SuperMax Stand

..Kev

Just now, TIODS said:

Yup..  It comes with a stand but, I found the stand to be a little too low for my liking.  I also needed some storage for table saw accessories and some other stuff so, just made sense for me.

On that note..  Big thanks @Llama who dug up some measurements for me!

Cool! I wish my General drum sander was that way it takes up a pretty good chunk of real estate.

1 minute ago, pkinneb said:

Cool! I wish my General drum sander was that way it takes up a pretty good chunk of real estate.

My old Grizz would have required some changes as well!

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Darn, I go out of town for 24 hrs. And come back to find it finished and a name for most of the drawers. Great looking. I went out Sat. Morn. between rain storms and bought 4 sheets of ply ( 2 ea. 3/4", 1 ea. 1/4" and 1 ea. bb, 5x5) and knocked out most of the case by Sat. evening. You're right, this is one heavy mother! I catch up with Ya in about 3 weeks ?! 

Let's see the journal Coop!  

I'm glad this sparked some ideas for others!  Makes my day to see you guys get some use out of my ramblings! 

29 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I've mentioned it a few times in shop organization posts..  It's just pink insulation.  Trace the tool you want to inlay, use a small router bit to route out the shape, paint a color of your choice unless you like pink.  I think I've done most of my shop on about 10 bucks.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Hah, my projects play 3rd and 4th fiddle, so no journal on this one but I do appreciate seeing what it's supposed to look like from yours. Thanks again for the inspiration!

Coop..  Buddy...  You can't do anything short of scrap coasters that would play second fiddle to that!  Butt joints, glue, and screws..  Toss it up so others can see the changes you made for your shop!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Dado drawer could have been much thinner, but hindsights always 20/20.

Great results !

Indeed it could have.  The other drawers are pretty deep at 8" so, just used the remaining space for that drawer.  

It is a little deep as is but, was too shallow to get 2 drawers out of it.

Thats a nice set up for the sheet sand paper.

Other then the drawer for the Tenoning jig were any of the drawers designed depth or width wise for a specific purpose?  I am wondering because I have done that on a few pieces of shop furniture and find it an interesting challenge to make it all work out to were all drawers are useful. 

2 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Thats a nice set up for the sheet sand paper.

Other then the drawer for the Tenoning jig were any of the drawers designed depth or width wise for a specific purpose?  I am wondering because I have done that on a few pieces of shop furniture and find it an interesting challenge to make it all work out to were all drawers are useful. 

I pretty much just wanted fairly deep drawers (around 8") and what ever was left became the top drawer.  That's why the drawer with the dado stack in it is a little deeper than it needs to be.

In hindsight, I probably should have figured out what all I wanted in it and then spent a little more time on design.  To be honest, I ended up with more storage than I realized so, it's turned out to be a happy accident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

That came out great.  You are going to love having that storage.  No wheels?  I'm jealous ;-)

No need to be on wheels.  I have plenty of infeed and outfeed room so, just no need for it to be on the move.

Thanks for the kind words.

42 minutes ago, midtnwoodworker said:

That looks awesome! That is going to be a much better stand than the typical supermax stand.

You have that right..I dont need a sander stand but I could find something to go on this one. I dont care for steel stands myself..I like the fact that its not overbuilt with dovetails and all that stuff and it will last just fine..I mean its a shop..Great work Tiods.

• Like 1

A little more done this morning.  Moved all my FT paper over.  Just made sense as the other sanding supplies are in the drawer below this one.  I like to use the FT boxes and just remove the lids.  Lots of room here to add more if needed.

9CZDV4.jpg

Not a huge jump to go from sanding to power carving so, I also moved that equipment into a drawer.  I'll probably inlay this drawer later today.  Will have to work on the layout a bit as it's pretty crowded in there.   

K3k78r.jpg

• Like 2

I don't have those tools so it is hard for me to judge the size but in the inlay would it be possible to store the guards, I think, (the two items to the right of the Milwaukee tool) on edge to get more room?  Also the extra handle, is the drawer deep enough to store up right in the inlay?

4 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

I don't have those tools so it is hard for me to judge the size but in the inlay would it be possible to store the guards, I think, (the two items to the right of the Milwaukee tool) on edge to get more room?  Also the extra handle, is the drawer deep enough to store up right in the inlay?

I think the guards will actually stack in the drawer and the handle won't stand.  I have some other rotary cutters that I want to store there as well.  I'll get the foam cut to fit the drawer and then put it on the bench to really get a good look at the layout.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Looking good Kev ! You have a 5" and 6" Festool sander? 

Seeing all this organising is making me want to make a few changes in my shop. 

Yes..  I bought the small sander (ETS 125) first to replace the old ROS.  Then I bought the RO150 and the ETS 150/5 later so, have the need for the 2 different sized paper.  Perhaps once the stash of paper is gone I'll toss the 125 up for sale but, it's  still a great sander!

1 hour ago, midtnwoodworker said:

This site is pretty bad if you are not content with your current setup/tools. It is easy to spend money after seeing some of the things people do on here.

Certainly not the first time somebody's had that comment..  I'm probably a bit OCD with organization but, I sure notice an improvement in my work flow with good organization.

• Like 1

Certainly not the first time somebody's had that comment..  I'm probably a bit OCD with organization but, I sure notice an improvement in my work flow with good organization.

I agree completely. When you are organized and your space is kept clean, it's easier to be productive.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1