What is up with all this "Reclaimed Wood" going around?

Although we make fun of this stuff, if it is used in a well-designed room, it actually could look pretty decent. 

It couldn't really be any worse than some of the stuff I have seen where people just nail old boards to the wall and call it good. 

To tell you how bad one potential job was, the people had some old corral boards and wanted me to make an accent wall with them. I asked about what how they wanted to treat the surface, they did not want to do anything because they liked the way it looked, maybe just seal it to preserve the look. 

I pointed out that it had cow manure on it. Yes, that is why they wanted to seal it, that would 'lock it in' and make it easy to clean. 

At that point I was done looking at the job. 

• Like 1

There is one major upside to this fad for the rustic look in furniture. The more people use reclaimed lumber and milk paint on "popular", the more solid maple and walnut there is for us to build with.

My disagreement with reclaimed lumber is that it isn't always stable and it is a real bear to clean once you have it in your top-end "rustic" million dollar home. I personally like the barn-wood look, but I wouldn't want much of it in my house if I actually had a choice. It's old, dusty, dirty, and full of splinters. Since when is that a good thing?

13 minutes ago, toddclippinger said:

To tell you how bad one potential job was, the people had some old corral boards and wanted me to make an accent wall with them. I asked about what how they wanted to treat the surface, they did not want to do anything because they liked the way it looked, maybe just seal it to preserve the look. 

I pointed out that it had cow manure on it. Yes, that is why they wanted to seal it, that would 'lock it in' and make it easy to clean. 

At that point I was done looking at the job. 

Last spring I made an outdoor planter box out of some corral boards I scavenged out of the creek. The planter is the size and shape of a horse watering trough and looks quite nice with tall grass growing up around it and flowers spilling out over the sides.

One of the boards was shot by some buckshot, and I think it gives it character.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, davewyo said:

There is one major upside to this fad for the rustic look in furniture. The more people use reclaimed lumber and milk paint on "popular", the more solid maple and walnut there is for us to build with.

My disagreement with reclaimed lumber is that it isn't always stable and it is a real bear to clean once you have it in your top-end "rustic" million dollar home. I personally like the barn-wood look, but I wouldn't want much of it in my house if I actually had a choice. It's old, dusty, dirty, and full of splinters. Since when is that a good thing?

Last spring I made an outdoor planter box out of some corral boards I scavenged out of the creek. The planter is the size and shape of a horse watering trough and looks quite nice with tall grass growing up around it and flowers spilling out over the sides.

One of the boards was shot by some buckshot, and I think it gives it character.

The planter sounds cool. 

I have noted the same issue with stability. I believe there is a misconception about the material being stable since it is so old. Even the material that I have used salvaged from the interior of buildings still moves. 

Good point on the increased supply of maple and walnut;)

• Like 1

It all depends on the use. I made a head board from some old weathered barn wood. I wouldn't fill my house with it but this wood was actually reclaimed from a barn on some family land up in ND and has a familial connection. I'm pretty much always against pallet wood projects but I don't have anything against using rustic wood on principle or anything.

Besides if it gets someone interested in the craft and allows them to make something and graduate to nicer work who cares?

• Like 1

On 5/11/2016 at 0:41 AM, Brendon_t said:

I saw it guy use twine in a recent build..?

The price of fame. I guess.B)

Yes, HGTV & other TV shows have driven up prices to the point of stupid. I can't go to an auction any longer and see a good price on a nice old bicycle. They used to go for $5-$10. Now they go for $50-$150 (per American Pickers).  Even TOH got into the act when Tommy built a flag using nice pieces from a yard that used them as spacers under stacks, iirc.  He got them free.

Predictions:
The "reclaimed" fad will pass in a few years. About the time I'm retired and hopefully have some skills well-developed I hope to make some things out of "real" wood to sell for all the home remodeling that *will* be going on -- to get rid of that (to be designated as) dated, ugly stuff in favor of the clean look.

My personal prediction is that the flush-surface Danish look will gain favor. It's popular now in some circles but also seems a predictable reaction to the harsh edges of reclaimed, pallet, and even the Shaker style.

A buddy of mine is also the local reclaimed lumber dealer. He gave me a heads-up a couple months ago before he harvested this Montana homestead for the material, and I was able to go out and do a photo shoot of it. 

The rancher was going to doze it in and burn it. At least by reclaiming, the material is reused and gets a second life. 

The whole cabin was sold before it was even harvested. 

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

• Like 2