Expanded DC ducting and now bandsaw whistles

estesbubba

I added drops past my big bandsaw for the small bandsaw and miter saw and now my big bandsaw whistles when just its gate is open. Previously there was 10' of 6" pipe with a cap and there was no whistling. The whistling stops if I open the bottom door or a 2nd gate. KeepIng the door open isn't an option and I prefer to not open a 2nd gate because this machine has the worst collection of my machines but maybe it's the only solution? Anyone have a better idea? 

On a positive note I copied Eric and used a 4" jointer hood and wedged it under my small bandsaw and it works great. 

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

11 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Does softening the angles of the flex pipe change the whistle at all? Just a guess that 2 with tight turns like that might potentially cause some weird air-flow.

I've tried that with my hands and no change. The hose I got 2 years ago doesn't like to expand and stay that way so even if I used longer pieces it will collapse. 

11 hours ago, krtwood said:

I would probably try making a small hole in the hose at the saw.

You shouldn't be reducing down to 4" and then have a 4" wye, the wye should be equal to the branch and then either directly reduce to the 4" or have reducers after it.

Well I did have a 6, 6, 6 wye there and 6-4 reducers coming out of that and I decided to use that wye for my 2nd bandsaw. The local place I get all my stuff from doesn't stock the 6, 6, 6 wye's and custom makes them in another location and I wanted to work on it over the weekend so why I moved it. 

3 hours ago, Jfitz said:

Nice setup.

Without knowing where the whistling is really happening, that's a tough one.  If you open the blast gate to the band saw slowly, does it only open at a certain point?

The whistling appears to be coming from the bottom of the bandsaw. If I shut the BS gate partially it does away and if I open the bottom door partially it does away. Could it be I'm getting too much suction in the bottom compartment and not enough air to feed it? Is having only one blast gate open at say 66% bad for the cyclone? 

Here is what it looked like before and didn't whistle unless I had a 2nd blast gate open somewhere else so now I just reversed the problem! I trimmed the hose down after installing everything. 

IMG_0393.JPG

21 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Is having only one blast gate open at say 66% bad for the cyclone? 

I'd be worried about not having enough air flow to keep dust from building up in the lines. To solve that you could open a blase gate further down the line slightly. Also the cyclone will need enough velocity to separate out the dust. It shouldn't harm the motor less air flow is less load which means less power draw and less heat.

42 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Not an engineer so take this for what it is but...mine has whistled for 12 years with no ill effects that I am aware of.

Hard to tell from the video but it's an annoying sound!

2 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Just curious Mike, I have no solution to your problem but does it whistle when the saw is on or off or just when the saw is on.

Good question because I did turn the saw on but will tonight. 

I suspect that the sound (which is a very pure sound at a particular pitch) may be coming from one particular point that air is being drawn through a small opening.  Use some tape at various locations and experiment to see if you can find that spot. [ Or tape everything and remove one piece at a time].  I had a car that did that @ 45 mph.  Finally found that it was one particular hole in the adjustable roof rack.

3 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Just curious, does the whistling continue if you cover the insert at the blade?  Thinking that's a possible location where a whistle could be produced.

I don't think it's that as the ports are both in the bottom enclosure but I'll try it tonight. If I open the bottom door a bit it goes away so I think that air entering around the door is what's causing it. 

g0513x2_det4-4915674ab54835fcbd89a8d6f7e

Kev I think you have the same bandsaw in a different color? If so you you have your ClearVue hooked to it yet?

3 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I don't think it's that as the ports are both in the bottom enclosure but I'll try it tonight. If I open the bottom door a bit it goes away so I think that air entering around the door is what's causing it.

Kev I think you have the same bandsaw in a different color? If so you you have your ClearVue hooked to it yet?

Yes and I didn't have any whistle issues..

If you do suspect the door, maybe some simple weather stripping would fix the problem?

6 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Well I did have a 6, 6, 6 wye there and 6-4 reducers coming out of that and I decided to use that wye for my 2nd bandsaw. The local place I get all my stuff from doesn't stock the 6, 6, 6 wye's and custom makes them in another location and I wanted to work on it over the weekend so why I moved it. 

I wouldn't mess with anything until you get that wye setup permanent, since it wasn't whistling when you had the 6" wye before.  I doubt that what you changed downstream is what changed anything.