Next purchase: jointer or track saw?

Matter of Fractions

I'd like some feedback on the smartest choice on my next tool purchase. I'm 2 years into my side hustle as a woodworker and 1 year into my new shop (we moved). I currently have a Delta contractor saw (lowes model), Ridgid planer, Dewalt 12" miter saw, router table, and a couple routers. I will have some income to invest back into tools and am trying to decide between a jointer and a track saw. I would say sheet goods take up about 25% of my material usage. 

The jointer that I'm interested in is the Grizzly G0452Z and for the tracksaw, I'm looking at the Makita SP6000J1. Obviously, the jointer is about twice as much as the tracksaw. I'll eventually have both I think. I'm just wondering which one makes the most sense to have sooner. Any thoughts or opinions on this would be appreciated.

Jointer. The jointer/planer team are essential to your stated 75% non-sheet-goods work. Kudos on going straight to the index cutter head. I assume a space limitation is driving the smaller jointer choice(?). If so, the rack and pinion fence adjustment eats up about a half a foot more foot print than a sliding carriage if that is of any concern.

A lot of people upgrade to an 8" machine so the used market is generally pretty good for 6" machines.  I don't know that you would find the index head machine used though.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure once I have the jointer, I will wonder how I lived without it. haha.

As far as the jointer size, I've seen numerous discussions on this that say 6" is too small. For me, its more about the money than the space. I think I can get their cheapest 8" for a similar price as the spiral cutter 6". I'd rather have the spiral cutter head. I have not yet needed anything wider than 6". Also, if I do have the need for wider, I would use the trick from the wood whisperer. Remove the guard, flatten a 6" rabbet on the board, run it through the planer with a 6" wide plywood spacer in the rabbet. I'll post a link if anyone wants it.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure once I have the jointer, I will wonder how I lived without it. haha.

As far as the jointer size, I've seen numerous discussions on this that say 6" is too small. For me, its more about the money than the space. I think I can get their cheapest 8" for a similar price as the spiral cutter 6". I'd rather have the spiral cutter head. I have not yet needed anything wider than 6". Also, if I do have the need for wider, I would use the trick from the wood whisperer. Remove the guard, flatten a 6" rabbet on the board, run it through the planer with a 6" wide plywood spacer in the rabbet. I'll post a link if anyone wants it.

I think Matt Cremona has been using this technique lately in his bed build because his rough stock is really wide. Looks like maybe 12". I would check last week's video about the bed for a better view of it.

From personal experience though I would I kill to have a nice jointer. It's a time consuming task to do it by hand with a wooden bodied jointer plane.

As many sheet goods as I have cut and broken down over the years on houses, the track saw seemed like a complete waste of time. Because of the additional set up time and having to make room for the track in a truck or van.

I would go new jointer hands down all day long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd rather joint boards by hand than have a 6" machine.

Having said that, if your budget and space only allow for the 6" (really consider an 8" or more :) ) Then get the best 6" you can. The PM is a nice machine... You could probably find a few used 6" from people going to an 8" (or bigger) machine. If you have 220, just get the 8". 

Just now, Mike. said:

I will hold on to my 6" until I can afford a 12" machine.  

Agreed... 6" is better than no inch! I was a little over the top about my dislike of 6" machines, but when I had the 6" I hated it. Never failed. I had boards that were 7.5", and no luck. To be fair, I had just as many that were 10"... So the 8" would have still been to narrow.

On 03/03/2017 at 11:26 AM, Matter of Fractions said:

I have a 6" HH powermatic jointer and it suits me well.  I only occassionally need to joint wider than 6", and when I do, i either break down the rough stock first (cordless circular saw), or joint as much as I can and finish with a few strokes of a handplane.

But like I said, 95℅ of the time, 6" is plenty wide.

• 4 years later...

My case for a Track Saw:

I've had a Jet 6" jointer for years and it's a great workhorse. I recently bought a Festool TS 55 because I had an idea. I wanted to see if it was possible for me to work without the jointer, possibly getting rid of it all together and save some floor space. I bought a new house in 2019 and I needed to build some furniture quick. I built four end tables, a coffee table, an entryway table, a desk, a bed headboard and two nightstands all out of hardwood without a single piece of plywood or any other sheet good.

The tables and desk were all made of cherry with the tops all having multiple edge glue joints, from 4/4 to 6/4 thick, inset hardwood panels, 2 - 2.5" square legs and so-on. I did all of these without ever using the jointer. I cut the glue line joint with the track saw and put both pieces in the vise and I take one to two swipes with my #8 hand plane. Stack them on edge and they fit with no light coming through. Edge glue them together and I was able to get a perfect fit every time.

I'm not saying that a track saw can to everything a jointer can do, that would be stupid. But I am saying that the most common operation on a jointer, glue joint prep, can be done as just as well on a track saw. The other things a jointer can do can also be done elsewhere. I don't get that fancy with my jointer so that's something just don't worry about.

For large boards, It's much easier to use the track saw and follow up with a hand plane than it is to wrestle with a large board on the jointer. It's still a little early but I think I will be getting rid of my jointer. I'm beginning to believe I can do without it.

wayne

I’m probably odd man out on using the jointer for edge gluing. I do use mine to get a straight edge, only to take the board to the ts where I get a much finer edge for edge gluing. I depend on my jointer almost exclusively to flatten one side to make ready for the planner. Just curious how you prep your boards for the planner, hand plane? I do need to get a track saw though for sheet goods.