Hijack!

Llama

If i wasn't saving for a domino 500 I'd have my spoke shaves and router plane from them. I was just cursing myself on that picture frame build for not having something to clean up the rabbets.

Really? The rabbets were very inconsistent? What did you cut them with? Id say get a plane you can shoot with before spoke shaves and a router plane. I use my shooting board 79.2 times more than my spokeshave and router plane combined.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well the spoke shaves are back a ways on the list but still there. I have a #5 but the sole isn't perpendicular to the side i suppose i still could shoot with it I'd just have to account and swap ups and downs when shooting.

I normally do rabbets with the router table and those work out perfect 99% of the time. This time i did them with the table saw because the stock was too long for the router table setup. I ended up having to remove some high points free hand with my favorite sharp chisel. The high points were probably from me moving my hands. Technique to keep in mind it was my first time doing a rabbet that way.

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Since you're on a tree-planting and gardening kick, maybe one of these or the whole set...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/page.aspx?p=58924&cat=2,42706,40718&ap=1

Japanese Pruning Tools - Gardening

I have the small shears and they're great for pruning younger trees and shrubs.  You need something bigger for branch removal but if you just need to nip off a few twigs and leaves here and there, they're perfect.  I'd like to get the whole set eventually but I'm feeling a bit broke at the moment.

The 5th piece could be a severe storm when you need to nip off the whole tree and move it into the bedroom.

I meant how often would I fill it if I didn't buy the UDD.

I don't think the UDD holds significantly more dust than the CT itself. My point was that if you only use the CT to collect from handheld tools (like you should) and don't hook it up to big machines (like you shouldn't), then it will take months to fill it up. Unless you're a pro and you're running tools day in, day out, it's not even a factor IMO. I bought the UDD simply because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with bags and filters. Plus it's better for the CT...in theory.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I have a #5 but the sole isn't perpendicular to the side i suppose i still could shoot with it I'd just have to account and swap ups and downs when shooting.

Why don't you flatten the sole?  I mean it may take some time, but well worth it to make sure it is working right and true.  Start with 150 grit, 250 grit and 500 grit.  

• Like 1

Just now, Woodenskye said:

Why don't you flatten the sole?  I mean it may take some time, but well worth it to make sure it is working right and true.  Start with 150 grit, 250 grit and 500 grit.  

The sole is flat it's just not perpendicular. I guess i never thought about it. With miter work and end grain work something bevel up would be better any way. I remember reading about Derek from Perth making a board for his Jack rabbet to rid on and using that to shoot and it'd solve 3 of my problems ... just seems too good to be true and would take a lot of fussing to work right.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

The sole is flat it's just not perpendicular. I guess i never thought about it. With miter work and end grain work something bevel up would be better any way. I remember reading about Derek from Perth making a board for his Jack rabbet to rid on and using that to shoot and it'd solve 3 of my problems ... just seems too good to be true and would take a lot of fussing to work right.

You should also be able to do the same to the sides to make perpendicular to the sole.

Really? The rabbets were very inconsistent? What did you cut them with? Id say get a plane you can shoot with before spoke shaves and a router plane. I use my shooting board 79.2 times more than my spokeshave and router plane combined.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That's a very specific number... Care to tell us how you collected the data for this? ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

it will take months to fill it up. Unless you're a pro and you're running tools day in, day out, it's not even a factor

This is what I was trying to figure out...if it does take months, then the cost of bags is basically nothing...alternatively if I don't get a UDD I'm guessing I will still only go thru like a bag a month, which is not very expensive either, might not be enough to justify the cost of the UDD given how little dust I will create in the next year or so given my busy schedule.

3 hours ago, mat60 said:

Its hot....I got the air on and waiting to see cold nips.

I was just in my garage trying something out with some System 3 epoxy. I normally have about 10-15 minutes or so before the epoxy starts to set in the mixing cup.  Today, the garage thermometer reads 100 degrees, and the epoxy set in less than 2 minutes. :blink:

8 minutes ago, nerdbot said:

I was just in my garage trying something out with some System 3 epoxy. I normally have about 10-15 minutes or so before the epoxy starts to set in the mixing cup.  Today, the garage thermometer reads 100 degrees, and the epoxy set in less than 2 minutes. :blink:

Get it out of the cup right after mixing and spread it into a thin layer on a flat surface, that will keep it from setting as quickly. Keeping it in the cup traps more heat which drives the reaction faster. Exposing more surface area will buy you time.

• Like 2

Best/worst day of the year. It's the longest and I didn't have to work today, so got to enjoy the daylight. Unfortunately, the days start getting shorter tomorrow. 

Am I the only one that sometimes fails to lock the fence on the ts before ripping?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

A shovel is like a big spoon for moving loose earth. That is not "digging". A spade is also like a big spoon, but with less curvature, and IS for digging, i.e. breaking soil. Landscaper OJT 101. Don't ask.

So is my lab a shovel, a spade or a little of both?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Best/worst day of the year. It's the longest and I didn't have to work today, so got to enjoy the daylight. Unfortunately, the days start getting shorter tomorrow. 

Am I the only one that sometimes fails to lock the fence on the ts before ripping?

Probably!