Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

Congrats on the jointer Eric! It's one sweet machine. Picked up the 60HH in the Black Friday sale and keep on wondering if saving the cash for the parallelogram was worth it. I'm sure those fears will subside when it finally arrives. You got yours fast? Where did you order from? Got mine through the Woodsmith store.

I always enjoyed milling but this machine definitely takes it to a new level of pleasure.

anodyne - I ordered mine from Amazon and took the first available delivery appointment.  I'm pretty sure they're all drop-shipped from PM regardless of who you order from...I guess it just depends on how quickly your retailer puts in the order and how close you are to the distribution center.  I think it's in TN.

I always enjoyed milling but this machine definitely takes it to a new level of pleasure.

anodyne - I ordered mine from Amazon and took the first available delivery appointment.  I'm pretty sure they're all drop-shipped from PM regardless of who you order from...I guess it just depends on how quickly your retailer puts in the order and how close you are to the distribution center.  I think it's in TN.

PM and Jet are based in TN (just outside of Nashville). They have a huge distribution center here but I'm not sure if they have others throughout the US. I know when I've talked to my local Woodcraft they've told me I can choose if my order comes from Woodcraft Distribution (their preference) or directly from PM/Jet. Ironically, my dust collector/clamps are the only Jet/PM products I own.

PM/Jet Distro center is in LaVerne Tennessee. All my Jet machines, and my PM Planer came from there. 

Did you crowbar your crate apart like I did at first? Then I realized that they put big screws at the bottom that you can take out with a screwgun and just lift the giant box off the top.

• Like 1

Yeah Tom I did pry bar the crate apart, but I had to open it partially while the shipping guys were here just to make sure it was the right unit, wasn't all jacked up, and that we were rolling it in the right direction.  At that point I just knocked the sides off.  It was pretty flimsy anyway.

• Like 1

PM/Jet Distro center is in LaVerne Tennessee. All my Jet machines, and my PM Planer came from there. 

Did you crowbar your crate apart like I did at first? Then I realized that they put big screws at the bottom that you can take out with a screwgun and just lift the giant box off the top.

I lifted the box off mine :)  then used my Sawzall to demolish the rest...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally we had a chance to make a little progress.  And when i say little I mean very little.  We crosscut the panels to final dimension...

DSC_0116.jpg

and then spent the rest of the day assembling and learning the mindmelt machine...

DSC_0121.jpg

We went through the manual then watched the DVD...twice.  I thought my Incra router table was a complicated way to make dovetails.  This unit makes the Incra seem like Dr. Seuss.  By the end of it I felt like it would have been faster just to teach Joe how to cut them by hand.  But I think I get it now and we're planning for test boards Monday morning.  I expect Monday morning to be one of the most frustrating days of my life.

Eccentric bushings...psh...thanks for that. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

If you were just doing a plain old box with through dovetails I would say it would be easy and you're gonna breeze through it. But asymmetric dovetails really complicate things with the D4R (and really any jig). I've done it before so let me know if you have any questions (I know we talked about it a while back and you had it down cold but I'm sure you've forgotten by now.)

Make sure you keep the router in the same orientation the entire time you're routing (especially since you're using two routers.)