Stupid Human Tricks - Cutting Sheetgoods

gee-dub

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Aha, I see my error! In tge photo, some portion of the bench's lower shelf (or something on it) is revealed just enough to appear to be a supporting surface under the left side of the cut, as pictured.

My fault.  I couldn't get far enough away to give you a really good overall shot :).

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Do you use a horse or stand to support the offcut when it falls free?

Just came off a 12 hour overnight shift.  I stared at that for a good 60 seconds before I realized you meant sawhorse.  I kept thinking the horse would freak out as soon as the saw turned on.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

Just came off a 12 hour overnight shift.  I stared at that for a good 60 seconds before I realized you meant sawhorse.  I kept thinking the horse would freak out as soon as the saw turned on.  

You really need some rest. It's well known that cutting sheet goods on horses may stain them sheet goods.

• Like 2

I made one like "higtron" has about 25 years ago. It works great !

I also use a sheet of 2" thick foam. I ripped it in half then cut one of those into 2-24 x 48 chunks.  It's easy to work out a configuration to cut 5x5 and 4x8 sheets with the off cut supported. Some time the only issue is where to place the tracksaw clamps. I've used everything end to end and ripped 14' long glue line ready pieces of 5/4 oak, you just have to hold your tongue right while cutting.

• Like 1

hey Gee-dub, would the sheet fit completely (or even mostly) on the table?  if so I'd consider some sacrificial boards laid on the table first, and then just zip through them with the saw.  Or put a piece of 2" foam on the table first and then same thing.

I do like the clamp and rotate approach though.  clever.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 7:42 PM, woodbutcher74 said:

This looks like a great way to cut sheet goods. If I used more plywood I'd definitely built one. I've never seen straight edge clamps like that. Where did you get them?

Peach Tree Woodworking in Atlanta, GA   www.ptreeusa.com   My circular saw that I use with them has a shop made guide shoe that fits these straight edge clamps, so the saw slides along the straight edge clamp much like a track saw,The shoe also has a zero clearance area where the blade comes up through the wood to minimize chipping. It's my  low budget version of a track saw,  I made use of what I already had. It's a little more difficult to use than a true track saw because the cut line isn't against the straight edge clamp. I made a spacer to position the clamp to the cut line, but I usually break up sheet stock leaving about 1/8-1/4" extra, and then trim the pieces to final size on my Unisaw..

I also use the cutting table on work sites, My miter saw has a plywood base that attaches to the center 2 X 4 of the table. So cutting and installing trim, or even just cutting 2 X stock is very easy, and again, the off cuts do not fall.  I  much prefer this cutting table to saw horses.

I recently purchased a "Gorilla Gripper"  so now loading sheet goods onto the turn up tabs of my cutting table is easier too. Their ad is very funny. See attached video.

Charley

• 3 months later...
On 8/20/2017 at 6:59 PM, Chet said:

I don't have any place to store a piece of rigid foam insulation or even a crappy piece of ply so I shamelessly but with out regrets copied higtron's idea.  I can place it either direction on my work area and when not in use, bundled up it is easy to stick in a corner.

Never forget your ceiling. Add a couple of those hooks used for bicycles and perhaps a chaine (ok, now I've done it) some twine holding some light planks. and your can suspend lots of large light-weight stuff.

On 9/2/2017 at 10:57 AM, CharleyL said:

Peach Tree Woodworking in Atlanta, GA   www.ptreeusa.com   My circular saw that I use with them has a shop made guide shoe that fits these straight edge clamps, so the saw slides along the straight edge clamp much like a track saw,The shoe also has a zero clearance area where the blade comes up through the wood to minimize chipping. It's my  low budget version of a track saw,  I made use of what I already had. It's a little more difficult to use than a true track saw because the cut line isn't against the straight edge clamp. I made a spacer to position the clamp to the cut line, but I usually break up sheet stock leaving about 1/8-1/4" extra, and then trim the pieces to final size on my Unisaw..

I also use the cutting table on work sites, My miter saw has a plywood base that attaches to the center 2 X 4 of the table. So cutting and installing trim, or even just cutting 2 X stock is very easy, and again, the off cuts do not fall.  I  much prefer this cutting table to saw horses.

I recently purchased a "Gorilla Gripper"  so now loading sheet goods onto the turn up tabs of my cutting table is easier too. Their ad is very funny. See attached video.

Charley

A cute take-off of the Pepsi commercial.