Shop Move

..Kev

2 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

boooo! This weeks video did not show up on my youtube channel ... will watch tonight!

dust collection so soon? you got your setup that honed in already or is it decently easy to change?

The Nordfab is super easy to change around.  Takes longer to hang supports in the ceiling than it does to actually hook up pipe.  I don't think the shop is going to change much but, I'll never say "never" either ;)

Strange that the video didn't show up in your feed, you're the first one I've heard that from.

Finally watched it... 

you may have mentioned some of this in the video but I had 2 kids screaming/playing while watching haha  

couple questions:

1) what dovetail jig is that? Looks like a Leigh .. what model and how do you like it?

2) what’s your plan for cutting a wide board that would hit the drop on the tablesaw? Bust out the tracksaw and go that route? 

3) do you have to ground the ducting? 

1 hour ago, bushwacked said:

Finally watched it... 

you may have mentioned some of this in the video but I had 2 kids screaming/playing while watching haha  

couple questions:

1) what dovetail jig is that? Looks like a Leigh .. what model and how do you like it?

2) what’s your plan for cutting a wide board that would hit the drop on the tablesaw? Bust out the tracksaw and go that route? 

3) do you have to ground the ducting? 

Glad mine are finally grown and gone..lol  To answer your questions;

1.  It's the Leigh D4R.  I like it a lot but don't use it enough to where I can remember how the thing works.  I have to break out the manual each time.

2.  That TS drop is just beyond my max fence.  Regardless, I do have the track saw and other methods to get the job done.

3.  I didn't ground the ducting and haven't noticed any real issues.  Once in a while when cleaning the paper on the drum sander, I'll get a little shock from the hose clamp that attaches the flex hose to the machine but, it's not bad.  Just gets your attention.

• Like 1

Hi Kev... I notice on your CV1800 mount you have it secured to the ceiling as well.  Were you finding it drooping over time or is it just there as a safety margin?  I like it and now expect to do the same on my install.  When I put it in originally I thought it felt like a lot of weight pulling on my wall studs even though I securing it with some hefty lag screws.  I should listen to my nervous side I suppose.

8 minutes ago, SplinteredDave said:

Hi Kev... I notice on your CV1800 mount you have it secured to the ceiling as well.  Were you finding it drooping over time or is it just there as a safety margin?  I like it and now expect to do the same on my install.  When I put it in originally I thought it felt like a lot of weight pulling on my wall studs even though I securing it with some hefty lag screws.  I should listen to my nervous side I suppose.

No droop experienced but, I've had it that way since day 1 in the old shop.  That assembly hanging on the wall is quite heavy and I just wanted the additional support.  For me, it was well worth a few bucks in parts at the big box store.  It also helped me dial in "level" which was a bonus feature.

• Like 1

Just now, TIODS said:

No droop experienced but, I've had it that way since day 1 in the old shop.  That assembly hanging on the wall is quite heavy and I just wanted the additional support.  For me, it was well worth a few bucks in parts at the big box store.  It also helped me dial in "level" which was a bonus feature.

Thanks Kev.... for peace of mind it seems very much worth it.

• Like 1

Nice work Kev, you get things done fast!  Where did you get your slabs?  I have been looking for a source, difficult to find anything close to N. Idaho.  I sent a note to Matt Cremona to see if I could buy some of his maple slabs, didn't get a response yet.  He lives in MN so a fair ways away.  How much per bdft for the walnut, if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keggers said:

The shop is really looking good, Kev. If you mentioned this and I missed it I'm sorry. You said something about calking. I was wondering what you were calking?

So, I caulked up the CV for starters.  All those seams need attention.  And, I also caulked up the vent pipe on the pellet stove.

1 hour ago, Cheeset202 said:

Nice work Kev, you get things done fast!  Where did you get your slabs?  I have been looking for a source, difficult to find anything close to N. Idaho.  I sent a note to Matt Cremona to see if I could buy some of his maple slabs, didn't get a response yet.  He lives in MN so a fair ways away.  How much per bdft for the walnut, if you don't mind me asking?

I got them from Glacier Hardwoods.  He doesn't carry many slabs but, just happened to have those 2 on hand.  The pine slabs came from RBM lumber in Columbia Falls.  They only deal in local softwoods.