Hijack!

Llama

I've been a fan of Linux since my first download of Slackware (50 floppy disks!) in the early '90s. Generic PC hardware is still....generic, but Linux has been more stable on my machines than any Microsoft product since DOS 6.22.

I do sometimes miss the original IBM PC, that came with an entire bookshelf full if printed manuals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

I bought my imac in 2009 after years of blue screens of death.   It hasn't crashed yet, ever.   My PCs all died within 18 months.  For a casual user, macs are a better value.  For a gamer or programmer or tinkerer, I have no doubt that PCs or Linux are better.  

That's why I bought the macbook. I figured.. $3k for a laptop vs $1000-1500 every 12-18 months. I more than got my money back with it going 7 years so far. 

My mac has crashed once - when I installed windows 7 in a virtual machine. I did have to reformat a couple of months ago though. 

I miss my unix and linux boxes. Those were the days.. pre-wife. When I'd run 8-10 computers in my basement and Windows ISA server. 

LB, I'm pretty settled on Ubuntu variants these days. I have become more of a user than a tinkerer, and the combination of package management + available multimedia tools has me hooked. Tried Mint for a bit when Unity first came to market, but finally just gave in and dealt with it. However, I do feel a bit like I'm being 'Microsofted'. ?

• Like 1

I like Ubuntu. I've used freeBSD, open BSD, redhat, Ubuntu, and like 3 others that I don't even remember at this point. In terms of unix/linux. But I really feel like the days of looking at MS as the evil empire are over. Apple is the most valuable company on the planet, they control the hell out of their products and tell you they know better than you what you want. MS, meanwhile, has moved to open source on a great many of their products. Unix and Linux are, of course, same old same old. 

Anyone remember Lindows? What a fail. I was so excited back in the day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I hear it in the drums as well.

Yeah, Mitch Mitchell routinely overplayed... ;) So much so, that he was routinely yelled at by Hendrix on stage, and even had parts of his playing removed from the final edit of the song. Machine Gun is probably the best example of this.

3 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Mitch Mitchell had a signature feel that most guys can't replicate.  Its what happens when a jazz drummer plays rock.  Everything swung a bit and his triplets were fantastic.  Maybe he did overplay.  Manic Depression is a great drum track.  So is Fire. 

He was great, no doubt... I get the jazz to rock reference, makes sense when thinking about it from that perspective. Most of my inspiration is from Jack Bruce and Jaco (to a lesser extent), and he was guilty of "overplaying" also. Interesting to note, because the drummer at the jam session on that video has a strong jazz background. 

Feel has more to do with a song being successful than any other single factor. Absolutely agree with you on that.

Not to toot my own horn, BUT, take a song like Politician... The notes are dead simple, but the feel is what drives the song. The same goes for The Rover (Zep). No feeling, and the song dies.

Part of that is why I truly love jazz so much. So much feeling, and room for expression. Listen to this... It's not a terribly complicated guitar "riff".. but, wow, so clean and has lots of feel. Clean = no room to hide. Each note speaks for itself. 

I don't know how much about guitar.  I know a drummer can hit all the right drums in all the right places and still get it wrong.  Conversely, a drummer can hit all the wrong drums in all the wrong places and get it right.  Drums are more about feel.  Ringo plays almost nothing but hi-hat for most of "Mr Kite" and it is just perfect.  Most guys couldn't do that.  They would have nowhere to hide.  If you don't get the right swing, it sucks.  If you get the right feel, you could play that hi-hat pattern on a tom or the rim of your snare and the song would sound perfect.

Rock N Roll by Led Zeppelin is another perfect example.  The beat is simple, the notes are easy.  It is all about feel.  Even when Jason Bonham plays it (and he plays it well), it is a little too straight and sounds.... mechanical.  

I'd take a Ringo or Mitch or Porcaro or Charie Watts over a Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy any day of the week.  Yes those guys are awesome and can play the crap out of some drums but its just too mechanical for me - like router cut dovetails.  

Years ago at Montreal Drum Fest, Mike Portnoy did a tribute to Zeppelin and I was actually surprised how well he did. I closed my eyes and it really felt like Bonham. I agree about him being more like a machine (like Neil) but being in that venue, that day, im telling you he harnessed the spirit of John Bonham. It gave me the chills.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I don't routinely listen to a lot of the guys you are referencing, but all my favorite live rock drummers are jazz drummers filling rock gigs. The hits are perfect and tight. The beats are ever so subtly non-metronomic without ever losing the integrity of the beat. Shadings abound. Fills are more than paradiddles down the tom chain. 

Can one ever be taco free?

2 minutes ago, Klappco said:

Fretted? # of strings?

I like the sound of a passive frostless with flat wound strings. Very sweet.

Strings up to six, only fretless for me.

I am playing around with the idea of a multiscale fretless, no lines. :)