Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

I see the makings of a world class journal here.

Plus it'll give the sparky some time to wire the basement so you can finish up the drywall. I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to get back to that...

Also I would point out that whatever you guys are drinking seems to be giving you a lot of wind.;)

• Like 1

Eric, never featured you as a Shaker kind of guy. I was thinking more G. Nakashima, Asian. I like Shaker. I would have more if I could convince the wife.

This co-build ought to be a kick in the ass! Hopefully you'll still be friends in the end. Looking forward to the journal!

Edited by K COOPER

This has the potential of being an experience that you will end up with very fond memories for a life time or come away feeling like the last three month seemed like a life time.  Have fun!!!

Let's see, wings for fighter jets.  You are in St. Louis Mo. so I am guessing he works on the F/18 Super Hornets.

Eric, never featured you as a Shaker kind of guy. I was thinking more G. Nakashima, Asian. I like Shaker. I would have more if I could convince the wife.

This co-build ought to be a kick in the ass! Hopefully you'll still be friends in the end. Looking forward to the journal!

I like many different styles, I just happen to build contemporary stuff more often.  I'm not a big fan of the ornate early American stuff for the most part...all kinds of respect for it but it's a little old fashioned for me.  A lot of the Shaker stuff is a little boring IMO but certain pieces are just so perfect and elegant in their simplicity that it's hard to do better.  I think the blanket chest is one of them.  I don't care for the ones with the drawers...but the basic dovetailed case with skirt and breadboard lid...beautiful.

This has the potential of being an experience that you will end up with very fond memories for a life time or come away feeling like the last three month seemed like a life time.  Have fun!!!

Let's see, wings for fighter jets.  You are in St. Louis Mo. so I am guessing he works on the F/18 Super Hornets.

I can't remember, Chet.  I'll ask him and report back.  I know it's not Boeing he works for...GKN maybe?  It's all top secret but I have high-level clearance. :D

As for the experience...I have a feeling it'll be both.  It's gonna be great when it's done, let's put it that way.

I think the biggest challenge for me is gonna be walking the razor's edge between letting him do most of the work yet not allowing him to screw anything up.  I like being in the driver's seat...but this is his piece and needs to be built with his hands.  All I can do is offer advice and demonstration...the rest is on him.  It's gonna be painful to watch him make mistakes.

Poof!  It's magic.  Just grew out of that stack like a cypress from a swamp.

Yes Kev...him, not me.  You know my identity is confidential and under tight watch.  I could show you my face...but then I'd have to kill you.  If you didn't kill yourself first.

Chet...I asked him what he builds and I forgot already...V-somethings...22?  I know nothing about things that fly.

Ross...no, not planning any secret compartments or complications of any kind.  The theme for this project: simplicity.

• Like 1

This evening we completed round one of milling.  I'm pretty impressed with Joe...he seemed to get the jointer right away after a very brief and basic overview.  A lot of people simply cannot understand what this machine does, how it does it, and why it's necessary.  I let him watch me mill my parts, then I handed the reigns to him and he tore right through it without a glitch.  He put the boards down on the correct face, applied the appropriate amount of pressure in the right places at the right times, fed at a reasonable rate, and produced some dead flat sticks.  This thing may turn out to be not nearly as difficult as I first imagined.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0071_1.jpg

Then we filled up an entire drum with chips from the planer, and got all the boards for our cases and skirts down to just under 7/8".  We'll give them a couple days to rest and do it all over again later in the week.  Then it's time for some glue and clamps.

DSC_0075.jpg