Burning the Handtool Cabinet


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the bench.. To keep it honest, I can't take credit for the build.  A good friend of mine built it in exchange for most of the hand-me-down tools that have left my shop and been replaced.  

Hi, I'm Larry and this is my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell.

Yep, tossed it right on the fire!   Fact is that it was too big and still I out grew it.  My bench will be back in the shop in a couple weeks which is where the planes will live and everything el

A beautiful as Studley's tool cabinet is it does not look very practical to me.  Neatly arranged on the wall is much more sensible to me. However I can understand a folding arrangement in a very restricted space. But Kev has room and if you can see it you can grab it quicker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Looks good. All Walnut? Router plane "holster" your own design?

Thanks!  Yes, scrap chunks left over from various projects.  I did design the router plane holster but, I'd be surprised if someone else didn't do it before me.  I really like the way it works.

7 minutes ago, Cliff said:

That's kind of what i'm doing as well, but much much more ghetto. Like.. Oh here is some leftover cedar and some pine, etc. Hoping to move towards this though. Looks great!

In reality, this is kind of "ghetto"..  Yes, I used nice material for the individual pieces but, they were left over scraps from various other projects.

23 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

A beautiful as Studley's tool cabinet is it does not look very practical to me.  Neatly arranged on the wall is much more sensible to me. However I can understand a folding arrangement in a very restricted space. But Kev has room and if you can see it you can grab it quicker.

Spot on Steve!  I'm sure I'll fight a little more dust but, ease of use will make up for that.

7 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Nice and clean Kev, looks good!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Shane!

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, John Page said:

I'm envious of that wall space! And shop space, for that matter... For the foreseeable future it's working on the counter out of boxes trying not to go insane :rolleyes:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt..  Keep plugging away, you'll get there.

15 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Well done Kev. And I see you guys have spring like temps as well.

Was a bit cooler today actually, the pellet stove is on a thermostat ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks awesome!  Like this much more than my current "small pegboard on wall plus shelf under bench plus any flat surface not being used"... I need to set something up like you have - I am always needing to move stuff out of the way it seems.  Nice to have all organized on the wall where easy to see and grab what you need.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very cool, and as always well thought out.  The reasons you burned your cabinet are the same reasons I haven't built one.  Now I have get off my butt and clear some wall space...  Are you remaking the drawers for your bench?  I haven't figured out how I want to organize my planes, I just know that having them scattered around the shop isn't working. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good TIODS.  Can you give us some closer shots of the tool holders?  I used to keep my tools stored by type.  I have since become much happier storing tools near where they are used (but still sort of grouped together . . . more like an 'inter-species herd' and less like a 'flock of birds'. Shop made holders help in this quest ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

That is very cool, and as always well thought out.  The reasons you burned your cabinet are the same reasons I haven't built one.  Now I have get off my butt and clear some wall space...  Are you remaking the drawers for your bench?  I haven't figured out how I want to organize my planes, I just know that having them scattered around the shop isn't working. 

Yes, the bench will have 2 drawers that are big enough to accommodate the LN #7.  I'm hoping to have the bench back in the shop in the next couple weeks.

17 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Looking good TIODS.  Can you give us some closer shots of the tool holders?  I used to keep my tools stored by type.  I have since become much happier storing tools near where they are used (but still sort of grouped together . . . more like an 'inter-species herd' and less like a 'flock of birds'. Shop made holders help in this quest ;-)

Absolutely..  I'll grab some closer shots of that stuff today and get em posted for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Llama said:

Wouldn't that be auto-orgo? 

No, self inflicted is accurate..

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Did you burn your planes, too? :unsure:

Orgo-Man strikes again!  Self-inflicted orgo! LOL :D

No, they will be in the drawers on my bench.

Here's some closer shots of the ones that might be a little different..

piApK6.jpg

wf21vj.jpg

EclJYa.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I dig the router plane holder!  Nice fit!

Thanks!  Just seemed like a good solution.  It's such an odd shape to store.

To make it, I used a thin (1/2 I think) piece and cut the shape of the router plane out then laminated a face plate over it..  Little sanding and finish and it was good enough for who it was for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shaneymack said:

Kev, what is the tool on the right of the card scrapers?

It's the currently in use LN rabbit block plane..  Forgot to toss it up there for the pic..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.