( Sorry for the crap photo)d370ddb4fcea1461054b70e4cdcaaf8f.jpg

Sanded the cherry side panels to 180 and put a coat of natural danish oil before glue up. ea7784eb9d32026dd6e733f278dfaa54.jpg First side glued up. 98f0267779e915c8411031acab03070d.jpg Done 3bfec2a5f76562bac1df092fb05968d4.jpg Next I milled the walnut for the web frames. I also resawed the poplar and re milled it to 3/4". Stickered and ready to make some frames. b9b4c91f446287f056c08394d24e41e3.jpg Done for today.

Edited by shaneymack
  • Like 1

it is looking great.  I keep going back and looking at the single piece cherry side panels.  Those are really impressive.  

Out of curiosity, how much room did you allow for movement for those two side panels?  I am curious because I just milled two pieces of mahogany, 9 inches each for the top and I am worried about movement.  We live in the south and at times. we need gills to get enough oxygen.

it is looking great.  I keep going back and looking at the single piece cherry side panels.  Those are really impressive.  

Out of curiosity, how much room did you allow for movement for those two side panels?  I am curious because I just milled two pieces of mahogany, 9 inches each for the top and I am worried about movement.  We live in the south and at times. we need gills to get enough oxygen.

Thanks!

Right now the panels are fairly snug because we are at the most humid time of the year. When we start heating, the house will be at around 15-25% himidity all winter so the panels will contract significantly. The panels are sitting in 1/4" grooves on either side so i should be ok. I normally prepare for 1/4" per foot seasonal movement due to the crazy humidity difference from summer to winter.

You are worried about movement? How so? How are you attaching your top?

Edited by shaneymack

Thanks! Right now the panels are fairly snug because we are at the most humid time of the year. When we start heating, the house will be at around 15-25% himidity all winter so the panels will contract significantly. The panels are sitting in 1/4" grooves on either side so i should be ok. I normally prepare for 1/4" per foot seasonal movement due to the crazy humidity difference from summer to winter. You are worried about movement? How so? How are you attaching your top?

I have actually added dados to the side rails at the top and will use tongue and groove type attachment at the sides, with screws going into the top.  From what I understand, the movement should be front to back.

I got all the parts cut to final dimensions for the dust frames. After that it was all dado blade. 704c45521453b64d51c59e76f2675086.jpg I had to notch out the front and back pieces of the frames to wrap around the legs. Like so; 01fa64c287a71712ce357b7c4dbf333e.jpg Back pieces fit perfectly in the side dados and rear dados d63db56a7c96e0a8426c7b8f0e837819.jpg15d2ade831d239be494aa6f7418fc1f8.jpg Got most of the pieces cut for the frames. They are just friction fit in the pics. c6cc530927f01863c8f8b3e8b337e887.jpg7c8d54d6b7556c52a1ef90ffe5c80701.jpg Everything so far is really square. Dead on at every critical area. 22ce60c231691bd40c8dd35ec879448c.jpg Put a straight edge across all the front frame pieces and they are all perfectly in line with each other. That will certainly facilitate flushing out all the drawers fronts! Next I will be adding the vertical divider between the two top drawers. It will be installed with a sliding dovetail. All frames will be dominoed together with domzilla.