Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

On September 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Eric. said:

Oh boy.  I really did it this time.

On September 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Eric. said:

foggy memories of the night before...dear lord, what have I done? 

But hey, they're looking good and it will be over before you know it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

These things are coming along great man. What are you finishing them with? I guess ars....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah probably ol' reliable.  I really wanted to get the Fuji out and do some spraying on these, but I'm not sure the weather will be cooperative yet if we finish when I hope to finish, and it sounds like Joe really wants oil-based anyway.  So ARS it is I guess, and I'm not complaining. :)

13 hours ago, Janello said:

Eric, can you share how you went about attaching the skirt assembly to the main box? Also, is that ply or a hardwood panel you used for the base and how did you attach the skirt to that panel? 

Not sure what you mean "attach the skirt to that panel"...?  We glued and screwed cleats to the inside of the skirts, and the cases rest upon those cleats which are also glued and screwed from underneath.

The entire chest is solid wood.  The bottom is a raised panel floating in a groove in the case.  No ply on this one.  Joe wanted straight up old school traditional so that's what he's getting.

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Eric, is that your chest in the last pic, or Joe's?

The cherry one (pictured) is mine, Joe's is the African mahogany.  Mine is better.  Don't tell him.

• Like 1

Maybe that last pic you posted is an optical illusion. I see more reveal in the front than on the sides in that pic. That led me to believe there was a panel sitting in the skirts and the box sitting upon said panel. Looking at the chest back on the saw in the other picture it looks as you described.

I couldn't tell at first but It appears I was seeing the front moulding profile as flat. 

• Like 1

Yeah I've experienced that a couple times but I think it's only certain species and glue types that react that way.  It certainly doesn't happen every time.  Today we glued up the panels, scraped the excess squeeze out, ran an errand and took the panels out of the clamps when we got back, so there wasn't enough time for them to get black even if they wanted to.  But ordinarily I don't really think about it too much.  I thoroughly scrape the squeeze out, and any trace of black that remains is cleaned up in subsequent steps anyway...drum sander, scrapers, ROS, etc.

On 2/26/2016 at 4:08 PM, Eric. said:

Yeah probably ol' reliable.  I really wanted to get the Fuji out and do some spraying on these, but I'm not sure the weather will be cooperative yet if we finish when I hope to finish, and it sounds like Joe really wants oil-based anyway.  So ARS it is I guess, and I'm not complaining. :)

I've done test boards with both cherry and african mahogany, and spraying garnet shellac with satin water-based topcoats looks really nice. Break out your Fuji and you'll have both of these done in a day and the inside won't stink. 1.5 - 2 hours between coats and no dust nibs. 

Of course ARS would look great also but you already know that. Since Joe is doing all the work and wants oil, then how can I argue? :D

Yeah like I said it was originally my intention to spray these chests.  But between the cool/cold weather and the fact that Joe wants oil on that crazy grain on his lid (I don't blame him), plus I love ARS on cherry...it's gonna be ARS.  The wedding isn't until late June so we'll have two or three months to let them air out and totally off-gas.

And even if I were to spray, it would probably be lacquer.  I can't imagine ever spraying waterbased on anything except maple.