Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Cliff, that slab of tech in your hand, which you use to monitor FB with, also supports this arcane communication protocol, known as 'telephony'. It is rumored that the ancients once used such a protocol over long strands of metalic copper. They were able to initiate, and carry on, conversations with each other - even without thumbs!

I won't use a phone for voice. Period. Phones are for recruiters and conversations with my parents who can't figure out the internet or texting. The only reason I even carry my cell around is that my wife loses her mind if I don't respond right away. I used to go days without seeing it. I very much miss those days. 

I truly do feel like I'm suffering from over-connectedness with people. I mean, suffering like .. fat white American white collar pansy type suffering. You know, not the real stuff :)

Unreal man.  I'm never surprised by your results, but man are these a couple of fantastic pieces.  Both came out beautiful.  Someone said it already, but Joe got an education you can't pay for.  Great thing you did for your buddy.

LOL at pair of socks...like you said, she will appreciate it because he made it, but she'll never know the blood sweat and tears.  Actually you should send her this thread...

Nice job as always man.  Even the hardware came out perfect.  I would've shit my pants routing the mortises for the lid stays on an assembled chest.

What's next on the docket?  A much deserved break?

• Like 1

Thanks B.  Yeah a break for a while then I'll probably do a rolling cabinet for the MFT or the cremains box for my pops I've been putting off for five years.  I'm not excited about much of anything in the shop at the moment, but it'll come back.  I really need a few shop orgo sessions too.

And yeah, routing for the lid stays and drilling the holes in the lid was some fairly heavy stress.  All good in the hood though...disasters averted.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 18, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Eric. said:

:D

I was waiting for someone to say something.  That's my beat up Marples junker that I keep for exactly this purpose...sawing gluey dowels.  I also have a very nice flush trim saw that hangs in the tool cabinet and is only used on clean wood.  That Marples is one of the best pieces of junk I've ever bought though...never seems to dull and keeps cutting even with the glue clogging up the teeth...and it was only like ten bucks or so.

Eric, is the saw you were using? I had all forgot about getting one until I started building a project that has about 50 dowels that need trimming. I have a flexible Japanese type pull saw but the teeth scratch the wood surface.

IRWIN Tools Double-Edge Pull Saw, 9.5-Inch (213103)

i thought I was pasting the link but apparently not.

• 1 month later...