Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

Sneak preview...

DSC_0022_1.jpg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Here's a summary of my last six months...Joe "working"...he's like a 15 year old girl with that phone.

DSC_0003_4.jpg

Thursday.  Thursday evening these damn boxes will be out of my shop and out of my life.  Thank gawd.

I'm with you @Mike. The phone is for emergencies and job recruiters. Texting was the best thing ever for me when it became popular. Though now I tend to find it more annoying than just about anything. Most of my "phone activities" involve me finding ways to do them from my computer. Like texting with mighty text for android.

This has been a hell of a journal. Kudos to you Eric. I built a 20' long built in entertainment center with my buddy for his house. It took forever and pretty much shut my shop down for anything else. Won't be doing that again soon.

The chests both look fantastic. Very nice work. Congrats on getting them done and out of your shop!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cliff said:

I'm with you @Mike. The phone is for emergencies and job recruiters. Texting was the best thing ever for me when it became popular. Though now I tend to find it more annoying than just about anything. Most of my "phone activities" involve me finding ways to do them from my computer. Like texting with mighty text for android.

I used to hate text messaging. Was the old fart who said, "just call me if you need me". Now, "only call me if it's life or death or requires more than 5 texts". 

Oh ya.... @Eric this has been a great journal. It's actually a little hard to believe it's been 6 months+ in the making! Hopefully Joe is a distributor for Bud Light and brings you a case every time he enters the shop.

• Like 1

Rag, always rag.  I've applied the first coat with a foam brush before, and that's fine...but for subsequent coats I find the brush to be far too sloppy wet.  More control with a rag IMO.  "Rag" = neatly folded t-shirt.

Side note: I was surprised to find that we only used about half of that gallon of ARS after four coats.  I expected to use a lot more than that.  I guess a gallon of ARS is a lot of finish. :huh:

44 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Thanks. I'm finding the foam brush leaves a lot of runs, especially in the corners.

I would agree, the foam brush just leaves holds too much and floods until it starts sputtering out in dr streaks. The barely damp rag with ars has always done it well for me too. Obvious it's slow to build a film, but that's also something I really like about it.

Thanks boys!

I can't say I enjoyed every second of the build, but doing something like this with a good buddy for a good cause made this project more meaningful than another ordinary project, and I'll always look back on the experience with fondness.

I gotta take a little break from the shop for a couple weeks, then I'll get to start something new.  I haven't thought about anything but these chests for so long, I feel a bit out of sorts.