Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

Yeah I read that about keeping the router in the same orientation and not rotating it at all since the bushing is elliptical.  I guess I'm still not fully grasping the benefit of the special bushing because it just seems like an unnecessary complication that can introduce error.  But I assume there's a reason they made it that way.

We won't be doing asymmetric dovetails...we're doing symmetrical then trimming off the bottom of the case panels so the molding lands at the correct place in order for it to appear as a half pin.

Am I misremembering our conversation or are you?

You don't need to use the elliptical bushing for through DTs. You can use a standard 7/16th(1/4' barrel length) guide bushing. You only need to use the elliptical for single pass half blind DTs, finger joint adjustment and sliding DTs..

At least that's how it is with my Leigh SuperJig. I would wager it is the same with the D4. Check the manual(1st pg. of Chap. 3 in mine).

15 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Nah I misspoke.  You left the panels wide on both ends right?  Like you're gonna do trimming from both ends?

The ultimate width of the panels is totally arbitrary.  Right now they're at about 18.5" but whatever we end up with, we end up with...I just pulled dimensions out of my wazoo.  So no, technically I didn't leave extra material on both sides...we'll have a half pin at the top and a half pin at the bottom after we cut the dovetails, then we'll trim off the bottoms of the panels to whatever width dictates that the molding land at the correct height to create the appearance of a half pin at the bottom.

If that makes any sense.  It probably doesn't.

8 minutes ago, davewyo said:

You don't need to use the elliptical bushing for through DTs. You can use a standard 7/16th(1/4' barrel length) guide bushing. You only need to use the elliptical for single pass half blind DTs, finger joint adjustment and sliding DTs..

At least that's how it is with my Leigh SuperJig. I would wager it is the same with the D4. Check the manual(1st pg. of Chap. 3 in mine).

Good tip, Dave.  I may consider that...although I don't believe I have two 7/16" bushings.  It might be worth buying an extra.  I really don't wanna deal with the eccentric bushings if I don't have to.

Ok, our conversation just returned to my memory.  Yes, that makes sense.  And the ultimate takeaway was that you need to make sure that you make the fingers dead on symmetrical (or as close as you can get it).  Use setup blocks or shims or something.  Normally it doesn't matter and you can just eyeball it.  But in this case if you're not dead nuts (or close) symmetrical it's gonna be really noticeable.  If you want I can explain why, but not tonight.  Too many beers to do it any coherent justice.

Just use the elliptical bushing.  It's not a big deal.  Dave is correct that it only matters for other features, not through dovetails, but why mess with another bushing.  Just keep the router steady.

1 minute ago, bgreenb said:

Ok, our conversation just returned to my memory.  Yes, that makes sense.  And the ultimate takeaway was that you need to make sure that you make the fingers dead on symmetrical (or as close as you can get it).  Use setup blocks or shims or something.  Normally it doesn't matter and you can just eyeball it.  But in this case if you're not dead nuts (or close) symmetrical it's gonna be really noticeable.

Yep, I get it.  I plan to use some kind of block to set the spacing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

This thingamajig is supposed to make dovetails EASY, right? I'm pretty sure I hand cut my first set into hardwood in less time than it took to read this conversation, much less the manual! I hope the results are good for both of you!

I wouldn't say easier. Just faster. And of course that depends on how many you have to cut. Of course there's a learning curve but once you know how to use the thing it's easy. Especially plain TDTs. I could do both of E's blanket chests in 30 minutes including setup. I'm sure there are people who can hand cut them in that little time, but I'm not one of them. And neither is Eric, if I may speak for him. 

No way.  If I cut all the dovetails in just my chest it would take me at least two days.  And that doesn't even take into account Joe's chest...the bigger problem.  I mean I could pound out joints that fit together in a couple hours I'm sure, but I'm too anal for that sloppy crap so it would be agonizingly slow.  There are a TON of dovetails on these two chests.

The first time you use a jig like this you have to expect a big learning curve.  The Incra was the same way...the first time took me a whole day to do a single drawer.  But after that I could knock them out way faster than cutting by hand because I understood the process.  I consider the time invested in learning this jig as an investment in future builds as well.  And ultimately, I don't really care how long anything takes...perfect or near perfect joinery is what I'm interested in.  The thing that annoys me is THINKING, not the time it consumes.  I hate THINKING.  The worst part of woodworking.

absolutely eric, the thinking part is the hardest, I've had the leigh jig for about 4 years now and the only issue i have with it is the 8MM adaptor, it keeps slipping, i have to really tighten that thing to get it to stay put. they do make an 8MM collet for my porter cable and thats my next purchase before doing anymore on that machine. i have made asymmetrical dovetails on a hope chest i made, lots of thinking on that one but it came out great. i like that machine so much i pulled the trigger on an F3 finger joint template this morning to add another tool to the pile. a friend has the old F1 template and he found it very easy to use with great results.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Tomorrow we'll dovetail the skirt boards and probably start working on the bottoms.  After that, I get busy with work and a fishing trip so we'll be stalled again for another couple weeks.

Watch the high water! I'll bet the North Fork is flowing strong...

Yeah it's still yet to be seen if we'll be able to fish or not.  Normal flow this time of year is well under 1,000 cfs...a week ago it was 90,000. :unsure:  It dropped to under 10k quickly but it's still roaring right now.  It's one of those rivers though...comes up fast and empties fast.  Unless we get more rain in the next ten days we should be good.  We'll have drift boats but we'll still have to get under 2k for it to be fishable.

If not we'll just play poker in the cabin and eat and drink ourselves to near death.

• Like 1

those are looking great eric, made a couple of huge ones like them last year, 48" X 17" piece in that jig is a handful for sure, i guess i got lucky with mine and was making dovetails in under an hour after i got it put together but to this day i agree with shane and kev, every time i use it i still have to refer to the dvd it came with and half billed are a little trickier to get the hang of, i used dovetails on the skirt of the cherry one i built, the walnut one i used a 1 1/4 rounder bit on the corners, gave it an interesting effect, looking forward to more pics

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful chests Eric.  This is something I would love to work up to...in about 10 years.  Right now I am just getting a handle on telling dovetails from a hole in the ground.  Time and patience are going to be key.

Oh and Pug - my son got the big brother of that dang marble set a couple years back.  It is a beast and the instructions are not worth anything...but the kiddo likes it and that is all that matters

• Like 1