A chair that rocks!!

shaneymack

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I love the hard line transition from the arm

12 hours ago, TIODS said:

Nice job Shane!  really starting to take shape!

12 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

Looking good, looking damn good Shane. 

10 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Thats some amazing stuff there buddy.  Sculpting looks like it can be therapeutic.

8 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

That arm curve is sweet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Everything seems to flow organically . Looking very good !

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Shane, this a great take on the Maloof style. You are a sculptor at heart, my friend!

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

Amazing transitions and curves!

Thanks a lot guys! :)

• Like 1

Outstanding build. Even more surprising is your picture log/comments. Most guys  throw a few pics up, leaving more questions than answers.

I have been contemplating building a Maloof rocker for some months (actually years) and found this post to be the most valuable info to date.

Some of it encourages me, as well as gives reason for caution.

A couple questions;

What are the grits of the Auriou files?

What, or who's, plans are you using?

Any other instruction material other than plans?

Did you opt for ( or did the plan call for), cut seat back spindles rather than laminated?

By the way, you have a shop full of top line tools. Of course you knew that, having paid for them. LOL

Looking forward to more posts.

Thanks, Ron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodsmoke said:

Outstanding build. Even more surprising is your picture log/comments. Most guys  throw a few pics up, leaving more questions than answers.

I have been contemplating building a Maloof rocker for some months (actually years) and found this post to be the most valuable info to date.

Some of it encourages me, as well as gives reason for caution.

A couple questions;

What are the grits of the Auriou files?

What, or who's, plans are you using?

Any other instruction material other than plans?

Did you opt for ( or did the plan call for), cut seat back spindles rather than laminated?

By the way, you have a shop full of top line tools. Of course you knew that, having paid for them. LOL

Looking forward to more posts.

Thanks, Ron

Hey Ron, thanks for the comments!

There are a couple places online to get templates and instruction. The best of course is Marc from the http://woodwhispererguild.com/. You can buy the project video and the templates which makes the build very easy. The other option is Charles Brock http://charlesbrockchairmaker.com/ You can get templates and some video content from him as well but im not sure it is as good as Marcs. 

My auriou Rasps are 12" 6 grain, 9" 10 grain and the 13 grain modellers. HIGHLY recommend these rasps. They are a pleasure to use. 

I was thinking of trying the laminated spindles because i wanted to match the wood pattern in the rockers but decided to go with the traditional Maloof style as this is my first time and didn't want to introduce another variable that I could potentially screw up. 

If you need any help, please dont be shy. You can write me a PM or post a question in this thread, Would be my pleasure. 

Shane

Also, you can look up the project journal by Kev (TIODS). He did a great job, his chair is beautiful. 

That's a lot of rasp dust there. Have you considered mixing it with glue and making a mini rocker out of it?

Looking good Shane, you're getting pretty close to the end. Have you done a test fit to see how comfortable it is?

Lol. I have been testing this thing since i had only the seat done ! It is quite amazing how comfy wood can feel!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk