hand held belt sander

treesner

hey guys wondering what would be the best hand held belt sander to get? current project that made me want to have one is leveling some plywood end grain of a weird shaped cabinet i made, i tried a power planer but it wasn't working well in the miter joint area.. 

Seems like the recommended one is porter cable 4x24. Looking on eBay and seeing one has a bag and one doesn't.. Although i have a trend air shield guessing you'd still want a bag for this thing?

It's a big bite, but the Rotex can be used for other tasks, the belt sander IMO is a one trick pony and won't be used much.  I burned mine up a couple years ago haven't missed it.  For less than half price, you can get the Bosch 1250, IMO it's the equivalent to the Rotex.

If I remember correctly treesner does a lot of sculpting in plywood.  A Rotex would be an incredibly useful tool for that.  It can hog some meat, and can handle a lot more shapes than a belt sander.  It can also be used as a finish sander.  Much much more versatile than any belt.  Obviously with a giant price tag.

• Like 1

I have a 4x24 Rockwell that I probably haven't used in 30 years.  The 3x21 Bosch gets pulled out once in a while, but the last job I remember for that was leveling down some brick to fit a theshold over, and that's been a good while ago too.  About the only one I use to amount to anything is the one handed PC that turns out to be the ideal tool for trimming horses' feet.

They were something everyone needed before random orbit sanders came out.

18 minutes ago, Eric. said:

If I remember correctly treesner does a lot of sculpting in plywood.  A Rotex would be an incredibly useful tool for that.  It can hog some meat, and can handle a lot more shapes than a belt sander.  It can also be used as a finish sander.  Much much more versatile than any belt.  Obviously with a giant price tag.

Yeah i've looked into and tried a rotex for my work but i don't like that in rotex mode while it spins theres a slight orbital action, I prefer the makita 90* drill with sanding disc. I have tried the drill sander on the edge which worked ok but i can't help to think the larger surface area of the belt sander would be easier to keep square. The other belt sander task I believe i need it for is flattening a plywood table top glue up. 

The ro150 isn't that manageable in rotex mode, imo. I've had it spin out of my grip and go gallavanting across my work surface a few times leaving gouges. I also think the belt sander removes material faster. What my PC belt sander lacked was DC, and that meant using it outside only. One of the few reasons it went to some guy on Craigslist. If I had the choice, I'd get the festool model with a sanding frame. I would actually buy that thing new if they had it in NA. My second choice would be the Bosch because the dust port is positioned better. The PC had it sticking out of the top of the housing like a blow hole. Oh, and it was 3/4" port or something equally odd. My third choice and what I would probably do tomorrow if I needed a belt sander is buy whatever was cheap on Craigslist. 

14 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

The ro150 isn't that manageable in rotex mode, imo. I've had it spin out of my grip and go gallavanting across my work surface a few times leaving gouges. I also think the belt sander removes material faster. What my PC belt sander lacked was DC, and that meant using it outside only. One of the few reasons it went to some guy on Craigslist. If I had the choice, I'd get the festool model with a sanding frame. I would actually buy that thing new if they had it in NA. My second choice would be the Bosch because the dust port is positioned better. The PC had it sticking out of the top of the housing like a blow hole. Oh, and it was 3/4" port or something equally odd. My third choice and what I would probably do tomorrow if I needed a belt sander is buy whatever was cheap on Craigslist. 

I haven't seen the festool belt sander for sale guessing it's ~600 tho. Good call out on the dust port, the PC did look like an odd place and takes up more storage space with the vertical height of the tube. 

6 minutes ago, treesner said:

I haven't seen the festool belt sander for sale guessing it's ~600 tho. Good call out on the dust port, the PC did look like an odd place and takes up more storage space with the vertical height of the tube. 

They have different sizes, but the big boy is $750-1000, i think. its only available in a 220v version in europe. With the sanding frame, its supposed to be the bee's knees for large flat surface sanding.

If you're going to use belt sanders much, you're probably going to want both a 4x24, and a 3x21.  The 4x is better for large flat areas, and the 3x is much lighter, and better handling for anything other than large flat areas.

I have a half sheet AEG sander, that I'm pretty sure hasn't been made in a long time, that is almost as fast in removing material as a RO sander.  It has a larger orbit than a 1/4 sheet finish sander, as well as a much higher RPM.   It's, of course, not as fast at removal as a belt sander, but great for following one.  It has a sanding frame, and a shop vac turned it into a decent clean air machine.  I think they stopped making it when RO's came out.

Fortunately, I do almost no sanding any more.

For what this is worth, if you're looking for a 4" belt sander that won't be used frequently- https://t.harborfreight.com/10-amp-4-in-x-24-in-variable-speed-professional-belt-sander-69820.html

Its $70 (without the 20% off coupon).  

I purchased mine 5 yrs ago when I had several hundred bf of reclaimed barn wood flor joists to clean before miling. To this day I use it exclusively for the 60 grit jobs and it's never let me down.  

A belt sander in my shop has one small purpose and the $55 or so that I paid was money well spent.  

• 3 weeks later...

I got the makita 3x21. I'm maneuvering it around more than i thought on semi round things so it's nice to have the lighter weight. however I wish it would hog off more material! i'm used to using the kutzall on the die grinder that rips through the wood. Is there anything lower than a 36 grit paper?