Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

1 hour ago, Chet K. said:

Is he going to keep it hidden for a few months or present it to his fiancé now?

Yeah Chet, after we took the photos yesterday we loaded it up in the van and took it to another buddy's house who has a vacant basement.   We set it down there in a safe corner, lid open, covered with a sheet.  The wedding is a couple months off still so it should be plenty off-gassed by then.

He'll present it to her at the rehearsal dinner, and I'll be in charge of delivering it to the event that day.  I look forward to seeing her reaction, though I'm trying to stay realistic about it.  I'm sure she'll appreciate it because it's something he made for her, but I doubt she'll understand just how much work and attention and stress goes into making something like that.  I'm envisioning a similar reaction to a kid getting socks for Christmas.

• Like 1

But in this case the socks are made of some really nice mahogany.

I have never been able to read peoples reactions to things I have made.  I can't tell if they are impressed with the work or if its more of, they didn't know you were capable of making anything out of wood period. 

24 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Yeah Chet, after we took the photos yesterday we loaded it up in the van and took it to another buddy's house who has a vacant basement.   We set it down there in a safe corner, lid open, covered with a sheet.  The wedding is a couple months off still so it should be plenty off-gassed by then.

He'll present it to her at the rehearsal dinner, and I'll be in charge of delivering it to the event that day.  I look forward to seeing her reaction, though I'm trying to stay realistic about it.  I'm sure she'll appreciate it because it's something he made for her, but I doubt she'll understand just how much work and attention and stress goes into making something like that.  I'm envisioning a similar reaction to a kid getting socks for Christmas.

Good thing you took pics so that she pesters him to build her stuff instead of thinking you built it and pestering you. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Couple of things....

First, the chest look great. Super clean and very classy.

Second, tell Joe that Bud Light sucks!

He knows, I know, we know.  We're both micro-brew drinkers most of the time.  But this is St. Louis, man...you can't walk to your mailbox without tripping over something with an AB logo on it.  We all have that crap laying around our houses, en masse.

As for having pictures of them together in a few years...I doubt that's gonna happen.  I have a feeling mine won't be moving from my bedroom until after I'm dead and gone.

I think his chest looks fine.  I'm still not a fan of African mahogany.  It has some neat ribbon in it but it just doesn't do it for me.  Honduran, on the other hand...that would be a different story.  But it ain't no Honduran.  I do love the cherry though.  So rich and warm.  Cherry and walnut.  I could just build with cherry and walnut forever and I'd be happy as a clam.

• Like 2

Awesome job Mr. Moderator :D You boys have skills. 

I'm sure you have already thought about this, but just in case ya didn't. Being my anal self,  I hope the finish has had sufficient time to get nice and hard before you covered them with a bed sheet? The sheet could print the corners of the box lid if the finish is still curing.

Beautiful work!

-Ace-

2 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Awesome job Mr. Moderator :D You boys have skills. 

I'm sure you have already thought about this, but just in case ya didn't. Being my anal self,  I hope the finish has had sufficient time to get nice and hard before you covered them with a bed sheet? The sheet could print the corners of the box lid if the finish is still curing.

Beautiful work!

-Ace-

Yeah that's a valid concern but I think we'll be okay.  I'm pretty sure it had at least a week to cure and it was hard enough to polish after only a few days so it should be good.  That would be a big bummer though!

21 minutes ago, N00b-in-training said:

makes one wonder.... to get into the FB Guild group your name must match your Guild name. therefore he must be Henry Abigail, no? the things that make you say hmmm....

I theorize that he has a third name, maybe a fourth too. Joined the guild on a bunch of alias names.

• Like 1

Great attention to detail as usual Eric and they turned out great. You nailed the dovetails with the Leigh jig and the hardware is sweet. 

I hear you about cherry being an awesome wood. I've done some test boards of African mahogany, and while it's nice, it's not worth the 50% premium over cherry. 

My kids' names are Abby and Henry.  I'm not a facebook guy but you basically can't get through life without it at this point so I made up a phony baloney account so I can participate in a few groups here and there.

Can't get through life without it?! Sellout.....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you are of a certain age group it's very hard to not be on facebook in a personal capacity. It's pretty much the only way I talk to most of my real life friends now. I hate FB, but mostly because they show me so much stuff I don't care about like when people like a post or comment on someone's thing that I don't even know. And they removed the feature to not see your friends comments and likes. Then of course children pictures and religious stuff are another couple of things that I can't stand. I'd close it down but then I wouldn't even know that I'm supposed to meet up with people for dinner tomorrow night. And oh yeah.. FB is how my wife and I hooked up. We went to high school together and she added me 10 years later and I was like "Whatever. I'll add you." Now, married with dog.