A chair that rocks!!

shaneymack

So the little left hook guy is what slides into the track?  I figured it would have to go into something else. 

Ya it just slides in the t track. If you look at my most recent update, you can see a pic with the clamps being used in the front t track to hold the headrest. I dont have a vise, thats what i use. I also use them in the 20mm holes on my bench top. I can clamp anything pretty much anywhere on the bench top using this method.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

BOOM! Sculpted rocker horns ... now there is justification to buy a Guinevere sanding system!

Just when I've convinced myself that I'll never need to buy another tool again you tell me about this sanding system?!?!? Thanks alot Ross!!

It looks like it would be a very useful tool for sculpted furniture. I see one of these in my future!

On 12/22/2015 at 9:07 PM, shaneymack said:

You have any pics of yours? Were yours done the same way?

Mine are a bit shorter.  In between the template and what Marc did.  I can snag some closer pics if you need?

Just one of those "personal choice" things on the chair.

You have any pics of yours? Were yours done the same way?

Mine are a bit shorter.  In between the template and what Marc did.  I can snag some closer pics if you need?

Just one of those "personal choice" things on the chair.

Thanks Kev, I was just curious. Im planning on doing more of these in my lifetime so I decided to do this one very traditional. I like the way Marc did his as well.

44 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Sweet man.  That hour ticker sure does creep up quickly doesn't it.  

How is the spindle world going? 

Ys man it goes really fast. I couldn't believe that it was 4 hours shaping those 4 leg to seat transitions. Its so much fun i didnt see the time pass by. In the Maloof documentary on Youtube I think it was one of his workers that said it is about 5-6 days to build that chair and 2-3 weeks for sanding and shaping. So i got a few hours left ! Lol

Three of the spindles cracked at the tenon when i was fitting them. Two were easily repairable with epoxy but the other was not possible. I made two more spindles, 1 to replace the broken one and one as a spare. I realize now that you just need to relieve a lot more material in the seat tenon than I was doing at first. When i re fit the new tenon i had no issues at all. Like Kev told me, it doesn't matter to remove a bunch of material on that lower tenon as it will be filled with epoxy. He is right. I was probably worried to remove too much material the first time around and as i was pushing the spindles forward to line them up with the headrest they snapped. Personally I think the template could be modified so that the spindle lines up a little better without relieving that extra stock but it worked so I'm happy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIODS said:

Looking awesome Shane!  The front legs were the scary part for me.  Seems like your hogging away material forever and not getting the result that you just know is in there!

Thanks Kev. I agree the front legs were the part of the whole project where i thought to myself it woulf be really easy to scrap the whole project here. Did you need to thin out your legs a bit above and below the joint after you did that huge cove? I might not have turned it thin enough. Maybe im imagining it?

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Shane I'm trying to picture what you mean on modding the template. Which line would you leave in place and which one would you bring in a bit?

Well i would have to play around with it a little bit but i think by angling the bottom part of the spindles a few degrees backwards would put the spindle in the proper orientation without having to mess around with thinning out the already small and fragile tenon.

2 hours ago, Chet K. said:

The shaping does look like it would be fun.  I didn't see myself ever building something like this but you might be poking the bear for me.

Oh damn, that means I would have to buy more tools.

Good Chet, im glad! Its a really fun project, give it a try! 

Yes it does require a lot of tools. Lots of power tools and lots of hand tools. 

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Thanks Kev. I agree the front legs were the part of the whole project where i thought to myself it woulf be really easy to scrap the whole project here. Did you need to thin out your legs a bit above and below the joint after you did that huge cove? I might not have turned it thin enough. Maybe im imagining it?

In hindsight, I probably did but, just as a matter of blending the joint to look like I wanted.  The lathe got it close and the general shape but the rasps, card scrapers, and sandpaper got it to final size and shape.

• Like 1

In hindsight, I probably did but, just as a matter of blending the joint to look like I wanted.  The lathe got it close and the general shape but the rasps, card scrapers, and sandpaper got it to final size and shape.

Good to know. I was a little freaked out after doing the coves on either side. As you can see in the pictures, i need to thin a bit still.

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Good to know. I was a little freaked out after doing the coves on either side. As you can see in the pictures, i need to thin a bit still.

The way the front legs come back into the chair is kind of weird!  Once you finally get them to where you are, at least you know you've tamed the beast and you're not really going to screw it up..lol

I used a sander there that wasn't in Marc's videos and it really helped!  Had them in my shop for years.  On clearance right now at Rockler too...;)

http://www.rockler.com/25-piece-rubber-sanding-drum-set