Wood to compliment Sapele for a liquor cabinet?

HickWillis

I picked up a very nice piece of Sapele that I am going to use to build a liquor cabinet for some friends getting married.  I have enough to make pretty much all of the shell of the cabinet and the door.  I will need to accent it with another type of wood (or get more Sapele).  Are there any common (and not super exotic) woods that pair with Sapele?

Depends really on how much?  Too much and the piece looks trashy.  

If I have small accents to do, I like to go the opposite and use Wenge to ensure that contrast stays there long term.  Otherwise, I usually just stick with Sapele.

1 hour ago, Llama said:

I actually wasn't kidding... 

Doing a remodel at the local Hilton now, and almost everything is walnut with white quartz tops. It's growing on me. 

Wish I knew how to do that "there, I changed it for you" thing;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How about genuine mahogany and sapele? Using sapele for the accent wood. Anyone ever try this?

Disclaimer- I have never used either species, so this judgement is from photo / video experience alone. I think mahogany and sapele are so close in appearance that it would just make the piece look "off" a bit.

1 hour ago, bushwacked said:

Steam is better

10 minutes ago, Eric. said:

A guy came in the yard last week and bought a couple sticks of walnut.  He kept raving about how great they were and how much better they looked because they hadn't been steamed, and how horrible steamed walnut is and how he can spot it a mile away.  I just smiled and wrote his ticket.

*Shrug*

Can only speak to what I've gotten locally. Air dried backyard walnut vs steamed and kiln dried hardwood dealer walnut. The dealer stuff is brown, and pretty, but didn't hold a candle to the backyard stuff.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Yeah I agree with Ross...that combo is no bueno. That would be like putting red oak and white oak together.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Who's Ross?  i was trying to refer back to se his post but, found no Ross.  Actual name versus handle I guess?  I'm a fan of darker accents with sapele and cousins; walnut, ebony, ebonized wood of choice.  That is, as opposed to sapele and something light like maple.

26 minutes ago, Eric. said:

A guy came in the yard last week and bought a couple sticks of walnut.  He kept raving about how great they were and how much better they looked because they hadn't been steamed, and how horrible steamed walnut is and how he can spot it a mile away.  I just smiled and wrote his ticket.

please tell me those were steamed? that would make my day haha.

... or did yall become best friends on the spot?