Double Secret Blanket Chest Build

Eric.

He's clearly at Eric's house helping with the basement.

That would be a good excuse and probably could have used it...for a week or two.

I asked him the same question at the start...what are you gonna tell her about being gone all the time for a couple months straight?  He kind of shrugged like he hadn't even considered it.  He said she's finishing some post-grad college courses so she's gone evenings all the time anyway.  I told him he should just tell her he's working on a "surprise" for her, that he'll be gone frequently for a while, and leave it at that.  That's what he did and apparently it's a non-issue.  So it's really only single secret but double secret is more fun to say.  We are building two of them if you wanna get all technical about it. :P

This evening we completed round one of milling.  I'm pretty impressed with Joe...he seemed to get the jointer right away after a very brief and basic overview.  A lot of people simply cannot understand what this machine does, how it does it, and why it's necessary.  I let him watch me mill my parts, then I handed the reigns to him and he tore right through it without a glitch.  He put the boards down on the correct face, applied the appropriate amount of pressure in the right places at the right times, fed at a reasonable rate, and produced some dead flat sticks.  This thing may turn out to be not nearly as difficult as I first imagined.

He might just have the right aptitude for wood working.  He works with his hands on the day job and knowing what he makes, I would guess that attention to detail is important to him.

Well, the fun never ends.  The jointer threw its pulley key.  Set screw is missing as well.  Guess the project is on hold until I can get Grizzly to send me some new garbage parts for their garbage machine.  With as much Grizzly equipment as I have in my shop, it's a good thing we gave ourselves until June to complete this project.  We may need every last week available.  I am not happy at the moment.  I have to say...I spend a totally unacceptable amount of time dealing with Grizzly mechanical failure.

DSC_0052_2.jpg

Well, the fun never ends.  The jointer threw its pulley key.  Set screw is missing as well.  Guess the project is on hold until I can get Grizzly to send me some new garbage parts for their garbage machine.  With as much Grizzly equipment as I have in my shop, it's a good thing we gave ourselves until June to complete this project.  We may need every last week available.  I am not happy at the moment.  I have to say...I spend a totally unacceptable amount of time dealing with Grizzly mechanical failure.

DSC_0052_2.jpg

LOL.  Don't mean to laugh man, but I literally just had the same exact issue a few weeks ago (posted about it here, I believe you saw it).  Someone else also had this issue on a Grizzly TS.  The set screws holding the key on are total garbage.  Good luck man.  At least their CS department is good and will probably send you parts quickly.  How many times have you headed over to powermatic.com today?

I'm reasonably happy with my Grizzly jointer, but the more I take it apart and interact with the internals the less impressed I am with it.  I got a lot of jointer for the money, which is good I guess, but I don't think I'd buy another big Grizzly machine.

==>Grizzly to send me

Local hardware store, auto garage, NAPA, etc. It'll be metric, but they'll probably have both the key stock and set screws... My local ACE/TrueValue has all that stuff... Or McMaster-Carr.... You may have to get key stock and cut it to size, but that's no big deal...

I remember years and years ago, before outboard motors had clutches, they had shear pins. And you darn sure kept several in your tackle box (or my dad did), cause you're a long way from Mc Master Carr when you need one. 

Eric, is that an 8" jointer?

How many times have you headed over to powermatic.com today?

Zero.  But only because I made the commitment to this machine a few months ago when I bought the Byrd head.  I'm pretty much stuck with it now.  One thing I am dead certain about though...if I ever lose a Grizzly for any reason, it's gonna be replaced with something that doesn't have a stupid bear on it.

These machines...they work fine when they work.  But there's just way too much failure in between.  I don't put nearly enough hours on my machines to have as many issues as I have.  Every month it seems there's something else.

==>Grizzly to send me

Local hardware store, auto garage, NAPA, etc. It'll be metric, but they'll probably have both the key stock and set screws... My local ACE/TrueValue has all that stuff... Or McMaster-Carr.... You may have to get key stock and cut it to size, but that's no big deal...

Good idea, I may try that.

Eric, is that an 8" jointer?

Yep.

Buckle your seatbelts, y'all...you're in for a long ride.  This kind of thing is exactly why I hesitate to start journals...indefinite endings.  Not that this one won't end, but...

...anyway, the seemingly minor jointer issue has unfolded into a complete debacle.  So, lest I bore you all to tears, suffice it to say there will likely be no new developments in this journal until around Thanksgiving.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have not run a board over it yet.  We had a number of adult beverages this evening so I'm gonna save that for tomorrow.  My buddy wired it up and we turned 'er on and off a few times.  Purrs like a kitten.  I checked the tables and fence with my straight edges and everything looks great.  Maybe a thou dip in the middle of the infeed table...I can see a trace of light but can't get even a one thou feeler gauge under it.  Fit and finish is outstanding.  I'm very very happy so far.  We're gonna put it through its paces tomorrow for the real test.  Fingers crossed.

Uncrating and getting it off the pallet wasn't too bad actually.  Just kind of pivoted it a few times and there it was.  Easier than expected.