Radial Arm Saw

Ibboykin

Does anyone here use a radial arm saw anymore. I know it had pretty much been made obsolete by the power mitre saw.  Yesterday in cleaning my dad's shop out I uncovered one.  I plugged it up and it still runs.  It's an old Delta.  Contemplating what do do or use it for. 

I do.   I used my Dad's when I was a teenager all the time.  When I went in business for myself, a RAS was the first big tool I bought.  I still have it, but it's set up to only cut very accurate right angle cuts, and has been for about 25 years..  I also have a sliding miter saw for angled cuts.  

Just now, K Cooper said:

They scare the s*#t out of me and have limited use. JMO

At least you didn't just say no :)  Why do they scare you? My dad had one but I never used it. Just looking at it dosent look more dangerous than anything else. What scares me is my table saw that doesnt have slow start. Might upgrade later but I don't stand directly in front of it when I turn it on. Sound like the blade is going to rip out and come at me on the start.

I "had" one previously, as it was already in the shop space I rented for a year or so. I cleaned it up, used it once, and decided I didn't like it. Little too scary to use, and I had both a miter saw and a table saw which limited its uses. I will say I *love* the look of the old DeWalts, and if I had the space I would buy one just for the art factor.

Probably because it's the first saw I ever had and it was a gillion years old when I got it, and didn't know how to use it in the first place. Just lack of knowledge on my part. It's now a fish haven on the bottom of a pond in a place in the country. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had ras's for quite a few years. Mine is a major part of my shop. I use it for 90% of all crosscuts, and dados. Nice to see the dado as it's cut. 

About 10 years ago I had an old Craftsman ras. I was at box store and playing with the shinny, plastic sliders. With the motor/blade at the end of the arms, you could deflect the blade sideways a lot, with slight pressure. Very discouraging. I went home and tried it on my ras. Very little deflection.

Decided I didn't want a slider.

Since then I now have a  12" Dewalt 7790. A keeper!

Note: A ras requires a number of adjustments to get it setup right. Then your good to go.

Probably shouldn't have done it but I recently gave away a delta/Rockwell RAS. It needed some tlc, mainly a new power switch but other than that it seemed rock solid. I just new with just getting started in WW I would never get to fixing/tuning it up. Other fish to fry I guess. 

• Like 1

I've never owned one but my grandpa and dad had one and I used it a few times.  Also used one in shop class.  They're inherently dangerous tools and that's why they're not made anymore...there are simply safer alternatives available.  If you're comfortable with it and have it set up for some special purpose there's no reason you can't use it if you know what you're doing...but I much prefer a crosscut sled on the table saw for almost any task a RAS can do.  No chance of the blade cutting loose and jumping toward you.  Thanks, but no thanks.

I don't even have a miter saw.  

I can get perfect cross cuts on furniture parts on my tablesaw.  I use a jig saw or whatever is handy for rough cuts.  

If you cross cut a lot of big wide stock then I guess it is useful.  While marketed as a jack of all trades back when Nixon was president, nowadays it seems like a one trick pony and a novelty act.  

36 minutes ago, Mike. said:

While marketed as a jack of all trades back when Nixon was president, nowadays it seems like a one trick pony and a novelty act.  

One trick pony? Then a slider must be a partial trick pony. A ras can do much more than a slider.

Table saw instead?  Picture a job I had. Cut about 8, 1 1/2" deep x 1" wide dados in each of 2 2x4's. 16 total.  How long to setup supports and cut on a ts?  How about, less then 5 minutes on a ras! Sure it can be done on a ts, but much easier on a ras.

I have used my ras to cut cove mouldings. Nice to see the cut doing dados and coves. I've used it to dish out a pieces of wood. 

I wouldn't want to be without mine. Then again, I know what it can do and know how to use it.

Sure would like to know what a slider can do, that a ras can't. Other than be carried off by a thief!

Light weight is the only advantage I see, and only if you need it mobile.

7 minutes ago, over40pirate said:

Sure would like to know what a slider can do, that a ras can't. Other than be carried off by a thief!

Light weight is the only advantage I see, and only if you need it mobile.

It's safer.  That may or may not matter to you but that doesn't mean it's not true.

No one said a RAS is useless or doesn't have some advantages.  Your 2x4 dado scenario is a perfect example...the RAS is a perfect tool for that.  But usually there's an alternative solution that's just as convenient, just as precise (or more so), and almost always safer.

People who own RAS always seem to defend them as if they're disabled children who are getting picked on at school.  Y'all need to relax a little.  No one cares.

• Like 2

If you can get your hands on one of the big old cast iron ones and have the time and mechanical skills to tune it up it may be worth it. These big saws demand space and plenty of power. If it's a little (10" or under) Craftsman or other retail brands its probably not worth the effort. They can be a little scary and take some getting used to. Like Tom King said with careful setup & the right blade they can cut perfect 90 quite cleanly. They can cut angles and compound angles but getting it set up just right can be time consuming, hardly worth it if you need the opposite cut after just a few cuts.

If you use one carelessly they can be quite dangerous. Most saws are like that but especially a RAS.

I had a Craftsman and rarely used it. It refused to stay square for long and I gave it away. I've used the big iron in other shops and while they demand respect they do a good job.

Using a sled on a tablesaw scares me a lot more than using a radial arm saw-especially ones I see with no safety box on the back.  I wonder which has actually cut more fingers.

They are still made, but only really nice industrial ones that I know of.  If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I'd have at least one of these:

https://www.omgainc.com/productfamily.php?cid=1

One reason they get such a bad name is because the vast majority of them are allowed to develop a lot of slop in the rollers.  With no slop in the rollers, and no wear on the tracks, you can do really precise work with them.  I'm sure the average person will use one of the sloppy ones, and assume that they are all really crude tools.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Here it is. My Dad's Delta Model 10 radial arm saw.   Other than dusty, it is in great shape and purrs like a kitten but heavier than a dead minister.  Will be moving it back home today along with a decent stack of oak I found. 

IMG_1512.JPG

• Like 1