No Mods/Administration allowed thread

Brendon_t

Not sure I can take anymore breakups - first the Kermit and Miss Piggy Break-Up, now this

Kermit had it right when he sang.....

"It's not that easy being green;
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold-
or something much more colorful like that."

• Like 1

So there's no ill-will here, no fun story of vengeance or rallying against corporate greed, and certainly no reason to question my integrity (which I always find amusing). Just trying to make lemonade from a few lemons.

Thanks for chiming in, Marc.  Sorry, the regulars around here (myself included/especially) can be like a sewing circle.  We crave intrigue because most of us live boring lives.  Thanks for giving us the backstory.  Looking forward to all the new tool reviews (I already enjoyed the Bosch glide review in this week's woodtalk).  Keep up the good work.

I was right! It's a smart move on your part Marc. I've always been turned off by the people on Facebook always saying things like "I could make nice things too if I had all Festool stuff". Now they see that it's not the tool, but the nut behind it.

Takes a big time moron to say things like that.

Edit: Doh! I've just noticed you saw that in Facebook.

It's a good thing you edited that. I took slight offense to being called a moron considering what I said didn't warrant that statement. Carry on!

I was never meaning you were the moron! I meant the people who blame their tools for their own lack of skills.The fact that the source was Facebook, well it just makes more sense (in a sarcastic and humorous way).

Personally, I appreciate Marc's decision.  It shows his intentionality to bring high quality woodworking to those of us who have limited budgets.  I can buy two or three good middle of the line tools for the price of a Kapex.  I hope to buy a Domino in the future as I think that's a great tool that would have a huge impact on a lot of projects, but I can live without one too.  I was lucky enough to have a friend who worked in a Sears store who let me know when they were clearing out their floor models.  I bought a Craftsman 12" SCMS for $129 (never used) and a hybrid table saw for $140 (again, never used).  They cut wood fine, which is their purpose.  When Marc uses his Kapex, I use my Craftsman CMS.  When he uses his ETS, I use my PC 333.  While some tools have advantages over others, technique is the key.  A good tool will not overcome bad technique, IMHO.  I will continue to upgrade tools in my shop by buying the best tool I can afford and if Marc can point me in that direction, then he hits the mark as a great educator.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Several days went by between the time I listened to WT279 and having time to come read, "What Happened To Festool."  The thought that kept coming to mind was, "If a Kapex is ~$1400 and you can sell it for half that, and buy another brand of sliding miter saw for $700, you're not ahead and you don't have a Kapex (even if Kapex is not a 'game-changer')."  There's still the advantage of being able to review other brands for us, which we appreciate, and freeing Marc up to promote other brands and attract other sponsors, which is necessary in the business world, but to paraphrase Joshua 24:15, "as for me and my house," I'll keep my Kapex, thanks!  We're behind you 100%, Marc, and thanks for taking the time to explain something you weren't obligated to divulge to listeners.

I generally only tap into one thing on the MFT: cross-cuts. I originally bought an MFT (pre-TWW) for my business. I was making so many plywood cabinets and getting good consistent square ends on my wide cabinet and bookcase sides was a constant annoyance. The MFT fixed that problem. So I bought the MFT for rock-solid dead on 90 degree cross-cuts on sheetgoods.

This is truly in line with whole Hybrid Woodworking philosophy. I have always felt this way. I own many tools from a variety of companies and the Festool brand excels in sanders, vans, the Domino (only own the 500). The routers are possibly easier to use and get accurate results but not really all that much different than a lot of other routers on the market including Dewalt and Triton. for years I avoided hand planes believing that I could get the accuracy I needed from exclusively using high quality power tools. Partly from Marc's book/philosophy and partly just from gradual experience I have recently moved to using the tool which works the best for the job; hand tool or power (My sharpening technique has also improved.) The TS55 does excel at cross-cuts, whether solid wood or plywood. Beyond that, it really isn't the appropriate tool for other jobs such as ripping (at least not without a lot of investment in other accessories). I wish I had long ago come to this view. It would have saved me a lot of money over the past 30+ years.

It started with Diresta, but some youtubers have taken to painting their tools to hide what brand they are.  In part because they aren't getting paid to endorse any brand, and in part because they are tired of getting questions about brands.  By painting over them it helps make it be about just a guy (or girl) with a drill, not a guy with a brand.  I'm just too lazy to be taking apart tools to paint them.

Doesn't really matter what color you paint a Domino though...

IMO anyone who says things like "well i could build that if I had all those fancy tools" or "Iets see you build that without those tools" is either jealous, or a troll, or both. (Nearly) everyone with a fancy shop started out with DIY type stuff.   Most people starting out, who are serious about the craft, also realize there is a long runway.   

Life is not a spectator sport.   These trolls sitting behind their computers acting pissy that marc has a nicer shop need to get away from their keyboards and go build something.  But my guess is they are professional spectators and never will build anything.   

It started with Diresta, but some youtubers have taken to painting their tools to hide what brand they are.  In part because they aren't getting paid to endorse any brand, and in part because they are tired of getting questions about brands.  By painting over them it helps make it be about just a guy (or girl) with a drill, not a guy with a brand.  I'm just too lazy to be taking apart tools to paint them.

Doesn't really matter what color you paint a Domino though...

Is that why direst a does it? I kind of thought he was just really narcissistic. 

Edited by Brendon_t

yeah, one thing that gets me are the guys that say if i had you tools or the room i could do what you do, well i don't have that many tools and i work in a single car garage so those arguments just don't hold water. the thing that gets me is these guys have to get together for coffee or lunch every day and talk about what they could do, will do, hope to do, if they ever get up of the couch witch never happens!

• Like 1

Jimmy exained, in one of the 'Makin It' podcasts, that painting his tools white started because of a sponsorship deal with Dewalt that went sour. Now its become part of his "brand", more or less.

makes sense. I was more talking about tagging every single tool wroth his name.  I had a clover carved into my mechanics tools when I worked at a bmw dealership.  That was more when people borrow them, they come back to the right box. I've never thought the need to brand my workshop stuff. 

makes sense. I was more talking about tagging every single tool wroth his name.  I had a clover carved into my mechanics tools when I worked at a bmw dealership.  That was more when people borrow them, they come back to the right box. I've never thought the need to brand my workshop stuff. 

Having his name everywhere is because people steal the videos and run their own ads on them.  If you just have a logo or your name somewhere at a couple points they just edit that stuff out.  So by putting his name everywhere it's impossible for them to take it without at least building his brand name even if he doesn't get the ad revenue.

Having his name everywhere is because people steal the videos and run their own ads on them.  If you just have a logo or your name somewhere at a couple points they just edit that stuff out.  So by putting his name everywhere it's impossible for them to take it without at least building his brand name even if he doesn't get the ad revenue.

that again,  makes sense.  I've never heard of someone stealing video and ad revenue. But where there is a penny to be made,  someone will disregard their morals to steal it. 

==>It seemed wrong to spray paint a brand new Hilti.

Our facilities guys spray the handles of tools, A-frame ladders, etc with blaze blue (our company's logo color) to identify them at a distance... Prevents tools 'walking'... Well, maybe not prevent -- 'discourages' may be a better term...