Hijack!

Llama

35 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I stil l think using "unless" and "pencil in" is inconsistent.  It would be like me telling my wife "Unless I need to work late, I might be home on time". :)

I guess it depends on how often you do need to work late! The unlikeliness of the unless-ed situation is the key :D

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

The Grammar Nazi is back!  This is what I mean when I say extraneous/dangling prepositions.  I just find all those extra little words akward and clumsy.   Also, "pencil in" shouldn't be split by "the 31-year old".  Splitting phrases like that often results in a lack of clarity.   In this particular case the meaning is clear, but it is still ugly. 

From today's Chicago Sun-Times:

" Unless there is a complete breakdown in the scheduled meeting between Noah and Knicks president Phil Jackson, go ahead and pencil the 31-year-old in as the new starting center in the hometown he grew up in. ". 

This is much cleaner:

" Unless there is a complete breakdown in the scheduled meeting between Noah and Knicks president Phil Jackson, go ahead and pencil in the 31-year-old in as the new starting center in his hometown. ". 

(There are plenty of other problems with his sentence.  By starting the sentence with "unless", he his dislaiming the risk of a deal failing.  But he still tells you to "pencil in".  "pencil in" implies a tenative move.  He actually means "unless there is a complete breakdown, you can confirm Noah as the staring center").   

This is even better, IMO

" Unless there is a complete breakdown during the scheduled meeting between Noah and team president Phil Jackson, you can confirm the 31-year-old in as the new starting center for his hometown New York Knicks.  

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/joakim-noah-set-to-join-the-knicks/

And no @Eric., I am not high.  But I am a nerd.  

I am so onboard with your thoughts. I wish I'd paid more attention in high school english class & could be more authoritative. Bad grammar, spelling, sentence structure etc. in published work bothers me to no end.

When I correct others, my wife takes issue & calls me annoying. I like to think of it as being helpful. 

• Like 2

Lots of newspapers are not transitioning to digital very well. The budget cuts have included experienced editors like my neighbor. Then they dump the work of 2-3 editors in the lap of an inexperienced editor with a fancy(but flawed) program that is supposed to do most of the work. I see "you"  where "your" should have been used a lot more lately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

No hating here. My son is begging to make the trip up there to see the "Big Boy" steam locomitive restoration going on at the UP rail yards.

A serious rail fan, he is.

I watched a couple of videos of the Big Boys. Most impressive. Looks like it's time for you to have a road trip.

Just now, wtnhighlander said:

No hating here. My son is begging to make the trip up there to see the "Big Boy" steam locomitive restoration going on at the UP rail yards.

A serious rail fan, he is.

As understand it, we're not really hating on Cheyenne, it's just a "contractual obligation" that seems like a prison sentence and gets you eating tacos almost all the time. An inside joke if you will.

Cheyenne isn't a bad town any more than any city. Compared to Chicago, NY, or You Name It, it's small-town USA, no question. But there's a charm to that. You wish you were care-free enough to live in Cheyenne on a permanent basis. ;)Your lungs would be clean, your real-world concerns would be minimal, and your kids would make fun of you all the time, for making them live in Cheyenne...

• Like 1

On 6/30/2016 at 0:42 PM, Mike. said:

The Grammar Nazi is back!  This is what I mean when I say extraneous/dangling prepositions.  I just find all those extra little words akward and clumsy.   Also, "pencil in" shouldn't be split by "the 31-year old".  Splitting phrases like that often results in a lack of clarity.   In this particular case the meaning is clear, but it is still ugly. 

From today's Chicago Sun-Times:

" Unless there is a complete breakdown in the scheduled meeting between Noah and Knicks president Phil Jackson, go ahead and pencil the 31-year-old in as the new starting center in the hometown he grew up in. ". 

This is much cleaner:

" Unless there is a complete breakdown in the scheduled meeting between Noah and Knicks president Phil Jackson, go ahead and pencil in the 31-year-old in as the new starting center in his hometown. ". 

(There are plenty of other problems with his sentence.  By starting the sentence with "unless", he his dislaiming the risk of a deal failing.  But he still tells you to "pencil in".  "pencil in" implies a tenative move.  He actually means "unless there is a complete breakdown, you can confirm Noah as the staring center").   

This is even better, IMO

" Unless there is a complete breakdown during the scheduled meeting between Noah and team president Phil Jackson, you can confirm the 31-year-old in as the new starting center for his hometown New York Knicks.  

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/joakim-noah-set-to-join-the-knicks/

And no @Eric., I am not high.  But I am a nerd.  

While I do think people should hold those that write for a living to a higher standard - why care? I feel like I care less and less about the small things. For instance, grammar, spelling, etc. 

I mean, I do not handle abbreviating 3 letter words well. Just type you. Idiots. 

On 6/30/2016 at 2:36 PM, wdwerker said:

Lots of newspapers are not transitioning to digital very well. The budget cuts have included experienced editors like my neighbor. Then they dump the work of 2-3 editors in the lap of an inexperienced editor with a fancy(but flawed) program that is supposed to do most of the work. I see "you"  where "your" should have been used a lot more lately.

Yes, but really the problem is a common one in any business nowadays...they're rushing it for stupid reasons.  There's no longer a printing press deadline at 3:00am, so calm down.  The article doesn't have to be 'published' until you've finished it completely (fact-checked, proof-read, etc), it just means the button on the website gets pushed at 3:15am instead...They could do this with less editors, but they need to stop trying to push more quantity at the cost of quality. Same with any other field, appealing to the lowest common denominator, because most media companies stopped doing the news 30 years ago and are only about ads and entertainment.

22 minutes ago, Mike. said:

It is a weird hobby of mine.  I would been a writer but I don't like being broke. 

No kidding. I was pursuing that path for a while. I mean, years back, when I was 13-17ish. Did special writing classes and everything. Turned out I don't care for writing the details of a story, just the parts that are funny. Nobody told me about Douglas Adams until I was 25 or 27 so I didn't think you could write that way.

28 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Man I love thai food. Especially Thai Iced Tea.

2 minutes ago, Llama said:

Thai is one of my favorite food types. 

Perhaps surprisingly, Thai food is well loved around here, and we have some excellent options.

But why do they have "cute" names for their restaurants? With three or four Thai places in a town of 10,000 people we have "Thai Me Up" and "Bon Api Thai".

I mean...Really?

Do we have to? :unsure: