Router Choices

BobInAustin

Couple of projects I have in the queue make me want a new router.  I will be making a couple of cabinet doors so I want variable speed for the those big bits.  Also I would like to mount it under my table so I need some type of lift mechanism built in or something that is compatible with a lift kit like a Jessem.  I was leaning towards the Triton but am reading some common complaints about the lift accuracy/stability/function over time.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome. I have a PC now that will likely become my handheld router while this new one lives under the table.

I have this in my table -

http://www.cpoworkshop.com/porter-cable-7518-speedmatic-3-1-4-peak-hp-five-speed-router/pcbn7518,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=porter-cable-routers 

I went with this one as it can pretty well recommended form this forum.  It doesn't have a built in lift but it is a beast, its in an Incra lift.  I think a lift kit is the way to go if you can.  Incra has some nice ones, I think they are manufactured by Jessem.

You can't go wrong with a PC7518 in a lift . It has plenty of power and multi speed ( you run big bits slower ! ) I have had one in my shop for quite a few years and it has served me well.

Richards Bosch 1617 is capable but I wouldn't get anything smaller or cheaper.   I have a Bosch plunge router and it has held up well for me.

I've been running the same Milwaukee 5626 in the table since 2006.  I used it for quite awhile with just the built in above the table controls.  As mentioned . . . it is a locomotive. 

It has continuously variable speed from 10k to 22k RPM, soft start, a double wrench collet on an arbor with a very deep throat (you would be hard pressed to ever bottom out a bit).
The handles come off with just a couple of screws and the motor doesn't drop out when you unlock it (I hate surprises in the shop). I have since put this original motor in a lift.

RT-DRO(9).jpg

routers.jpg

I have another one on a large plate for times when I need that kind of power in my hands.  I have a tribe of the 5615 and 5616's as well.  The motors and bases are interchangeable so it gives me a lot of variety in setups without having to have a lot of routers.

I've owned others but, with the exception of my Bosch Colt they have all found there way down the road or to the junk pile.  The Milwaukee's just keep going, and going, and . . . .

• Like 1

I'm running the Triton in a router table, the lift mechanism does not work properly. It works til point, but then it just stops coming up - and it's well short of the height you need to change the bit. So you have to pull it up, push the button in (after lowering the lift thing cause the button won't engage when it's up that high) then bring it down all the way, then push the button back in, then drop back in the table. I contacted them and they said to check it for sawdust clogging (since it did it from day 1 I doubt this is it) and to send it back if necessary to get repaired. I haven't sent back yet. But the whole thing is discouraging.

I also have the Bosch 1617 that I just bought a couple of weeks ago for hand routing. It's nice. I like it a lot so far. 

7 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I'm running the Triton in a router table, the lift mechanism does not work properly. It works til point, but then it just stops coming up - and it's well short of the height you need to change the bit. So you have to pull it up, push the button in (after lowering the lift thing cause the button won't engage when it's up that high) then bring it down all the way, then push the button back in, then drop back in the table. I contacted them and they said to check it for sawdust clogging (since it did it from day 1 I doubt this is it) and to send it back if necessary to get repaired. I haven't sent back yet. But the whole thing is discouraging.

I also have the Bosch 1617 that I just bought a couple of weeks ago for hand routing. It's nice. I like it a lot so far. 

@Cliff Forgive me if this is dumb.  Do you have the switch in the "off" position before you try to raise the carriage?  There is a safety mechanism on Tritons that prevents the carriage from coming high enough to engage the automatic arbor lock if the switch is in the "on" position.

4 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

@Cliff Forgive me if this is dumb.  Do you have the switch in the "off" position before you try to raise the carriage?  There is a safety mechanism on Tritons that prevents the carriage from coming high enough to engage the automatic arbor lock if the switch is in the "on" position.

That sounds lame since a router mounted in a table will have the switch on,  all the time. .

6 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I do have it off. I hate that feature of the router. But I read about people doing that by accident many times so I always double check it. 

1 minute ago, Brendon_t said:

That sounds lame since a router mounted in a table will have the switch on,  all the time. .

No kidding! Especially since it seems to be designed for a router table. It's easy enough to shut it off, but still stupid.

I have a Triton TRA001 table mounted and I like it. The height adjustment can get fussy but that is just a matter of cleaning out the sawdust to allow the gearing to work properly.  When you mount it, play around with the positioning so that the lock, height adjustment and switch are all easy to reach.  It does not bother me at all to open the door and reach under to lock it or flip the switch off to change bits.  I really like the automatic arbor lock for changing bits.

A great source of customer support, parts and even sales for Triton and other brands of routers is Larry Rhodes at Market Hardware in North Carolina, 828-317-1669.

Take a look at the Incra version of the Jessem.  I beleive its the same system except the Incra has the magna lock system. Which is their own design of the insert rings that attaches via magnets and is tool less.  They also have slots in them to allow for the dust to be sucked down (assuming you have under the router dc) when doing trapped cuts like dadoes, sliding dovetails, etc. 

I currently have have the woodpecker prl2 and like it but when/if I ever upgrade I think I will get an Incra model.  They also make a woodpecker prl version. 

I have one big Triton, and five 7518's.  The 7518 is my first choice for an upside down router.  I've been thinking about seeing how far I can throw the Triton.  The one I reach for when I need to change a bit is some mid-size Milwaukee.  I've not run one of the big Milwaukee's, but I'm sure it's a good one.  I'll just stick with what works so good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

I have one big Triton, and five 7518's.  The 7518 is my first choice for an upside down router.  I've been thinking about seeing how far I can throw the Triton.  The one I reach for when I need to change a bit is some mid-size Milwaukee.  I've not run one of the big Milwaukee's, but I'm sure it's a good one.  I'll just stick with what works so good.

What's got you upset on your Triton?

Never been that smooth. Through table auto shaft lock stopped working, after working fine a few times.  Hard to do minute height changes-actually easier with just the simple screw mechanism on a 7518.  Something else, but I've forgotten.  It was given to me, so I shouldn't complain, but I never use it after stocking up on reburbed 7518's from CPO to do what I needed to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...