What keeps you coming back for more?

bradpotts

Today I was finishing up some doors. I have always found it difficult to put down what I think is a really good finish. I.e. Gun calibrated correct, speed, distance... but today everything was beautiful and I realized. These little things are the reason I love woodworking. What are the things that bring a smile to your face when woodworking?

Eric's is probably the smell of ARS. Ha ha

• Like 1

Pretty much every aspect aside from sanding. Giving something I made to friends and family. I just like creating. Getting close to finishing a project so you know you'll be starting the new one you've been thinking about soon. Recently the main one that's been bringing the grin is walking into the shop. I cleaned the shite out of it on Saturday and it's nice going into a clean space. Gonna try to keep it that way, as best I can. No more letting it go into chaos.

I always have a thought of cleaning up at the end of the night but I hardly ever clean at the end of the day. I usually leave things laying around until I get tired of tripping over them or can't find things.

Being retired and old and getting up earlier than most of the world 3 to 4 AM and walking into a warm shop on a cold morning and the smell of wood and sawdust, just brings a smile to my face, as does the coffee in my hand.

Do you have a fireplace in your shop?

27 minutes ago, bradpotts said:

I always have a thought of cleaning up at the end of the night but I hardly ever clean at the end of the day. I usually leave things laying around until I get tired of tripping over them or can't find things.

Do you have a fireplace in your shop?

No, electric heat.  But it's warm in the winter, and there's A/C for the hot summers.

• Like 1

Unlike most of the people here, I don't necessarily love the process. I don't romanticize cutting joinery or touching a freshly planed surface. I love the design work, the first cuts that show what the board will look like. I suppose I really enjoy laying out the pieces on the boards, the discovery I suppose. After that point it's just work. I honestly don't "love" it until the project is done and I can see what I have made from a pile of wood.

I truly enjoy woodworking, but it's not what keeps me coming back to it. The discovery and the final reveal is what keeps me going. There are parts along the way that I really like... but this is an overall perspective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

Pretty much every aspect aside from sanding....

That resonates for me.

I would probably like the sanding if I were better at it and it weren't so dusty.  As it is, a good portion of my learning is about how to sidestep sanding (acquiring competence with hand planes, scrapers, sharpening them...)  

The learning involved (I'm a nerd) is very engaging to me.  That's why (although I also really do enjoy all of you folks) I spend time here!

• Like 1

At work I have to focus on multiple priorities at the same time. In the shop I can really slow down and focus on each step in the process, really enjoying the task at hand rather than just "getting it done" so I can move on to the next thing on my list.  

I have to admit though that like Eric, when I see that first pop of the grain, I'm hooked. After seeing the wood in every state from rough sawn to final prep, in my mind I anticipate what it's going to look like. That first depth of character the finish brings to the surface is always my favorite moment in the shop. 

18 minutes ago, micks said:

You nailed. Took the words right out of my mouth. I can only add the view out my shop window this time of year. Or any.

IMG_0500.jpg

Great view....... mine is turkey's and deer, damn near as good.   

40 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

The girls!  Chicks dig the wood!

Only in the morning!

• Like 2

Just now, RichardA said:

Great view....... mine is turkey's and deer, damn near as good.   

One of the strangest things we've noticed since we moved here is the absence of deer. Not enough food, I guess - high desert. 

I relate to your post so much. As much as I love everything about woodworking, I love those early morning hours the most. Coffee, sawdust, straightening last night's mess. The rewards of making it.

IMG_4558.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, micks said:

One of the strangest things we've noticed since we moved here is the absence of deer. Not enough food, I guess - high desert. 

I relate to your post so much. As much as I love everything about woodworking, I love those early morning hours the most. Coffee, sawdust, straightening last night's mess. The rewards of making it.

IMG_4558.JPG

Amen, my young friend, amen.   That's what makes being here a pleasure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, micks said:

Our deer only stick around from May to early November... but these guys are here year round... this is the back door to the Shop... but RichardA nailed it for the mornings :) oh...and I DO have a fire place in the shop :)

Andy's Shop 001.jpg

• Like 2