Large Diameter dowels?

TheFatBaron

Other than making them myself (as I don't have a mill or lathe), does anyone know of a source for larger-diameter dowels? Woodcraft has 2" diameter in maple, which is ok (I can always stain or paint it) but it would be nice to be able to use other species.

By the way, the project is some rockets that my son can build and recombine using rare earth magnets to put the parts together. Something to do while I wait on some ligaments in my right hand to heal up.

On 7/23/2016 at 7:20 PM, wtnhighlander said:

TS sled jig:

I'll admit, I have caught myself having a tenancy to poopoo some stuff before thinking it through.  With that said,  ain't no way in hell I'm using a drill to push laterally on the side of carbide teeth of a blade spinning near mach Jesus..

10 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I'll admit, I have caught myself having a tenancy to poopoo some stuff before thinking it through.  With that said,  ain't no way in hell I'm using a drill to push laterally on the side of carbide teeth of a blade spinning near mach Jesus..

I'm with you on this one. Taking the hand tool approach on this one. If it becomes a bigger thing, I'll probably just take a lathe class at a local shop, and do this the 'right' way.

Don - 4 1/2 years old. Currently obsessed with all things flying and space related. Zeppelins/blimps, aircraft of all types, the Apollo missions, the Shuttle, Space X, Mars Rovers... he's going to be a giant dork, and I couldn't be happier.

That's a good thing, but I'm confused.  Are you planning on making the dowels while your hand heals?  I was thinking you were going to supervise his work, but at 4 1/2, perhaps not.  

If it's the hand tool approach you're after, I still believe that 8 siding then 16 siding then sanding is the way to go.  All you really need is a block plane, though a spar marking gauge would be a help.  Perhaps he can help with the sanding.

This is kind of what I mean, though I don't think your rocket will be 13 feet long.  You get the idea though...

9 hours ago, Don Z. said:

That's a good thing, but I'm confused.  Are you planning on making the dowels while your hand heals?  I was thinking you were going to supervise his work, but at 4 1/2, perhaps not.  

If it's the hand tool approach you're after, I still believe that 8 siding then 16 siding then sanding is the way to go.  All you really need is a block plane, though a spar marking gauge would be a help.  Perhaps he can help with the sanding.

This is kind of what I mean, though I don't think your rocket will be 13 feet long.  You get the idea though...

Yep, that's what I figured you meant. No, I won't be letting him do much beyond glue & paint. I was hoping to find a good enough deal, but making an octagon with a jack/jointer plane and rounding from there is pretty simple - once everything heals up. Not really worth the money, and I'm not in a particular rush.