Woodpeckers new crap

socoj2

So i have been looking at the festool parallel guides then these pop up. am i missing something when i saw them i thought they would be cheaper than the festool ones.

but the Festool ones is cheaper by $60 with the extensions =/

then i really like the domino offset base system though i dont see myself dropping $400 for it.

I have the festool parallel guides, and they work as advertised, but I don't use them as much as I thought I would.  Maybe I am missing something but I don't see a need for offset base system thing,  I just mark lines on the wood where I want the mortise and go.  Seneca sells a plate for 1/2 and 3/4 wood thickness that is a lot less expensive.   I have one for my 700 but again I don't use it much, it is just easier to set the domino height and cut the mortise.  Maybe I am just a curmudgeon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Maybe I am missing something but I don't see a need for offset base system thing,  I just mark lines on the wood where I want the mortise and go.

50 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I have one for my 700 but again I don't use it much, it is just easier to set the domino height and cut the mortise.

I don't own a Domino but have been around one being used and your methods were the same as what I saw being done.   You may still be a curmudgeon though, I just don't know. :lol:

The fence on the Domino can be locked in position slightly crooked or slip under repeated use all day. The Domiplate is rock solid  & sized for 3/4" and 1/2" stock (and ply ). I use a lot of 5/8 Baltic for drawers.  I added 2 shims of plastic laminate under the 1/2" side and it centers a 5mm domino.

It also gives you a better viewpoint to line up on marks & grip with the knob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardA said:

That  would depend on your age group, and your consistant attitude.

Age group fits, and for 30 years friends and foe called me the Grizz.  Grandkids call me Grumps. I think could be the walking/talking definition of curmudgeon. :angry:

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Age group fits, and for 30 years friends and foe called me the Grizz.  Grandkids call me Grumps. I think could be the walking/talking definition of curmudgeon. :angry:

You seemed like a nice guy when we met. So either that was an act, or it's all an elaborate ruse of curmudgeoness.

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

The fence on the Domino can be locked in position slightly crooked or slip under repeated use all day. The Domiplate is rock solid  & sized for 3/4" and 1/2" stock (and ply ). I use a lot of 5/8 Baltic for drawers.  I added 2 shims of plastic laminate under the 1/2" side and it centers a 5mm domino.

It also gives you a better viewpoint to line up on marks & grip with the knob.

It's one of those things that I keep resisting, but know I'll probably end up buying eventually.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, wdwerker said:

So how do we tell you from Eric ? <grin>

Eric has skills. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, BonPacific said:

You seemed like a nice guy when we met. So either that was an act, or it's all an elaborate ruse of curmudgeoness.

Everybody has an off day....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Eric has skills. 

Shots fired!!! 

On 4/25/2017 at 3:16 PM, bleedinblue said:

It's one of those things that I keep resisting, but know I'll probably end up buying eventually.

It's a strange thing... but the domino works better upside down. I use the Domiplate whenever possible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 9:18 AM, Just Bob said:

I have the festool parallel guides, and they work as advertised, but I don't use them as much as I thought I would.  Maybe I am missing something but I don't see a need for offset base system thing,  I just mark lines on the wood where I want the mortise and go.  Seneca sells a plate for 1/2 and 3/4 wood thickness that is a lot less expensive.   I have one for my 700 but again I don't use it much, it is just easier to set the domino height and cut the mortise.  Maybe I am just a curmudgeon.

I thought the point here was to allow the 700 to center index on less than 1" stock easily, no? haven't bought it yet, but was considering pulling the trigger along with their 6mm bit for the 700 as I wouldn't use a friend's 500 much then.

3 hours ago, Nemmy said:

I thought the point here was to allow the 700 to center index on less than 1" stock easily, no? haven't bought it yet, but was considering pulling the trigger along with their 6mm bit for the 700 as I wouldn't use a friend's 500 much then.

The Seneca plate allows you to cut dominos in 1/2 and 3/4 stock.  I bought the 700 first because I had a project that I needed the larger dominos.  If I were to buy a Domino today, I would by  the 500.  It is easier to use, and  works for 90% of all the projects I work on now, my 700 doesn't get much use.  It looks to me like the Woodpeckers setup is just more stuff than I would ever need.