Shop Move

..Kev

5 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

The new shop looks great, Kev! I'm sure I missed it, how big is the new space?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Roughly 25 by 25 currently.  It's very expandable though.  I'll add about 15' to it at some point making it 25 by 40.

• Like 1

Moving is such a PITA, especially a shop.  More fun putting it all back together than it is taking it all down! Great video, the Nordfab ducting makes assembly and disassembly well worth the high cost of the initial investment.  Is your main trunk line 8"? I have the CV1800 with temporary PVC (6" main line) until I save up enough to do the shop with the Nordfab ducting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Moving is such a PITA, especially a shop.  More fun putting it all back together than it is taking it all down! Great video, the Nordfab ducting makes assembly and disassembly well worth the high cost of the initial investment.  Is your main trunk line 8"? I have the CV1800 with temporary PVC (6" main line) until I save up enough to do the shop with the Nordfab ducting.

The main is 7".  They designed the system and that's what they recommended.  I took the entire system down in a day so, if moving or changing your system around is in your future then, yes, it's a good investment.  As a side note, Grizzly sells the Nordfab piping as well so, you can just order a few pieces at a time if you'd like.  The only downside to them is that they don't have anything less than 4".

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to all the work still ahead but, I'm glad that I'm as far ahead of the game as I am.  We've nearly gone as far as we can go now.  I have a crew showing up today to help me get the monster gun safe (900 pounds) staged and then that'll be it for the all the big stuff.

I'm tired just watching the video ;).  Jealous though, it will be a couple of years before we move to our 'forever' house.  That just means I'll be a couple years older when I have to move the shop.  Setting up in a new place and applying what I've learned about my wants and needs excites me.  Tearing down the old shop build . . . does not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

The main is 7".  They designed the system and that's what they recommended.  I took the entire system down in a day so, if moving or changing your system around is in your future then, yes, it's a good investment.  As a side note, Grizzly sells the Nordfab piping as well so, you can just order a few pieces at a time if you'd like.  The only downside to them is that they don't have anything less than 4".

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to all the work still ahead but, I'm glad that I'm as far ahead of the game as I am.  We've nearly gone as far as we can go now.  I have a crew showing up today to help me get the monster gun safe (900 pounds) staged and then that'll be it for the all the big stuff.

Your moving a lot faster than I did. I moved my tools from Vancouver WA to Louisiana, put all my stuff in storage, never did build a shop because I realized I wasn't going to stay in Louisiana, moved to Idaho 3 years later, bought a house with a 30x40 shop, took me 3 months to unpack everything and set up the shop!  I was like a kid at Christmas unpacking all my tools!  Never moving again! Love it here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeset202 said:

Your moving a lot faster than I did. I moved my tools from Vancouver WA to Louisiana, put all my stuff in storage, never did build a shop because I realized I wasn't going to stay in Louisiana, moved to Idaho 3 years later, bought a house with a 30x40 shop, took me 3 months to unpack everything and set up the shop!  I was like a kid at Christmas unpacking all my tools!  Never moving again! Love it here

As long as I get lucky on my work schedule, I won't be taking that long.

• Like 1

I am sure you looked in to this, do you have some good hardwood sources where your new home is?  Rooms look so big when they are emptied of their contents.  I think I saw a tear running down the cheek of your pellet stove.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chet said:

I am sure you looked in to this, do you have some good hardwood sources where your new home is?  Rooms look so big when they are emptied of their contents.  I think I saw a tear running down the cheek of your pellet stove.

Yes, I've visited the new hardwood dealer a few times and I should be in good shape there.  When last I checked on them, they were working towards becoming a Festool dealer as well.  If I can talk them into carrying General Finishes as well I should have life licked ;)

Although this pellet stove is staying behind, there will be another one in the new shop.

Thanks..  I shot some video when I was there but, I need to get thru it all and figure out what I have and then get it put up.  There's also some stock pictures that I'll toss in the next video as well.  Obviously, when I get there, I'll get a lot more footage and take everyone along for the ride.

Just now, Woodenskye said:

Kev your really making some progress on getting packed up.  The nordfab certainly made taking down a breeze.  Is your Roubo on casters full time or did you just add for the move?

They're the flip up castors from Rockler so, the bench sits on the floor unless I want to move it.  I liked them so much for that bench that I may add them to the OF table as well.  They're a little expensive but, paid for themselves in this move!

2 hours ago, TIODS said:

They're the flip up castors from Rockler so, the bench sits on the floor unless I want to move it.  I liked them so much for that bench that I may add them to the OF table as well.  They're a little expensive but, paid for themselves in this move!

Thanks for the answer, I don't think moving the OF and Roubo without some assistance would be much fun.

• Like 1

Yes you really need to shop for movers, when I moved from Louisiana to Idaho I looked into the big moving companies and they all wanted 15-20 grand to do the move.  I found a guy in Texarkana who did the move for $6500! He did a great job, didn't have a fancy truck but loaded all my stuff out of 3 storage units (I was already in Idaho) and moved it here in 4 days!  I calculated out my cost and time to go down and get the stuff and it was a no brainier to spend the $6500. 

2 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Yes you really need to shop for movers, when I moved from Louisiana to Idaho I looked into the big moving companies and they all wanted 15-20 grand to do the move.  I found a guy in Texarkana who did the move for $6500! He did a great job, didn't have a fancy truck but loaded all my stuff out of 3 storage units (I was already in Idaho) and moved it here in 4 days!  I calculated out my cost and time to go down and get the stuff and it was a no brainier to spend the $6500. 

If I could have found something in that range, I probably would have jumped on it.  My cost will end up being about 2k plus a couple plane tickets home for the friends helping us make the move.  The drive is about 12 hours from here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I moved my shop last year and can attest to it being a major undertaking. I packed and moved several pickup truck loads of smaller tools, then hired a moving company to move some furniture out of the house so it could be put on the market to be sold. I told the moving company they needed a truck with a Tommy Lift (lift tail gate),  

They finally understood when they went to move my 20 inch planer. They had nothing suitable to lift it or move it, and the three guys were no match for it. We rolled it to the doorway and rigged a plywood ramp to the lift gate. Barely made it. The TS, Shaper, jointer, resaw, etc., were childs play by comparison. 

At this point, I still have a few things left at the old shop pending sale of the house there. Just in case I need to fix something at that house.   

Old shop and new shop...

59b9ddd349fd2_2013-12-2417_05_21.jpg.5db4b1b332f3e8341f488eac74dfb0d2.jpg

20160110_104241.thumb.jpg.a83acfc42ebd19597a0b20d0ff82cb69.jpg

• Like 2