Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

I'm documenting the build so he can put together a photo book of sorts to give to her with the chest.  There's no need to have my pretty face in any of the shots.  I don't want y'all to get all depressed and jealous over my irresistible beauty and manliness.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Just got a LA smoother and set the micro at 35 which might be a little high for end grain. My LA jack is at 25 and I'll see how that does. 

Nah, before I had my LAS I used my #4 for years.  It fights you a little more than the LA does but as long as you're sharp it works fine.  No question though that LA is better for end grain.  That's essentially the only thing I use my LA planes for.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric. said:

I'm documenting the build so he can put together a photo book of sorts to give to her with the chest.  There's no need to have my pretty face in any of the shots.  I don't want y'all to get all depressed and jealous over my irresistible beauty and manliness.

well yeah and you don't want his bride knocking on your door.   

Thanks man.  Yep, we'll rabbet the panels and fit them into grooves in the case.  We didn't quite get there today.  Grooves are done but not the rabbets.  If we get another two days in next week, we should be done with everything except the lids.  The faintest light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm pretty much sick of these damn boxes by now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2016 at 9:19 PM, K Cooper said:

Pretty cool. Thanks.

next question... Shouldn't all cauls be cambered?

Not necessarily, Coop. I would use a cambered caul when I wanted clamping pressure in the middle where my clamps won't reach, but if I'm gluing up a panel and I want to keep the thing flat I use flat cauls. Like this:

http://IMG_1135_zpsuzfyuyq2.jpg

It's probably unnecessary if my boards are jointed correctly, but it helps make certain I'm not (over) clamping a crown or dish into my panel. With pipe clamps I thinks it's doubly important, because those things don't apply even pressure like a parallel clamp.

• Like 1