Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

I used those Rockler hinges on the toy chest build. I had milled the hinge board a little less than 3/4" resulting in the torsion hinges having a slight gap. This caused the fixed part of the hinges to move slightly when the lid was opened. I wasn't too happy with that. So I fixed it by glueing some thin veneer shims onto the inside of the chest to make up full 3/4" thickness. The shims were sized so they are hidden when the hinges are put into position.

34 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Nice caul! I've wondered if pink insulation with wax on it would work for dovetail and box joints? You don't need a lot of clamping pressure and they'll conform to proud joints. I'll have to try it sometime. 

Eh, maybe.  I think the property that allows it to conform to the proud joints may make it ineffective to close up a stubborn gap.  It would be an interesting experiment though...you should try it and report back. :D

22 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Looking good and great journal. Like a comic book, lots of pics and few words.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I used up all my words in the first post.  Plus I've been super busy so no time to blather on anyway.

9 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

You're using epoxy it looks like? Looking great! I can relate to the igloo. Down to 32* here tonight!

Yep epoxy.  I've pretty much gone to epoxy full time for every dovetail glue-up.  Dovetails and Titebond is stress I just don't need in my life.

It's been freezing here all week.  We cranked the heaters and got the shop almost to 60* and went to work.  The epoxy flowed like snot but I liked the long open time and it cured up fine...skirts are already out of clamps.

Yeah WS with 205 hardener.  I'm gonna get some 206 as well for even more open time.  Leaving stuff in clamps for a full 24 hours is a small price to pay for the huge advantage of the long open times.  The 205 has plenty of open time if you pour it out thin on a flat surface....but its pot life is only like ten minutes...it'll cook itself pretty quick in a Dixie cup.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I hope this crap passes quickly for you guys.

Are you kidding? This has been such a mild winter in the mid-west. It's 26 in January. That's pretty ok in my book. It's when you get a solid month of 0 and below and some days hit -20 that you start packing your house up and looking for a job down south.

5 hours ago, Llama said:

Looking good E, although all I've seen is your buddies work... :) 

You know my policy. :D

5 hours ago, Mike. said:

I use one of these for epoxy.  It is wide enough that you get good open time.  I just reuse the same cup over and over.  I let the left over epoxy cure in the bottom and then use the same cap next time around.  

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Paint-Mixing-Plastic-Measuring/dp/B0023THLMG

After we have parties here we'll sometimes have those "good" paper plates...you know, they're a little thicker and kind of waxy-coated.  The smaller ones are great for this.  They get used up around the house and then I can't find any....I need to locate a big pile of cheap ones to keep in the shop.  They have to be cheaper than those cups...as useful as I'm sure they are.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM, Eric. said:

Eh, maybe.  I think the property that allows it to conform to the proud joints may make it ineffective to close up a stubborn gap.  It would be an interesting experiment though...you should try it and report back. :D

So I wasn't brave enough to use pink insulation but I just tried alder with paste wax and it worked great. Alder is soft enough to dent under clamping pressure. Pine probably would have been better but I didn't have any in the shop. 

2729541F-34C9-4BE7-B79C-33064036ED71_zps

26E5D3C3-F59D-4955-AD90-64BA1A5215A0_zps

• Like 1

Eh, maybe.  I think the property that allows it to conform to the proud joints may make it ineffective to close up a stubborn gap.  It would be an interesting experiment though...you should try it and report back. 

So I wasn't brave enough to use pink insulation but I just tried alder with paste wax and it worked great. Alder is soft enough to dent under clamping pressure. Pine probably would have been better but I didn't have any in the shop. 

2729541F-34C9-4BE7-B79C-33064036ED71_zpsyxcxitpk.jpg

26E5D3C3-F59D-4955-AD90-64BA1A5215A0_zpsxb0xjoon.jpg

I now have a reason to not chuck my aspen cut offs 1aed59038e93b07cf18a62cbe50e24f9.jpg