Chest of drawers

shaneymack

This is such a cool journal. I'm learning a lot of little tricks that you have used. Some very smart moves you're making in this process, and it's looking terrific!

Thanks alot! Much appreciated!! 

Haven't had any time in the shop in a while. Hopefully the slow progress continues soon! 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow two long weeks since i got any shop time. Well im back baby!! The wife was gone with all the kids to her moms for the night so i got a long stretch of uninterrupted shop time. 

I used the domino to assemble the dust frames;

20150827_174812_zpsexwfru64.jpg~original

20150827_175313_zpshrh1v09h.jpg~original

I had to domino through the back of the sliding dovetail to accept the middle rail for the side by side upper drawers;

20150827_182539_zpsxnncbt8l.jpg~original

As i was gluing up the frames the lid fell of the glue bottle....

20150827_184412_zpsdglctiao.jpg~original

Once all the frames were dry, i sanded them with the Rotex in insano mode. Takes seconds to remove glue and flush up parts with this sander, its awesome

20150828_154115_zpsbvn9bg9p.jpg~original

I cleaned up all the edges with a pass with the block plane;

20150828_160303_zpsjwnw7ukm.jpg~original

Ones the frames were cleaned up, I prepped the stock for the drawer runners;

20150828_164402_zpsjwvgu8f7.jpg~original

Back to the dado blade to rabbet them to fit in frames;

20150828_170247_zpsswpbxufs.jpg~original

Perfect fit;

20150828_170259_zpsmm9sfg84.jpg~original

Installed all the runners square to the front of case;

20150828_171215_zpslwzgsrm4.jpg~original

Now the pivotal moment.....ready for glue up!

20150828_203747_zpspzsr81mh.jpg~original

Some would say im insane for attempting to glue the entire case in one shot but i felt comfortable with the 60 minute working time of the epoxy. Before I glued anything I dry fit and checked everything meticulously. As I disassembled, i stacked the parts in the exact order I would have to glue them in, this way there was no panic during glue up. 

So i mixed up the epoxy, set the timer to 60 mins and went to town. Here is the result;

20150828_211746_zpscwtwe5au.jpg~original

20150828_211716_zps51gfqwpa.jpg~originalThe back;

20150828_211812_zpsnbwolxgs.jpg~original

The glue up took me 28 minutes. Only 2 little places where some epoxy squeezed out but i had the Acetone ready. I am really happy i had the cut offs from the curved legs to facilitate the glue up. 

After clamping everything, i checked everywhere with multiple squares like an OCD crazy person and it is spot on. Very, very happy with how it turned out! Now onto the drawers.

The wife should be arriving shortly with some goodies she picked up at Lee Valley for me which should help with fitting the drawers. Pics to come......

• Like 1

Project is looking great Shane.  Good thinking saving the off cuts for the clamping process.

I had an almost empty bottle of glue up side down emptying in to a new bottle, not paying attention I hit the whole thing with a piece of lumber.   It ended up rolling under the out feed table and table saw leaving a glue track every where it rolled. :huh:

Project is looking great Shane.  Good thinking saving the off cuts for the clamping process.

I had an almost empty bottle of glue up side down emptying in to a new bottle, not paying attention I hit the whole thing with a piece of lumber.   It ended up rolling under the out feed table and table saw leaving a glue track every where it rolled. :huh:

Thanks Chet! 

Well i guess my glue disaster wasn't as bad as yours!