Shipping Container Shop

3 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

This may be taboo bringing this up, but wasn't Chef doing something with containers? 

As I recall, Chef allegedly stored his mahogany, ebony, rosewood and 16/4, qtr. sawn zebra wood in climate controlled containers.

What's the headroom? My shop is 9' 6" & I wouldn't want less if I could help it.

I just bought a "high cube" container at work. It is 9.5 ft tall. The standard height containers are 8 ft. And the useable width after firring strips, insulation, and sheeting, is something less than 7 ft. Not convenient as a shop, but if you have a hillside to bury it it, it makes a very spacious storm shelter.

48 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I just bought a "high cube" container at work. It is 9.5 ft tall. The standard height containers are 8 ft. And the useable width after firring strips, insulation, and sheeting, is something less than 7 ft. Not convenient as a shop, but if you have a hillside to bury it it, it makes a very spacious storm shelter.

That narrow width would be a deal killer. 280 sq ft is fine for a shop, but not if its in a 7' wide format.

Just now, wtnhighlander said:

Don't discout the need for lighting, gee-dub. Even with both doors open on a bright day, its pretty dim inside. For just storing lumber, maybe some battery power would do.

Good point.  In the current shed I have a couple of battery powered "Coleman" lanterns hanging which are fine for pawing through shop overflow that gets banished.  For wood selection you would want something a whole lot better.  The idea is to avoid making multiple trips and good lighting would be a must to make that happen.  Not to mention that much of my shop time is before sunup or after the dinner hour.

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

All Im saying I would just stick build it myself and that would save lots of money and would be eazy compaired to container idea ..

Either way, I will build my next shop myself. Just as I built the last one myself. So labor doesn't fall into the equation.

10 hours ago, BeautysBeast said:

Either way, I will build my next shop myself. Just as I built the last one myself. So labor doesn't fall into the equation.

Ok...Hope to see your shop no matter what you do will be cool..Nothing like a shop.

The only way I'd consider something like this would to use the containers as exterior walls for the shop, perhaps two 8x40's spaced 20 or 30 feet apart.   The containers would only be for storage.

Regardless, you may be grossly underestimating the costs to modify these to make the environment work friendly.

If concrete for a traditional space is too costly, then look for alternatives like pier and beam or some kind of packed aggregate with sleepers over it. There was a recent fine woodworking article a couple months ago where this was done and was low cost. 

Id have a building on post if I had to before the container crap...The OP did ask and it doesnt make any cents..You arent going to save nothing and the hole job will suck doing and you will end up a scabed together mess. ..Thats my take..:(.

If your comfortable build a standard timber frame construction shop and can only afford a 12x20 now and want a 12x40 why not build half now and half when you can save up the rest of the money? If could built it yourself couldn't you add on to it yourself?

53 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

If your comfortable build a standard timber frame construction shop and can only afford a 12x20 now and want a 12x40 why not build half now and half when you can save up the rest of the money? If could built it yourself couldn't you add on to it yourself?

Would be ideal to make it better dimensions if you built it in chunnks like that as well... 12' wide is survivable, but not ideal...if you have the option to build, you should be aiming for closer 20x20 instead, much more usable space.

From the video, it looks to me like they ended up with a roof deck for hanging out, a ground level deck for working outside, and a nice shed for storing their stuff.  The video doesn't show them actually using the shop, or even what the inside looks like with some tools set up.  You put a job-site table saw, a jointer, a planer, a chop saw in there and there won't be any room to work.  But, you could put all your tools on wheels, and wheel them out on the deck to work when the weather is nice.  Then, you need to roll everything back when you are done.

Better than nothing, and pretty convenient for occasional quick projects.  But, the first time you needed to get something done and it was raining, you might decide to frame in that deck.

Our construction guys use these for storing materials at site. They're generally not a problem. But I remember being in Savannah and one of these sank into the ground after a hard rain about 6". We couldn't get the doors open, had to get the crane to lift it out.

Depending on your soil conditions you may need to put this thing on piles/sonotubes if you don't want it shifting over a long period of time. So don't think you can just place this thing anywhere and be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk