Shop Shoe/Boots

ChrisG-Canada

My shop floor is concrete and I have anti fatigue mats at the bench. I wear steel toe cap boots as when I was an apprentice years ago I had a giant socket roll off a bench at work and fracture a toe. I wasn't wearing steel cap boots at the time - lesson for a 17 year old learnt.

The boots are resilient enough to stop feet from becoming tired but the mats really help.

What is your preferred shoe/boot option for wearing in your shop (and what kind of shop floor do you have)?

My shop used to be a garage so I have a concrete floor.  I also have a few anti-fatigue mats I got from Grizzly (which I like and definitely notice the difference).

I've been wearing a pair of older running shoes (good quality New Balance shoes) but at the end of the day my feet are hurting quite a bit so I'm hoping to learn from your experiences before I go buy new footwear.  I know I could buy 'work boot/shoes' but I don't find most of them very comfortable and I don't like the extra weight.

i should mention that I'm not the slimmest guy you'll ever meet so that may be a bit of an issue as well.

Here's what I wear (Model is JD 3604) and what others have said from a past topic.  My shop floor is concrete.

post-95-0-22804200-1320595798.jpg

Edited by PeteJr

Well..For myself as I'm not young anymore I cant wear my boots till they wear out because the heel of the boot gets worn at a angle and when that happens it puts everything off and doesn't feel too great....Also maybe you need inserts for your boots or shoes..

I'm surprised how many wear flip flops and go barefoot. I can't say I never wear flip flops but I try to only do than when gluing up. If I go out there to construct something I wear hiking shoes normally. The thought of dropping a chisel on my foot usually leads to me putting shoes on.

Edited by Janello

My shoes that live there all the time are steel toe work shoes with nice thick soles. I do often wander in wearing running shoes or sandals, but I change if I'm doing something messy or with sharp objects. One of the down sides of working in a garage that is shared is I can't put down mats unless I want to pick them up every time I leave. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The only time I've ever hurt my feet in my shop is from sunburn... I leave the overhead door open most of the time, and my bench is right by that door, with the sun shining downing on my feet.

I actually hate wearing shoes... I'd like to never wear shoes ever again... really 

• Like 1

I wear a pair of Bearclaw Moccasins, my floor is concrete. They're very comfortable and have a rubber bottom. I do have some antifatigue mats that I haven't put down yet. That's gonna be done eventually. 

Winner winner chicken dinner. I like this idea. If you do happen to drop the chisel it will at least get stroped before it goes into your foot.

Edited by Janello

Concrete floor with mats, I wear Birkenstock Bostons, they have a leather front and an open back so they slip on and off easily.  Good arch support and they can be rebuilt when worn out. Not cheap, but they last a long time.  A step up from Crocs.

I'm going to check into those. For the important, non work places I go to that require some sort of foot ware, I would like to find a good pair of flip flops. Anyone have a suggestion?

It is more than a theory. Weight should be carried on the ball of a healthy foot with no weight on the heel most of the time. Shoes teach a heel strike. 

Any idea which footwear option (I am not planning to go barefoot in my shop) is best for foot (and hip/back, etc.) comfort?

My running shoes are worn out anyway so I have to replace them with something...

Not really. Trusting your pain is a good start. Those guys^^ are promoting footwear because it minimizes discomfort for them. I doubt average hobby shop time is going to gain the life change that a lot of people might benefit from. I prefer cross trainers and hikers when I have to wear and will certainly wear shoes around spinning blades. Stubbing a toe is a distraction that is not desired feeding stock through a table saw. Active wear shoes tend to help weight stay forward. Most correction is helpful when moving a lot. Some shop time can be fairly still. Standing without moving sucks. Sorry to not be more helpful. Certainly don't go bare overnight or around broken glass. Isolate the risks and don't let them compound. 

At the end of a day in the shop, my feet hurt me, so I've tried all kinds of shoes and boots.  My last choices have been the best.  One is a Fin 'n Feather boot I got through Mason Shoes and the other is New Balance MW928 (the cheaper ones never did the trick).

I second the voting for Thorlo socks and NB 928s – I’m wearing both at the moment... The socks are great and the shoes are about the most comfortable general-purpose walking shoes around... I also recommend the following:

Outdoor:  Redwing 4425

Shop: Ecco Track II Low or Track II Mid

Misc: New Balance 928

Outdoor walking: New Balance 1069

All of the above offer very good ankle support, which is what I’m after. They are not exactly cheap—but I’ve found my back feels better at the end of the day with proper posture support... I've also found well made shoes last a lot longer than cheaply made ones...

NB’s are a particularly good brand because you can pick the last the shoe is formed from... And yes, it makes a big difference... Once you determine the general shape of your foot and what last supports the best, you can select which shoes from that category...

I’ve also found NB’s motion control insoles add greatly to the performance of the shoes... I use them in all but office and dress shoes...