Forget the Roubo, bring on the Shaker!

N00b-in-training

Haha, yes anticlimactic. However I'm following the build identical to the FWW Ultimate Shaker Workbench series which they have provided for free on their site. The only changes I'm making is to accommodate the BC hardware which is getting installed tomorrow and I'll have pics of that and details for what I've had to change so far.

In other news, hit a big bummer on the chop. I spent a good amount of time picking the exact right piece for the front of the laminated chop. While the chop was in the clamps today I reread the BC Glide/Crisscross instructions. I forgot about putting the 8/4 on the front and the 4/4 on the back due to the stress the Crisscross puts on the chop.

Here's what I wanted:

82ccbee5551ea7f58fee3e5711256958.jpg

Here's what it'll be instead:

34293607f8f51651fafb56171147456f.jpg

Oh well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My second 'Oh Shit!' moment. I completely forgot about the stretcher/front laminate going below the top of the front leg and being 5 1/2". This now prohibits me in two ways. 1) no good way to attach the tail vise rail to the bottom. 2) I'd have to cut an inch off of the leg and tenon of the side stretcher to make it work.

Thinking my only real option is an attempt at ripping the front stretcher off on the table saw and then add an extra 1 1/2" in front of the dog hole strip. 9f6802c640d433c29453155e5310ceef.jpg

On 2/13/2016 at 10:31 PM, N00b-in-training said:

I reread the BC Glide/Crisscross instructions. I forgot about putting the 8/4 on the front and the 4/4 on the back due to the stress the Crisscross puts on the chop.

I built mine the same way, regardless of the instructions.  I'm comfortable testing this point.   In my chop, the 8/4 side finished to about 1 13/16... the mortise depth was 1 7/16... I can't imagine a glue line that is buried an additional 5/16" deep going to hurt anything in the strength of this chop.  I'm not terribly sure it would matter much even if the glue line was the floor of that mortise.  

The bench looks great Jason.  You are a different bird from me,  I couldn't build a drawer here and there between other projects.  Every time I looked at and open spot it would be like an itch I couldn't scratch.:blink:  I would have to finish them all.

12 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Beautiful bench dude. Great job!

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun and a ton of learning!

1 minute ago, Chet K. said:

The bench looks great Jason.  You are a different bird from me,  I couldn't build a drawer here and there between other projects.  Every time I looked at and open spot it would be like an itch I couldn't scratch.:blink:  I would have to finish them all.

Thanks!!

I'll be limited to however many I can get done next weekend. The boss is getting a little antsy that I've put her todo list on hold for a month! Desk, wall hanging cup holder, sewing table, dining room table, sofa table, etc are all on the list.

Beautiful bench.

6 minutes ago, N00b-in-training said:

I'll be limited to however many I can get done next weekend. The boss is getting a little antsy that I've put her todo list on hold for a month! Desk, wall hanging cup holder, sewing table, dining room table, sofa table, etc are all on the list

Been listening to this for close to 45 years... all I can say is keep her happy.  If your honey do's look anything like your bench, you've got it made!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I think the drawers will rock! What will the drawer fronts be made of? 

I hate to say it but they'll be poplar with milk paint. I used milk paint, only because I've never used it before, on all of the sides and i like how it turned out. Will be interesting to see how it looks on the drawer with the walnut chop next to it. Here is one of the sides, the danish oil was still wet when i took this pic so hopefully the red settles down a bit. If not, shop dust after a couple of months will certainly tone it down.

IMG_0455 (1).jpg

• Like 1

This looks great! All these benches are making me really embarrassed about how terrible mine is. It's just a 3/4" particle board top with a reclaimed pine base.

I REALLY like the shaker idea for more storage i work in a small space and  it'd be very useful for me. To be clear the main difference from the shaker to the Roubo is the storage underneath?

From my research... It's typically a workbench with enclosed storage. The storage space varies from cupboards to drawers with the historical design being more cupboards. The carcus design is typically timber frame but many (such as Benchcrafted's) are made from 3/4 plywood. I'll have a full write up later but my main regret is starting w FWW's design and then retrofitting it to handle BC vises. If I were to start over I would follow BC's roubo plans and then make it Shaker by adding the panels, web frame for drawers, and drawers.

Very cool, Jason! I like the red. Milk paint should allow a bit of grain to show through, I think its a real nice look for this bench.

Thanks! Since its poplar very very little grain shows through w two coats of milk paint. Perhaps I'll try a little milk paint on a piece of ash and see how it looks.