A chair that rocks!!

shaneymack

The top of the back slats have a 3/8" tenon that fits into a 3/8" hole that was drilled into the headrest. The bottom of the slats have a 1/2" tenon that fits into a 1/2" hole that was drilled into the seat. It will all be glued in place with epoxy. 

If you look back through the journal I think there are some pics of the tenons/mortises....

Sorry, the head rest is so well fared that it looks glued up, making slat installation a challenge.

Now I feel like a dope. LOL

Lol no worries! It's just screwed in. I will take the screws out and glue the spindles and headrest all together hopefully tonight!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Truly spectacular chair Shane!

And yeah, normally dull people would think this is boring, but we are woodworkers...You know, folks that are more attuned to the nuances of life.

Lol very true Dave! But building a lamination form isnt the most interesting part of the sculpted rocker !

Looking great man.  I can't wait to see this chair after finish and a year of sunlight on it.  Gonna be beautiful.

Ya it darkens up pretty good huh? It actually darkened up quite a bit over the few weeks that I didnt work on it. I noticed when I scraped and sanded the spindles.

I can wait to see this wood with finish on it either. The chatoyance is incredible, it shimmers in the sunlight as I walk around it!!

Hold off dude, just got word that rocking chairs are no longer the IN thing!

Looking fantastic!

Well if thats the case I might as well give it to some old guy to sit in all day to rock on his front porch as he heckles the passersby......

Hey coop, you want a rocking chair?

Okay, i'll bite, why the tape

Just looks really cool.

Just kidding, so the glue wont stick. Good idea for a multiple use glue up jig.

22 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Well if thats the case I might as well give it to some old guy to sit in all day to rock on his front porch as he heckles the passersby......

Bawahaha.. you may have to change the font size.  He's only using a 42" monitor.  Those pesky letters are small. 

This was 4 months, in the dark garage. 4 coats ars, maybe combined 3 hours direct sunlight. .79d2f8d40a4902e4e080ccdd45f4235a.jpg

Before

f100d9cb2c0d0f7bfefd50dbb7f9fe45.jpg

After

Bawahaha.. you may have to change the font size.  He's only using a 42" monitor.  Those pesky letters are small. 

This was 4 months, in the dark garage. 4 coats ars, maybe combined 3 hours direct sunlight. .79d2f8d40a4902e4e080ccdd45f4235a.jpg

Before

f100d9cb2c0d0f7bfefd50dbb7f9fe45.jpg

After

Wow! That's a heck of a change!

So hard to tell from pictures but, that looks like a pretty good job on the glue up!  Getting closer to "a chair that rocks"!

Ya it went really well Kev. I used f clamps to clamp the stack to the form so keep the edges flush. The actual glue up took exactly 11 minutes so i know what to expect tomorrow.

How did you go about the strips? Narrow ts cuts,  dialed in on the drum? 

How did the wenge behave? Every time I've ever tried to bend wenge, it simply splinters and cracks.

I cut the strips on the bandsaw and dialed them in on the drumsander. I had no issues with the wenge, it cut quite easily and bent really well.

Impressive setup there, Shane!

Why is the upper half of the template covered with some red thingy and the lower half isn't? Is it relevant?

Both parts are covered in tape. I ran out of the clear packing tape so i used some tuck tape for the rest.

The upper part of the form is taped, wondering why the lower is not as well.

Both are, you just can't see the clear packing tape very well in the pictures.

Wenge is definitely super brittle and splintery, but the way it's sandwiched between the other layers means that the fibers will be supported and less likely to splinter apart...and you wouldn't see it anyway if it did.  If you try to bend a piece of wenge on its own I could see that being a problem.

Looks good Shane.

• Like 1

Wenge is definitely super brittle and splintery, but the way it's sandwiched between the other layers means that the fibers will be supported and less likely to splinter apart...and you wouldn't see it anyway if it did.  If you try to bend a piece of wenge on its own I could see that being a problem.

Looks good Shane.

yeah and his wenge is QS.  it is probably still splintery, but in my experience the cathedral grain of wenge is really what flakes apart and gets in your skin.  

Ya I think the qs helped. It was spintery for sure but it bent really well. I tried a piece in the form by hand before i sandwiched it all together because I was curious.