A chair that rocks!!

shaneymack

Good to know. I was a little freaked out after doing the coves on either side. As you can see in the pictures, i need to thin a bit still.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The way the front legs come back into the chair is kind of weird!  Once you finally get them to where you are, at least you know you've tamed the beast and you're not really going to screw it up..lol

I used a sander there that wasn't in Marc's videos and it really helped!  Had them in my shop for years.  On clearance right now at Rockler too...

http://www.rockler.com/25-piece-rubber-sanding-drum-set

Did you do the hard lines on the inside like Marc? You have any pics of the front legs inside and out?

8 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I guess I didn't do any close ups of that during the build journal..  I could take some if you need them?

My hard lines went away pretty quickly as they transitioned into the leg.

If its not too much trouble to take a pic of the inside of the front leg and the outside? Im just trying to gauge how close I am.

You can email them to me  if you want if thats easier. Thanks Kev. 

• Like 1

I know you've put in over 50 hours, but from this side of the screen it seems like you've been flying through this thing :)

And not sacrificing quality either.  Everything looks awesome so far.  Are you going with just mahogany lams for the rockers or are you gonna mix in another species?  What about the plugs?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

I know you've put in over 50 hours, but from this side of the screen it seems like you've been flying through this thing :)

And not sacrificing quality either.  Everything looks awesome so far.  Are you going with just mahogany lams for the rockers or are you gonna mix in another species?  What about the plugs?

Funny you ask, Im sitting here looking at all the photos/videos of Sam Maloofs chairs online right now trying to figure out what wood for the rockers and ideas for my final sculpting. I think i might do wenge and mahogany for the rockers and wenge for the plugs. I might add a layer of maple as well. im still not sure. 

What do you think? Im open for suggestions....

This is an unexpected long break.. I check every day hoping for more.

Lol. Tell me about it. Havent been out there in what feels like forever. We've been dealing with stomach flu, and lots of parties. Im so done with barf and people. I just want to shape some wood!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully tomorrow i can get a few hours in.

On 12/29/2015 at 3:02 PM, shaneymack said:

I think i might do wenge and mahogany for the rockers and wenge for the plugs. I might add a layer of maple as well. im still not sure. 

Okay, I'll bite. :D

You already know my thoughts on ebony.  If this was my rocker I'd be using ebony for the rocker lams and plugs.  I realize it's expensive and can be difficult to find in the appropriate length, but I would use scarf joints if I couldn't find long enough pieces.

Wenge would look cool too but you'll have to be very careful about the pieces that you choose.  You'll need to be sure that any of the visible wenge is rift or quartersawn...and dark black.  There's a bit of variability in color in wenge, and I wouldn't want that brown color popping out...just black.  It seems like the closer to QS wenge is, the blacker the color.  The brown "electric shock" effect seems to be more pronounced in flat sawn boards.

Finally, I wouldn't add the maple lams.  IMO three colors is too busy.  But obviously that's just my opinion.  But I'm right. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Lol. Tell me about it. Havent been out there in what feels like forever. We've been dealing with stomach flu, and lots of parties. Im so done with barf and people. I just want to shape some wood!!!!!!!!!!

Since you don't drink, what was it? Too much yoghurt? :D

+1 to Eric's comment.  For all the time and effort, spend the $30 on a piece of ebony

Lol. At 130$ bd ft its going to have to take a lot more than that! Add a zero to that. Trying to spend less money this year.....trying. of course hanging out here never helps with that!

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

I think i might do wenge and mahogany for the rockers and wenge for the plugs. I might add a layer of maple as well. im still not sure. 

Okay, I'll bite. 

You already know my thoughts on ebony.  If this was my rocker I'd be using ebony for the rocker lams and plugs.  I realize it's expensive and can be difficult to find in the appropriate length, but I would use scarf joints if I couldn't find long enough pieces.

Wenge would look cool too but you'll have to be very careful about the pieces that you choose.  You'll need to be sure that any of the visible wenge is rift or quartersawn...and dark black.  There's a bit of variability in color in wenge, and I wouldn't want that brown color popping out...just black.  It seems like the closer to QS wenge is, the blacker the color.  The brown "electric shock" effect seems to be more pronounced in flat sawn boards.

Finally, I wouldn't add the maple lams.  IMO three colors is too busy.  But obviously that's just my opinion.  But I'm right. 

I will have to check what they have in stock in terms of wenge. I agree about the ebony but ebony is ridiculously priced. Also more dicking around with the scarf joints. Not sure ebony vs wenge will be that noticeable in two or three 3/16" strips down at floor level .

I am leaning towards just doing the two different species in the rockers instead of three.

Since you don't drink, what was it? Too much yoghurt? 

Im not sure. Really weird stomach bug going around up here. I was really sick on the 26th for 24 hours and still had trouble eating and a sore stomach up untill the 31st. My wife and three of the kids also got it. Really crappy, pun intended.

Once you apply finish to the quartersawn side of wenge, it turn pretty darn dark.  With thin strips like you would be using, I think it would look great.  Also, its wenge, not poplar.  Around me it's about $21 bd/ft, so it's not like you'd be cheaping out by using it instead of ebony. 

• Like 1