Close enough

collinb

23 hours ago, TIODS said:

That's because today they teach you how to take a test and run to an electronic device to solve a problem rather than teach you the actual information you need to solve the problem on your own.  Our education system sucks!

Couldn't be more true.  I'm a prime example.  In HS (the 90's) I flew through math classes and went all the way to calculus my senior year.  I breezed through it and for the most part it was even fun.  Now, or even 5 years after graduation, much lower level math like algebra or geometry is just a vague memory...like a language I used to know, but don't know any longer.  I was taught to take tests, not use math.

Except for my classroom...?

Carus, I'll have to admit, the problems we saw were certainly no fault of the teachers. Large classroom populations and oddities of the system made it hard for them to monitor the kids and keep them in line. Add that my boy didn't get the attention / direction he needed, because most of the special ed class consisted of students with much lower functional abilites and intense medical needs.

11 minutes ago, Eric. said:

There's a lot I'd like to say here that I won't say, in light of the no politics rule.  I'll leave it at this...

PARENTS are the big problem in this country, not teachers.

You're right as far as it goes, and you're also right that a larger part of the problem is the Liberal politics that have taken over nearly every campus!  Nuff said about politics!

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

There's a lot I'd like to say here that I won't say, in light of the no politics rule.  I'll leave it at this...

I can agree somewhat with this statement.  Fact is that most households need the dual income so, children don't get the parenting that they should.  There are also many parents out there who use a video screen to entertain their children so they don't have to be bothered.  There should be a test for having children too! ;)

As for the schools, I stick my my original comment.  They teach kids to take a test so that they look like they're doing well and can get more federal money.  They no longer teach actual subject matter and challenge kids to think!  Much of it makes me sick!  Common core and rewriting the history books to fit political agendas and don't forget the school lunch program ;)

Hats off to all for keeping politics out of this thread!  It would have been easy to put it in.  Keep it classy! ;)

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Carus, you're a teacher? I thought you were in construction?

Until they balance my calendar, I do both. One was how I provided while I finished my certification. Now it provides for family vacations, hobbies, etc. It also provides a tremendous release. 

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Carus, I'll have to admit, the problems we saw were certainly no fault of the teachers. Large classroom populations and oddities of the system made it hard for them to monitor the kids and keep them in line. Add that my boy didn't get the attention / direction he needed, because most of the special ed class consisted of students with much lower functional abilites and intense medical needs.

Spec Ed is its own world. Brain and behavioral research is still rapidly changing how we operate. I just happen to be in a discipline where some who struggle in other ways can shine in my room. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eric. said:

My daughter is a teacher.  She had to contact a parent because of constant problems with the student.  On the phone she was told by the parent that she wasn't going to come in to talk about the problem because the kid was my daughter's problem while they were at school not hers.

If my parents ever got called by my schools, I wouldn't be here today writing this.

• Like 2

So much depends on the local culture & work ethic, the school board and administration, and the educational philosophy at play.  In some environments the bad teachers get weeded out; in others the survive like bureaucratic rats. (The good teachers know who they are.)  But the good teachers are stuck.  They're stuck with a faulty educational philosophy that is politicized and bureaucratized. They're stuck with school boards at times acting like croneys for the union and/or the admins. They're stuck with whining parents and children. Every system has different major problems but most suffer from one or more of these.  And others, of course.

It's a rats nest of problems for which there is no simple solution. There are steps but they are difficult steps and a hard road to walk. Few have the desire address the issues systematically; even fewer have the capacity to actually see changes made.