Hijack!

Llama

2 minutes ago, Llama said:

Game of Thrones - no damn spoilers. I'm a few episodes behind.

You'll want to fix that. You know how the trolls are towards the end of a season.

Me, I read the spoilers beforehand on most things. I find that it doesn't affect whether or not I will like something. 

15 hours ago, Mike. said:

i like that cradenza.  So much mid century inspired stuff is poorly made crap.  That piece looks nice. 

Mel I have tried the bose noise cancelling headphones.  For some reason I am not a fan.  My ears feel tired after wearing them.  I think they work by emitting a high frequency thay cancels out typical ambient noises.    I don't know. But my standard Grado headphones do a good enough job of dampening the noises emitting from dumb people :) 

Mike, would the Grado work at the shooting range as well?

3 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I just can't stand Denarys Targarien. I can only hope she's dead by the end of this season. But that won't happen, I know.

It's been awhile since I've read the books, so I can't be sure, but I recall thinking she's a lot whinier in the show.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Immortan D said:

You serious? Blue cheese's a bit hard to match with other than nuts, almonds, celery and maybe some yoghurt.

Blue cheese goes well with lots of fruits, but pears probably the best. Try it. You'll like it.

15 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Goat cheese, ripe strawberries and really expensive balsamic vinegar are a great combo so who knows what combos work.

That's one I've gotta try.

Good balsamic vinegar on vanilla ice cream!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Is a Fine Wood Working subscription worth $35?

It is to me. I find they have a lot of projects that even if I don't build have great teachings for me. I also enjoy the masterful works displayed in each issue very motivating for me.

10 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Is a Fine Wood Working subscription worth $35?

no. 

Not for me anyway... I have enough magazines collecting dust to fill a small library. In fact, I just tossed out a bunch of old magazines. Some guitar stuff, mustang stuff and even some wood working ones. Moving really helps one focus on paring down the crap. I find my inspiration by looking at what people do here and on the interwebs. 

I was looking at it for the digital bits honestly BUT you can get both for $35 a year and was tempted by that. All in all I should do it because i have a lot to learn about wood working right now but i wonder if a couple guild projects wouldn't be better fit. My issue is always time.

23 minutes ago, Llama said:

Moving really helps one focus on paring down the crap.

Oh yeah :D. I threw out so much stuff when I moved here it was quite liberating.

I couldn't bring myself to burn my remaining walnut boards though, so I stashed them in the attic - I hope the tenants don't find them and do anything silly with them.

10 minutes ago, h3nry said:

Oh yeah :D. I threw out so much stuff when I moved here it was quite liberating.

I couldn't bring myself to burn my remaining walnut boards though, so I stashed them in the attic - I hope the tenants don't find them and do anything silly with them.

<knock knock knock> "hello would you care for a free attic inspection?" ... "I found some old wood up there I'll just dispose of that for you for free, everything else looks good"

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

I think it depends on how you learn.  Personally I don't have the patience to go step by step with a video.  I am a fast reader so prefer written content.  I also comprehend written words better than spoken words.   Tell me your name and I will forget it in 5 minutes.  Hand me a business card and I can memorize the image.  Just the way my mind works.     Furthermore, I'd rather cut a joint wrong 6 times but figure it out myself.   I really don't like hand holding.  My dad literally taught me to swim by throwing me in a lake. He wouldn't let me have training wheels on my bike. Its the way i was raised, I guess.

All that being said, I think FWW and the guild fill two different needs.  I use FWW for design idea and tips on specific techniques.  The guild is better for step by step instruction. 

I never thought about that with the guild, is everything videos? I prefer text, not to say i can't learn from videos but there are some things that need multiple reviews and some information i skip. Thanks for the good advice, I have things to think about ... work is being incredibly boring.

Had some very good tacos for lunch! Place called Cermak. It is actually a mexican grocery store, and they have everything you could want. There is a guy behind a counter making burritos and tacos as well as other freshly constructed items. Very good! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Llama said:

Had some very good tacos for lunch! Place called Cermak. It is actually a mexican grocery store, and they have everything you could want. There is a guy behind a counter making burritos and tacos as well as other freshly constructed items. Very good! 

While the kids are with the wife in Wyoming, we may need to schedule a taco intervention for Mel real soon!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

While the kids are with the wife in Wyoming, we may need to schedule a taco intervention for Mel real soon!

Last night I ordered a calzone. :)

Tomorrow night, going to an open jam and getting some beers and a burger. I don't need an intervention :) 

1 hour ago, Llama said:

Last night I ordered a calzone. :)

Tomorrow night, going to an open jam and getting some beers and a burger. I don't need an intervention :) 

Glad to see you are changing things up, but if you have tacos on Friday, this intervention will happen my friend.  

• Like 1