Hijack!

Llama

11 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

....but I have this feeling that at the rate I get to work I'm only going to fill up the vac every few weeks...

Every few weeks?  I've had a CT and UDD for a few years and I think I've emptied it twice.

I could eat tacos and pad thai every day for the rest of my life and be perfectly content.

• Like 1

Someone a while ago mentioned that they wished that Lee Valle had a rating system on their website. I totally agree there are some products that I'm finding that could be awesome but i want to read a review before i buy it. Slightly jealous that your going to a store in person it would help some of that uncertainty. Also viewing prices in Canadian Dollars would make it easier to not buy things.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I put the most random of random stuff in a bin labelled "miscellaneous stainless fittings."  He looked over my shoulder and said "there is no uglier word in the english language than miscellaneous.  Everything has a place."

Everything does have a place... When I started my current job there were several bins labeled "assorted fixture pins". I spent the next week or so measuring, cataloging and sorting them into like groups into the bins. I think I added two bins... When I was done, I labeled the rack they stay on as "sorted pins". It got a few groans, but the point was made.

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

I will be back in canutia tomorrow.  What should I buy from Lee Valley?

Since you're on a tree-planting and gardening kick, maybe one of these or the whole set...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/page.aspx?p=58924&cat=2,42706,40718&ap=1

Japanese Pruning Tools - Gardening

I have the small shears and they're great for pruning younger trees and shrubs.  You need something bigger for branch removal but if you just need to nip off a few twigs and leaves here and there, they're perfect.  I'd like to get the whole set eventually but I'm feeling a bit broke at the moment.

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Every few weeks?  I've had a CT and UDD for a few years and I think I've emptied it twice.

I could eat tacos and pad thai every day for the rest of my life and be perfectly content.

I meant how often would I fill it if I didn't buy the UDD.

Someone a while ago mentioned that they wished that Lee Valle had a rating system on their website. I totally agree there are some products that I'm finding that could be awesome but i want to read a review before i buy it. Slightly jealous that your going to a store in person it would help some of that uncertainty. Also viewing prices in Canadian Dollars would make it easier to not buy things.

Totally agree, had this exact thought earlier this week when trying to decide what was worth buying from Lee valley vs grabbing something cheap off amzn. Decided I should buy the expensive twine from LV and go cheap on the hand plane.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I haven't filled my CT26 in a single day, rarely in a single week. Don't have the UDD, don't think I need one. We dump out and reuse the bags several times. The bag does act as a pre-filter for the HEPA so when the bag starts looking kinda dirty we use a new one. Bags aren't that expensive for me to justify the UDD.

Has any one thought about the new ct-sys with the UDD? Just thinking that it'd take up less space than a CT-26 or 36. It would have less suction but still seems like it would still have more then enough for sanding or a domino. Suppose then it's not mobile but for those in set up shop environment the space savings might be worth it?

I will be back in canutia tomorrow.  What should I buy from Lee Valley? I have a couple gardening tools on the list.  Also thinking about a shooting plane. 

Speaking of Lee Valley, it always struck me that they must be run by engineers, rather than marketing or business people.  That is a good thing as far as the tools are concerned.  But engineers have this habit of being idiosyncratic with the way they categorize things.  If you don't speak their particular brand of OCD, they just assume you are an idiot.  Case in point, apparently "digging tools" and "shovels" are two different things.  Don't go clicking the "digging tools" link hoping to find a shovel.  You will find a bunch of things that move dirt, but none of them shovels.  

When I was in college I worked in the shop for a large construction company.  The president was a mechanical engineer.   One day I was sorting out a bunch of random pipe fittings that came back from a job.   I put the most random of random stuff in a bin labelled "miscellaneous stainless fittings."  He looked over my shoulder and said "there is no uglier word in the english language than miscellaneous.  Everything has a place."

So back to Lee Valley, "Digging Tools" must be a more precise label for "miscellanous tools that move dirt, but not shovels"

engineers.JPG

I got the shooting plane for fathers day. Arrived damaged, waiting for a call back =(

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Has any one thought about the new ct-sys with the UDD? Just thinking that it'd take up less space than a CT-26 or 36. It would have less suction but still seems like it would still have more then enough for sanding or a domino. Suppose then it's not mobile but for those in set up shop environment the space savings might be worth it?

No adjustable suction. Not ideal.

8 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I got the shooting plane for fathers day. Arrived damaged, waiting for a call back =(

No adjustable suction. Not ideal.

Ahhhh didn't know that. Seemed too good to be true.

That sucks about the shooting plane i was excited to hear your review of it. You mentioned shooting for miters in my other thread and it's been something I've been interested in for a while. I wanted to know your opinion on the shooting plane see if it'd fit in my hand plane arsenal.

Ahhhh didn't know that. Seemed too good to be true.

That sucks about the shooting plane i was excited to hear your review of it. You mentioned shooting for miters in my other thread and it's been something I've been interested in for a while. I wanted to know your opinion on the shooting plane see if it'd fit in my hand plane arsenal.

Since they weren't returning my call I just called them back. New plane will be here this week. Its a beautiful hefty plane and im really excited to give her a go. It looks as though someone dropped it. The tip of the sole is dented.

34dbec9b572adc1c1fc09b72c09ef71d.jpg

43 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Since they weren't returning my call I just called them back. New plane will be here this week. Its a beautiful hefty plane and im really excited to give her a go. It looks as though someone dropped it. The tip of the sole is dented.

34dbec9b572adc1c1fc09b72c09ef71d.jpg

I expect a detailed report on my desk when i get back from vacation on July 5th :D. I'm assuming they want the damaged one back?

I expect a detailed report on my desk when i get back from vacation on July 5th . I'm assuming they want the damaged one back?

Yeah. They send the new one and I drop the damaged one in the box and send it back. Great service, no questions asked

Just now, shaneymack said:

Yeah. They send the new one and I drop the damaged one in the box and send it back. Great service, no questions asked

If i wasn't saving for a domino 500 I'd have my spoke shaves and router plane from them. I was just cursing myself on that picture frame build for not having something to clean up the rabbets.